Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by leonem View Post
    No need to copy link.. just use the send option on the map on your PC. Email it to your gmail addy.
    When you click on the link, it will open up the browser (I was able to do it from synergy but was probably still logged in to google from a previous session)
    Once the map is open in browser add it to your launcher with Menu --> Page --> Add to launcher.
    Exactly what I did, and worked first time. Thanks again rmausser! Now I just gotta remember how to change the icon....where's that Search button?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Silly question but how do I move around on the map? Normal page scrolling doesn't work :-/
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I don't think you can do that on WebOS. I'm not even sure if the Android or iPhone web browsers can. There would have to be a special key enabled for that, otherwise how would the web browser know the difference between someone who wanted to scroll the page versus scrolling the map?
    scrolling works on the iPhone.

Unless we find a way for this to scroll it's really useless..
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    scrolling works on the iPhone.

Unless we find a way for this to scroll it's really useless..
    How does it work on the iPhone? Is the page fixed so movement on the touchscreen only moves the map?
    Quote Originally Posted by leonem View Post
    No need to copy link.. just use the send option on the map on your PC. Email it to your gmail addy.
    When you click on the link, it will open up the browser (I was able to do it from synergy but was probably still logged in to google from a previous session)
    Once the map is open in browser add it to your launcher with Menu --> Page --> Add to launcher.
    This worked for me on my pixi 1.4.5 sprint.

Interesting. Anyone noticed the new top icons on google.com's mobile site.

Thanks guys
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    How does it work on the iPhone? Is the page fixed so movement on the touchscreen only moves the map?
    Seems like it, only the map moves when you scroll. To make the url bar appear you have to pull down on the maps menu bar, otherwise everything stays put.
    Advanced features that work

• I noticed the pop up info on map points work.
    • After tapping on a point you can scroll to the bottom for additional things like dialing or directions.

Tapping the phone icon will launch your dialer and populate it with the number just as tapping the directions icon will take you to that feature within maps.
    I noticed search history populates automatically. that's a nice feature.
    Is that possible to make it into an App? I believe it is ok to use Google Map API as long as it is for non-commercial use (i.e. you don't charge for the app). BFG Maps did the same and rather than charging for the app, it uses donation to get around it.
    When I clicked on the link in neato!, it opened up in the Google Maps app. Works pretty good for me...
    I don't know if this is the same for everyone, or if I'm missing something - but for me (Pre2 WebOS 2.1) I can't actually do anything useful with this.

eg: I want to get directions somewhere: I can get to the screen where you input the two places, and the drop down populates helpfully, but when I select something from the dropdown the box is still empty. So I try typing an address in to both boxes and press the arrow button, but nothing happens, the screen just refreshes to exactly the same screen.

Or I go to 'my maps' and see my starred items (which is very exciting, to actually be able to see your starred items - imagine!) but when I click on one it just goes back to the map where I was before.

The only way I could move around at all was to zoom way out, then touch another part of the map until I got a feature, then it shows the place-page for the feature, then click on the map button, then finally the map centres on that feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Alright so I found a way to just get the mobile site for google working.
    Works for me,
    let me know if it works for you.
    This is fantastic. And works (slowly) for me. I used the URL shortener offered by google when clicking the "link" button in the PC version of maps.

1. (this is the biggie) the location information is not used . When popping into this website I am asked if I want to allow sharing of location information (I clicked "always allow"). But the location button in maps takes a long time to time out and gives me "your location could not be determined".
    2. The Tool bar does suffer from performance issues when redrawing.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I second the call for an "app" (even though I normally don't like having an app instead of a browser link).
    Would be great if it worked full screen and if it were impossible to scroll the nav bar away...

And a short question: why on earth is this not the official app from HP/Google? Should be only minor effort to implement this. Don't want bing on my webOS gear, their maps are plain terrible (though I do like the bird's eye view).
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Ok so no one seems to be addressing the fact that you can't scroll the maps, thereby rendering this pretty much useless unless you actually know exactly where the place is....
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    You can't scroll on webOS, it works on iOS/Android though.

Essentially, we need a native app with Google Maps, not Bing.

Sadly, I can see that the webOS short-term future is Bing based so I've been forced to buy a Nexus S as a secondary device =/
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Great!

Love this on my pixi
    While this did seem neat at first, I'm failing to see how this is useful. I've saved my house as my original location. Sent the URL to my launcher, made an icon for it.

So I press my little launcher icon, and it opens (dammit i__maq your little mouse pointer drives me nuts sometimes ) the page showing my house. I press the (what I think) locate me button and nothing happens.

Can someone tell me how this is better than Native Google Maps? This doesn't seem to track me at all as I move. I've never had a problem finding things with the original, maybe I'm missing something.

Am I just supposed to have all my waypoints already inputed through the PC and then when I need to find them that's what this is for?

Yes my GPS is on while I was trying this.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    (dammit i__maq your little mouse pointer drives me nuts sometimes )

Ha Sorry
    it's ok call it karma ( I know I drive some people nuts sometimes, but hey, find something you're good at and excel at it )
    (dammit i__maq your little mouse pointer drives me nuts sometimes )
    Turn off signatures - that's what I ended up doing.
  20.    #60  
    While this did seem neat at first, I'm failing to see how this is useful.
    I started this post to see if it was possible to utilize this new mobile site. And for the most part the answer is yes. If you read the posts you would know rmausser's interest in using the API's to make a WebOS version. So you're failure to see how any of this is useful is because we are still experimenting to see what can be done.

So I press my little launcher icon, and it opens the page showing my house. I press the (what I think) locate me button and nothing happens.
    I'm not sure what phone or version of WebOS you're using but the webOS 2.x browser is now GPS-enabled. I don't think 1.x has that capability.

Can someone tell me how this is better than Native Google Maps?
    Again if you took the time to read the posts on this thread you would know the answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Just so you guys know I am interested in building a mobile version us the Google Maps API as well.

You wont be able to use directions because thats not offered in the API per say, but there are some neat features like birds eye view, terrain and transit and street view thats available and not offered in the mobile version of Google Maps.

It will just be search based or lock onto your gps location and you can just look around your area from there.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast