Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Hello guys! This is potentially my last patch request for a while, if I get that Focus, but rest assured I will not be leaving these forums.

    We've all done it, left home and forgot to turn Wifi off first. With this patch, if you leave the coverage area and automatically switch to 3G, it also automatically shuts off Wifi to save battery!

    So whaddya say, eh?
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
  2. #2  
    You can easily use Mode Switcher to do this.
  3.    #3  
    Oh


    I must be too ******** to use Mode Switcher, then.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    You can easily use Mode Switcher to do this.
    Yes, & it works quite well. I've been using it for this for quite some time. It probably has a dozen other trigger events such as bluetooth connections, touchstone placement, GPS position. This along with all the rest of Sconix's patches are one of the few reasons I stay with WebOS. Sconix is the Man!
  5. #5  
    I keep hearing that modeswitcher is great, & I already agree Sconix is 'Da Man', so what am I waiting for? Time to visit the wiki page & get 'edgy'-cated on it's installation & use.
  6. #6  
    is there a battery hit for having mode switcher on?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    is there a battery hit for having mode switcher on?
    preeeety OT, but no. I would say not. In fact there is a thread on improving battery using MS by turning off radios when not needed.


    Just as an FYI to the OP: Mode Switcher for 2.1 is not yet in the public feeds. It will be on Monday or Tuesday, i think. If you want you can get it from the testing feeds.
  8. #8  
    I use mode switcher to control my data on demand mode and tweaked a patch someone did awhile ago to hide the wifi icon when not in use. I also setup the wifi to turn off when phone goes to sleep.
  9. mauro1's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #9  
    stoopid question but .. if you program the patch to turn off wifi when you leave the coverage area (ie the house) how would the program know when it is back within the coverage area and the wifi should be re-enabled?

    I also use MS to have 3G off by default except for "in the car" (BT connected + wifi disconnected + on touchstone == streaming music) and "data on" (5 minutes every 2 hours OR silent switch engaged AND not connected to any wifi) to get exceptional gains in battery life. So i have to remember to flip the switch if I want to use data while on the road. It is a simple enough operation.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  10. #10  
    In the wifi preferences there is an option to turn wifi off when sleep or not in use. When I am in a known network area and wake the pre up it goes to wifi, if not in a known network area evdo takes over if data is needed. Also when ever it is charging data is automatically on whether it is evdo or wifi. I never have to mess with data settings.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    stoopid question but .. if you program the patch to turn off wifi when you leave the coverage area (ie the house) how would the program know when it is back within the coverage area and the wifi should be re-enabled?

    I also use MS to have 3G off by default except for "in the car" (BT connected + wifi disconnected + on touchstone == streaming music) and "data on" (5 minutes every 2 hours OR silent switch engaged AND not connected to any wifi) to get exceptional gains in battery life. So i have to remember to flip the switch if I want to use data while on the road. It is a simple enough operation.
    It's called GPS! That's how it knows to turn it back on!

    Rob

    PS Or cell tower location!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  12. chris42's Avatar
    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    It's called GPS! That's how it knows to turn it back on!

    Rob

    PS Or cell tower location!
    You could also turn on wifi from time to time by MS and keep it on when it finds your home wifi.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    It's called GPS! That's how it knows to turn it back on!

    Rob

    PS Or cell tower location!
    GPS uses more power than WiFi, especially if the WiFi is just looking for an AP to connect to. I have GPS disables, with a MS mode to turn it on if I launch any app that needs it.

    Chris42's suggestion of periodically turning on the WiFi and keeping it on if there's an available connection is a good idea. Also, if battery life is your concern, don't forget to set Mode Switcher to disable the standard data radio when WiFi has an active connection.

Posting Permissions