webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [PATCH] Greek keyboard layout
[PATCH] Greek keyboard layout
Like Tree2Likes

Old 04/05/2011, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Well, I don't think anyone will care about this (Greek Palm users are very few), however this is my first patch and after spending many hours on it I just want to share it with the community. Most of the credits should go to shura, as its russian keyboard was the base for many other keyboards, including mine. Also, I'd like to thank A24 for making the first greek keyboard.

The improvement in this keyboard is that it supports both accents and diaeresis over greek letters (both lowercase and capitals). It has been tested and works perfectly in Contacts, Messaging, Dialpad, Memos, Facebook App etc.

REQUIREMENTS: GNU Patch and Lsdiff. Both available in Preware.

INSTALLATION: The best way is to copy the file in your phone and run it from there (through Internalz Pro for example, you run the .patch file and it installs). It can also be installed through webOS QI, however in some cases the encoding changes after the transfer and some letters may not appear.
Uninstallation is easy from Preware.
If you have previously installed another keyboard patch make sure you have uninstalled it.

EDIT The patch is now also available through Preware. Search "Greek accented layout for hardware keyboard". It's under the "Mojo" category.

USE: Double-tapping the SYM key changes between EN-GR. In order to put an accent over letter you press "q" and then the vowel you want. Diaereses over greek letters ι and υ are used with "Q" and the letter.

DISCLAIMER: I have installed and uninstalled the patch both in the SDK 2.1 emulator and my Unlocked 2.1 Pre 2 phone without ANY problems. However I'm not a programmer and using this patch is your decision.

PROBLEMS/KNOWN ISSUES:
* Until now, the only problem is that in the native browser greek letter σ comes as ς. The same problem exists in A24's keyboard. It probably has to do something with the browser. This does not happen in the browser search (see screenshot) or any other app from what I know.
* When typing in Just Type the first greek character comes always with an english character. The next greek characters appear normally. This happens also in shura's russian keyboard so it must be a Just Type thing. I don't know the reason for that and I'll be asking in the forum if anyone can help.
EDIT This problem has now been solved thanks to the solution by chansom. Follow the instructions in this topic: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...character.html
* There are no other known issues. If you have a problem tell me, but I can't promise I'll be able to help

SCREENSHOTS:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contacts.jpg (38.4 KB, 87 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg sms.jpg (32.1 KB, 68 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg web.jpg (37.1 KB, 60 views) Email Attachment
Attached Files
File Type: patch GreekKeyboard2.patch (12.9 KB, 115 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Loiter; 09/22/2011 at 02:29 PM.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by VasTheGreek and conan31709 like this.
Old 05/19/2011, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

thanks
pdasnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2011, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Very interesting !!!

Any chance to have this for Touchpad ?
I installed the patch via WOSQI but cannot switch to GR as no SYM key in TP.

Any suggestions or update maybe ?
mnikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2011, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

In the emulator the language changes with the CTR key, but the Touchpad doesn't have a physical keyboard so I don't think this patch would work there.
The patch changes the mojo.js to both "/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/" and "/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo2/". You can check if there are such files there and if they are similar to webOS 2.x files but I doubt it.
What you need is an alternative virtual keyboard.
Old 07/29/2011, 04:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
In the emulator the language changes with the CTR key, but the Touchpad doesn't have a physical keyboard so I don't think this patch would work there.
The patch changes the mojo.js to both "/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/" and "/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo2/". You can check if there are such files there and if they are similar to webOS 2.x files but I doubt it.
What you need is an alternative virtual keyboard.
Thank you for you great efforts, i am also a greek owner of Pre 2 and Touchpad.
Could you be engaged with a greek Virtual Keyboard project for touchpad?
I am willing to pay for that and i assume the same goes for other greek users.
So, any chance for you going into it?
v@gelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2011, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for not seeing it before. The problem with the TP is (apart from me not having one) that we are talking about a virtual keyboard and enyo, something different from what I have done.
I believe that it can be done, but you probably would want to contact people that have been doing VKs. Or at least contact someone "tech-savvy" with the TP and try to locate which files need to be changed. I'm sure that with TP being sold to non-english speaking countries, people will want other languages not supported.
If you indeed find what files need to be changed I will be glad to help you.
Old 08/18/2011, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the patch. It works perfectly.
stelloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another Greek TouchPad owner here. Would really love a greek keyboard on my tablet too!
diamantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Love it !!! Thank you Please port to TP !!!!
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fantastic! Thanks for providing this...waiting for a Greek layout since my Pre - . Now if only someone were to create a patch for the TP.
ytsentas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2011, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

The patch is now available in Preware too.

I don't own a TP, there is a very slim chance I'll be getting one. If I indeed get one, I'll give it a try. From what I know there is an effort to import other languages to the TP, check the Touchpad forum.
Old 11/08/2011, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Does this work with a 1.4.5.1 Pre Plus?
govotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2011, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
Does this work with a 1.4.5.1 Pre Plus?
No, I started working on a 1.4.5 version but unfortunately I don't own a legacy device and cannot test it.
If you are willing to be a test-subject tell me.
Old 11/08/2011, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
No, I started working on a 1.4.5 version but unfortunately I don't own a legacy device and cannot test it.
I'd like to, but I have a Pre 2. My father is the one with a Pre Plus, and experimenting for him won't work too well. He's barely understanding the basics & still needs frequent repetition of instructions. Considering his background, I'm often surprised he's gotten this far His problem is his English is so bad, people sometimes can't understand what he's trying to say. After all these years, he's still much more fluent in Greek.

I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to get something with an onscreen keyboard that can be changed to Greek. Do you, or anyone else, know of a phone that can do this?
Old 11/10/2011, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

You mean outside webOS? Greek virtual keyboards are available for both Android and iOS. However I'm not familiar with these systems. There are big greek communities for both these OS. You can check out or if you want I can ask friends of mine.
Although to be honest I wouldn't know which system is the more user-friendly for an older person. I think Android is the least from what I've seen.
Old 11/10/2011, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

If you could ask your friends what keyboard is the simplest, I'd really appreciate it. For my father, I'm really platform agnostic. Whatever OS I get him, I'll be setting it up the same way I setup his Pre - one page with the half dozen or so apps he uses. He doesn't understand computers well enough (and he's been trained enough) not to go beyond those.
Old 11/10/2011, 06:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

For Android phones there are greek keyboard available in the Market. Check out Multiling, it's a multilanguage keyboard which contains greek.
Old 11/18/2011, 02:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, I have a Palm Pre, webos 1.4.5, but the patch does not work. I am willing to help you with testing.

Last edited by studyhood; 11/18/2011 at 02:34 PM.
studyhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Loiter
Old 11/20/2011, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm kind of busy this week, but I will PM you.
Thanks !
Old 11/22/2011, 08:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm kind of busy this week, but I will PM you.
Thanks !
Thank you too.
studyhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0