Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    So, I had an idea to make a patch that would make autocorrect adaptive to individuals' typing tendencies. What if someone made it so that when I (literally) just typed "tendenfies" and clicked the red underline and selected "tendencies" there was some way to have it automatically add that as a shortcut (not that it is shorter, but that is the customizable portion of the dictionary in webOS) so that words I routinely mistype in weird ways would become a part of autocorrect for me? So this first situation applies to words that don't change automatically, but if you tap on the red underline webOS offers its best guesses. I just want to be able to map my typo to its correct pair then and there.

The other use involves bad overrides. I consistently type "thay"when I mean "that" but since I have a friend named Shay in my address book, webOS automatically overrides it to Shay (uppercase and all) instead of the more logical "that." I never remember to go add the shortcut, and so each time I have to backspace and type more carefully. I want to tell webOS once from the scene of the typo that "thay" means "that" from now on.

So what do you think? Would my idea work and/or be relatively easy to implement? Could it be configured with Tweaks to have different options? For instance, one person might want it added each time they accept a correction while another might only want the option to add (say after you accept it had the grey underline like it does when it changes automatically, but when you tap it gives you the option to map that typo to its correct word).

I also like using the shortcuts instead of directly editing the dictionary as I would be able to open it and swipe away an old one that has become unhelpful for whatever reason.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    No one else? I must be the only one who types badly in consistent ways.

I highly doubt that a patch could do what you're proposing... I would like it too.

In the mean time just enter the words you often misspell into the dictionary.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I think a patch could do it, so let me try one more time.

When something autocorrects, it gets a grey underline. However, when webOS doesn't know what you want it just leaves it red underlined until you tap it and select the word you meant. Then the corrected word has no underline. I want it to have a grey one then so I can tap it and have the option "+inderline>underline" which would map that without me having to remember to do it later.

The other change wouldn't require anything more. Say it autocorrects to the wrong thing, you tap the grey underline and change it back, now it is red and you tap it, select the right spelling. Now, it just needs the grey underline I can tap to map the misspelling (since I did inderline twice in this post, I guess I'll go add that one).

So all it needs to do is add an underline to user selected changes and remember what it changed from in order to offer the option to add it. That doesn't seem too hard to me, but I'm not very well versed in such things.