Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    When I try to install a patch and it fails, the IPKG log includes an entry about a .rej file, which presumably contains the version of the source file that would have been installed but was not due to a conflict. Is that file actually created?
    if so, where can I find it?

And is there a way to get holds of a patch without installing it, to see exactly what it will patch and how?

I'm having some trouble figuring out what two patches are conflicting, and instead of playing Patch Order Install Bingo, I would like to actually debug the problem. It's a good opportunity to learn something, anyway.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    When I try to install a patch and it fails, the IPKG log includes an entry about a .rej file, which presumably contains the version of the source file that would have been installed but was not due to a conflict. Is that file actually created?
    if so, where can I find it?

And is there a way to get holds of a patch without installing it, to see exactly what it will patch and how?

I'm having some trouble figuring out what two patches are conflicting, and instead of playing Patch Order Install Bingo, I would like to actually debug the problem. It's a good opportunity to learn something, anyway.

Thanks!
    When installing with Preware all those files get lost. If you really want to learn, you can:

1. Install the Palm SDK that matches your device version
    2. Install Preware to the emulator
    3. Uncompress the ipk files (hint, use "ar")
    4. Try to apply the patches manually.

I recommend the emulator so you won't mess around that much with your device.

Good luck with that

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    That's great advice, thanks. Although in this case, the question has resolved itself (by my finally realizing I was installing the wrong version of the Advanced Prefs framework).