Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #721  
    Oh, and for those people who wanted my other patch (SDS) updated to work with SWW, here it is: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2949730

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    How's that dev device working out? I know before you mentioned that some things seemed to work on the emulator, but not for peoples devices... is having the device helping with that? Are you finding differences between them when you work on your projects?

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  3.    #723  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    How's that dev device working out? I know before you mentioned that some things seemed to work on the emulator, but not for peoples devices... is having the device helping with that? Are you finding differences between them when you work on your projects?
    So far, I haven't been able to reproduce most of the issues people have been having. SWW has been working fine. I've only had this phone for a short period of time though... It also helps to get a feel how my patches work on an actual device. The Emulator "screen" feels much larger than an actual device and has the pin-point accuracy of using a mouse to click things.

It also helps with seeing how fast things run. In the Emulator, everything is pretty much instant. One of the problems with SWW is that sometimes it can't get the Tweaks prefs fast enough to use them. In that case, SWW will use the default values I added to the patch. Adding a delay to the getWeather function gives the device enough time to retrieve the Tweaks settings. I didn't understand this issue until I started using it on my phone.

The device itself has been pretty good. Having some lag and unresponsive keyboard issues though. Not sure if that's a problem with webOS 2.1 or just my phone...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Oh, and for those people who wanted my other patch (SDS) updated to work with SWW, here it is: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2949730
    So, I have been doing some testing, and I have come to the conclusion that I don't need compatibility between your patches and Sconix's Advanced Menu patches.

Sconix's Advanced Menu "suite" consists of the framework, and 5 patches (App, Device, Mode, Power and Today). Of those patches, the only ones I was really using were the Device, Power and Today. Although there were other patches in existence at the time Sconix released his patches that performed most of these functions, I ended up using Sconix's because I liked the fact that his were all from a single developer (which I thought would ensure compatibility between them), I respected Sconix as a developer, and he devised a clever way to configure his patches once they were installed.

The fact that your patches aren't compatible with Sconix's is a major drag, but I have found it easier to live without his than yours. Now that you solved the incompatibility between your own two awesome patches, I decided to take a look back at the original patches I replaced with Sconix's, and to my surprise, they all worked just fine with your patches!

Instead of running Sconix's Device Menu, I am running Jason Robitaille's Device Menu Megamix.

Instead of Sconix's Power Menu, I am using Jason Robitaille's Reset Options on Power Button Hold.

So, about the only thing I am missing out on with these two patches from Jason is the ability to configure them like Sconix's. But, since Jason last worked on those patches, Tweaks has been released. Although Jason's patches are great as is, if he (or someone else) could be convinced to at Tweakability to them, they would be that much better.

I still have no replacement for Sconix's Today Menu patch, but earlier in this thread I did have some ideas for that involving a new Date&Time Widget.

Here's a list of topbar patches I currently have running simultaneously:

Statusbar Weather Widget v2.1 - Garrett92C
    Statusbar Device Stats v2.1.0 - Garrett92C
    Device Menu Megamix - Jason Robitaille
    Advanced Reset Options - Jason Robitaille
    GPS Icon On Top Bar - roto22, EdCates
    Ringer Switch Icon - Franz Rhmland

The only problem I have right now is that with so much being displayed on the right half of the statusbar, if all icons are being displayed, I lose the left-most one (GPS) under the time (which I am currently showing in the center). Once SDS has the ability to stack the battery % and cpu temp, I should be fine.

I would be curious to hear from others. Is it important that Garrett get these patches compatible with Sconix's Advanced Menus?
    Last edited by Ubuntite; 04/30/2011 at 04:06 AM.
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Yes.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Yes.
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    it would be nice but i agree with you that there are other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Yes.
    Agreed. It may be possible to put together patches to replicate most of the functionality, but I like the unified system provided by Sconix - and I do use the today patch and mode switcher.
    Last edited by alacrify; 04/30/2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
    If possible compatibility with Sconix patches would be great. Actually this is the only thing that keeps me from installing SWW...:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    If possible compatibility with Sconix patches would be great. Actually this is the only thing that keeps me from installing SWW...:-(

Try 1.5 - I'm using it with Sconix's patches and it works fine.
    1.5 here also with Sconix patches. If you really have to be able to tap for this & for that, to have more detail for the weather just launch a weather app. Its not worth being without all sconix patches for the ability to tap & launch a weather app. I know its a little more than that , but add the weather to my quick launch bar.

I mean its only temporary. I'm sure after some time they will be made compatible.
    that's not directed to you dreamcatcher, I'm just saying in general.
    Thanks for the input! Will give 1.5 a try :-)

I gave up on Sconix's patches because I found that they didn't add extra functions from the individual patches I used before, and in some cases were less innovative (e.g. Jason's Battery Percent Patch added color coding of battery states). With multiple patches I got additional flexibility and the ablity to better troubleshoot if there is a problem. SWW made this decision for me even easier as the flexibility afforded by the other patches allows me to continue to experiment and enhance functionality. I would rather see Garrett92C continue to enhance and innovate rather than worry about compatibility with Sconix's patches.
    Any updates coming for longer intervals?

16.    #736  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Any updates coming for longer intervals?
    Yea, hopefully releasing a small update tonight or tomorrow.
    How about getting it into preware? Only real thing stopping me from removing scionix patches and using this. Will your other patch sds make it in too?
    Thanks
    Aside from sconix sys menu patches; does SWW conflict with mode switcher or sconix's sys prefs patches?
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  19.    #739  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Aside from sconix sys menu patches; does SWW conflict with mode switcher or sconix's sys prefs patches?
    I haven't tested it with all of his patches, but I do know that SWW2.1 conflicts with his 'Initial Framework' patch...
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Sconix's Advanced System Prefs framework and patches install and run just fine with SWW. Also, Mode Switcher installs fine, but because I haven't begun to use it yet, I can't comment beyond that. I would assume that it runs just fine though.