Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Here are a few more screenshots, including an icon for the Date & Time Widget, and showing a bunch of combinations of Icon Only, Minimal, and Full Views of each widget.

I suggest that the user should be able to determine whether Minimal View and Full View include the Icon or not, in Tweaks. Users should also be able to configure Minimal and Full Views.

There probably should also be a way to include and exclude widgets from appearing altogether. Maybe a user only wants to show the Weather Widget. Or, maybe more widgets than these will get developed in the future.

For discussion...

i love this! I really love the first example with icons, then you touch one and it can expand to the information you want and then close it back up, just love it!
    what a great possibility
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    i love this! I really love the first example with icons, then you touch one and it can expand to the information you want and then close it back up, just love it!
    what a great possibility
    And that's exactly what I don't want. I want to look at the status bar, and see information, not a tiny app dock. It defeats the purpose.
    Thats why it would be user customizable or you have the option of not using it at all. possibilites are endless.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    And that's exactly what I don't want. I want to look at the status bar, and see information, not a tiny app dock. It defeats the purpose.
    Kinda like the last screenshot?

Plus, in the case of the Date & Time icon and the Weather icon, they aren't just icons, but actually give you information, provided that the clock icon could be made functional. But in any event, my proposal is that the user should be able to decide how he wants the statusbar to look, including the use of icons.
  5.    #585  
    Now for my comments re: SWW 2.1. In a word, awesome. Very nice improvements. I like the animations. Aesthetically, it looks great. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those weather apps, so I can't test for you.

So, I have a couple of requests for the next version:

1. Additional Tweak Status Line option: Temp + High Low. i.e. 10 (15 6). I know I have asked for this many times, so I guess if you are giving it the thumbs down, I would like to know what your thinking is. As mentioned before, I would use this as Status Line 1, and this leads to the second request...

2. Tweak option to disable the Temp next to the Icon. Of course, would only make sense if you added the option above.

3. Additional Tweak Status Line option: Today's Forecasted Conditions. (This would be my Status Line 2!) This would be different from the current conditions (reflected by the Icon), and would give the use a quick reference to see what today is going to shape up like. Again, I know I am repeating myself, but I haven't heard you weigh in on this one either.

Garrett, it might just be a case that you are a one man show, with a huge project on your hands, and dealing with being sick for quite some time. I can completely understand. I honestly can't believe you have been able to crank out as much as you have lately. Great job.

Whenever you get a chance, I would love to get your feedback on these ideas/requests, as well as my earlier ideas. Thanks.
    1. That should be easy to make since I'd just have to arrange that data on a line.

2. This one would be a little trickier due to the way the widget is currently set up. I'll look into it tho...

3. I don't think Yahoo provides that info...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  6.    #586  
    Thanks Garrett.

Here's a couple of mockups of the ideas I have been posting.

The first shows both the Time & Date and the Weather in Full View. The second shows them both in Minimal View.

It would be nice to have a way to simply toggle each widget between Full and Minimal view. It would also be nice to be able to simply drop down a menu for each.
    Well, I could make it so tapping the widget's icon toggles between minimal and full views.. I have no idea how to make drop down menus, so those are currently not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    3. I don't think Yahoo provides that info...
    Yahoo does! It is shown in the "5-day forecast". The first day is today, and the conditions listed there are not the current conditions, but the forecasted conditions for today.

For instance, in my area, Yahoo says the current conditions are Mostly Cloudy, but for today, the conditions are listed as Partly Cloudy.
  8.    #588  
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    I meant just the weather part, leave out moving the clock and any other features beside the weather stuff.
    Ah ok, gotcha. Yea I need to make SWW as small and simple as possible for better compatibility. I can add other features in separate patches if need be.
    @Garrett92C I love the idea from your patch big time. I'm just wondering if you are getting away from your original idea. It was a simple design which looked great and worked well.

I see people asking for this and that which is fine. If you're willing to update the patch for them great. but I feel like the mock ups and what not are getting to cramped for the top bar. Its not a huge space up there.

Its just my two cents and I hope people don't get offend but what I'm saying. I would just love a simple weather patch like you had started on that works with sconix patches or even doesn't work with his.

Again please don't take this the wrong way. Which I know some people might. Hopefully they won't.
    - Skinneejay -
    Well, I could make it so tapping the widget's icon toggles between minimal and full views.. I have no idea how to make drop down menus, so those are currently not possible.
    Have you looked at Sconix's Today Menu? That patch displays a drop-down menu. Maybe it will help you figure this out.

Once you can get that figured out, it will allow you to do much more. For instance, I think each widget should have two actions only: tap (to drop down menu) and tap-hold (to toggle views). The most common action, in my opinion, will be bringing up the menu, so that should be the tap option.

The menu will then give you more options to do other things. In the case of the Weather Widget, the menu could show the five-day forecast, and could have an item to launch either a weather app or a weather web site. I think putting that in the menu would be better than having too many tap options in the widget itself.
  11.    #591  
    Thinking more about compatibility with Sconix's Advanced Menu patches...

Assuming Device Menu and Power Menu can still be made to work, we are missing out on Today Menu and Mode Menu. I have outlined earlier that a Time & Date Widget could handle Today Menu functionality.

So, in regards to Mode Menu, how about implementing a Mode Switcher Widget? Maybe Sconix could even code it, or at least work with you on it. I think this widget idea should be the new framework for the statusbar.

Implementing a Mode Switcher Widget could look something like the attached mockups.

Single Tap: displays drop-down menu ala Mode Menu (one menu item to launch Mode Switcher)
    Tap-Hold: toggles Full/Minimal/Icon View

It might be nice for each Widget to have 3 views: Icon Only, Minimal & Full. Tweak options to define Minimal & Full. (To conserve even more space, maybe Minimal & Full Views could do away with the Icon, or maybe a Tweak option as to whether to include the icon in those views?)

The user could then tap-hold to toggle to the view he wants, and therefore could configure each widget to be in one of those three views.

As mentioned before, maybe the Time & Date Widget could use a working analog clock for the icon.
    Well, if I were to add anything close to the amount of data in those screenshots to the statusbar, I wouldn't be able to make it compatible with sconix's Initial Framework. His patch needs the statusbar set up a certain way.

To make this patch, I'd need to edit the same areas his patch does, which wouldn't work.
  12.    #592  
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    @Garrett92C I love the idea from your patch big time. I'm just wondering if you are getting away from your original idea. It was a simple design which looked great and worked well.

I see people asking for this and that which is fine. If you're willing to update the patch for them great. but I feel like the mock ups and what not are getting to cramped for the top bar. Its not a huge space up there.

Its just my two cents and I hope people don't get offend but what I'm saying. I would just love a simple weather patch like you had started on that works with sconix patches or even doesn't work with his.

Again please don't take this the wrong way. Which I know some people might. Hopefully they won't.
    I completely agree with you. I'm going to get SWW back to a more simpler form and make all that other stuff into a separate patch. I miss the simplicity of earlier versions of SWW too...
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    Not at all! Garrett should hear from as many people as possible. I am throwing up as many ideas as possible to generate discussion. It will be hard to satisfy everyone, but with enough customization, I think you can get very close.

Also, I have suggested that Weather, Date&Time, and Mode Switcher either be separate widgets, or that they should be able to be turned on or off by the user. In that case, you would be able to only display the Weather Widget, and configure it to just display exactly what you want: the icon and the current temperature for instance. Would something like this work for you?
  14.    #594  
    Here are a few more screenshots, including an icon for the Date & Time Widget, and showing a bunch of combinations of Icon Only, Minimal, and Full Views of each widget.

I suggest that the user should be able to determine whether Minimal View and Full View include the Icon or not, in Tweaks. Users should also be able to configure Minimal and Full Views.

There probably should also be a way to include and exclude widgets from appearing altogether. Maybe a user only wants to show the Weather Widget. Or, maybe more widgets than these will get developed in the future.

For discussion...
    Well, the icon would be kinda required since it's used to toggle between minimal, full, and other widget views... I could add options to Tweaks to disable widgets you don't want to see
    Well, if I were to add anything close to the amount of data in those screenshots to the statusbar, I wouldn't be able to make it compatible with sconix's Initial Framework. His patch needs the statusbar set up a certain way.

To make this patch, I'd need to edit the same areas his patch does, which wouldn't work.
    That's too bad. I would live without Sconix's menu stuff if you could make this happen, though!
    Well, the icon would be kinda required since it's used to toggle between minimal, full, and other widget views... I could add options to Tweaks to disable widgets you don't want to see
    Couldn't you just set it up that tapping anywhere on the widget would be valid: single tap -> menu, tap-hold -> toggle view?
  17.    #597  
    Yahoo does! It is shown in the "5-day forecast". The first day is today, and the conditions listed there are not the current conditions, but the forecasted conditions for today.

For instance, in my area, Yahoo says the current conditions are Mostly Cloudy, but for today, the conditions are listed as Partly Cloudy.
    I did find the "today's forecast" info, but yahoo only provides today and tomorrow's weather info. A five-day forecast kinda thing wouldn't be possible.
    Hmm... did I miss the link to 2.1?
  19.    #599  
    Couldn't you just set it up that tapping anywhere on the widget would be valid: single tap -> menu, tap-hold -> toggle view?
    I could, but then I wounldn't be able to really add any other tap functions to these widgets.
    I did find the "today's forecast" info, but yahoo only provides today and tomorrow's weather info. A five-day forecast kinda thing wouldn't be possible.
    The website shows the five-day forecast, but are you saying that programmatically you only have access to today and tomorrow? If so, that's too bad. This would be down the road once you get menus figured out anyway. Maybe another source for weather? Maybe scraping the Yahoo site?