Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I toggle data off whenever possible, to conserve power. If I open my browser without turning data back on, it tells me " You have no data connection would you like to turn on WiFi?"

    BUT, when I open my email client and send/receive, it doesn't give me any notice or reminder. It's only when I actually try to send an email that I get an error-undeliverable message, and I know it happened because I forgot to turn data back on.

    So, I have two patch requests...

    1) Just a simple reminder to turn data back on when I open the email client, and

    2) Maybe a straight forward patch that automatically turns data on when the browser or email or similar data-centric apps are open, and turns it off when they are closed.

    I've already used Mode Switcher and I found it very involved to configure. And, even when I know I did it right, my data would turn on randomly, when I wasn't using it, but not come on when I needed it, forcing me to disable Mode Switcher in order to turn data on.

    So... My second wish is for a simple (for those who know how to do it, of course) data on/off toggle patch tied directly to the email client, browser, and maybe some other key apps, so data can stay off unless in use
  2. #2  
    mode switcher should be able to do what you describe in #2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    mode switcher should be able to do what you describe in #2
    I know. But, as I mentioned, I find mode switcher to be very involved to configure, and not terribly reliable.

    If Mode Switcher were more like Quick System Tasks, it would be MUCH better. Since it isn't, a patch would do a much better job.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  4. #4  
    There are several threads about mode switcher and if you pop into one of those thread someone would probably be willing to share their mode where you can import into mode switcher.
  5. #5  
    go into the mode switcher thread, and look for a repository of modes. One of them is called data on demand. I use, love it, live by it.
    Takes getting used to, but so does having a battery that actually lasts after installing this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    go into the mode switcher thread, and look for a repository of modes. One of them is called data on demand. I use, love it, live by it.
    Takes getting used to, but so does having a battery that actually lasts after installing this.
    Hi,

    I've been away from this thread for a while, and I apologize for not stopping back to say thank you to everyone.

    I have used mode switcher in the past, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I set up data on demand (the one my drahgon, right?), but it would keep turning on data when I didn't want it, and turning it off when I did.

    I recently tried importing it, and following directions to get it running, but, no luck. Any suggestions? I would love to get it going properly, and understand how to use it.

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  7. #7  
    have you tried Quick System Tasks? Maybe that will be easier.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    There are several threads about mode switcher and if you pop into one of those thread someone would probably be willing to share their mode where you can import into mode switcher.
    Sorry for the very late reply. I hadn't meant to step away from this thread for so long. My reasoning for wanting a patch, is that mode switcher seems to be an overcomplicated method of doing what a "simple" patch could do.

    There is all sorts of similar functionality. When you open your browser without data, it tells you there is none and asks if you want to start WiFi. If you open GPS or Google Maps without Location Services activated, it tells you LS is required and asks if you want it activated. There is a patch that automatically turns on the GPS radio when you open Google Maps or Sprint Navigation, and turns it off again when you close those apps. So, it seems logical that there could be a patch that turns data on when any app that requires it is opened, and closes data when that app is closed.

    But, if this is not doable, or no one will do it, I can try Mode Switcher. Unfortunately, I have had very little success in getting it to work. I loaded Data On (correctly) turned data off when I needed it, or on when I didn't. I tried reloading and importing Drahgon's "data on" mode, and it imports, but, after following the necessary directions, I can't get it to work at all.

    Any insight?

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  9. #9  
    there are patches to put the data radio in the device menu, have you tried one of those?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    there are patches to put the data radio in the device menu, have you tried one of those?
    Thanks, I have, and I also used Quick System Tasks, so I have redundancy.

    I have been turning my own data off and on for a while, and it can be a pain. If I'm in a hurry, I don't always remember to turn it on, so what I am trying to do gets stalled, or off, so I just keep draining battery.

    I have tried mode switcher and could never get it to work right. I used the imported Data On mode, for turning data on/off for every app that requires it, and I have found that I can get the data to turn on, but it never turns off. I have also found that it is a noticeable lag between when I open an app, and when it turns on. I also find it to be convoluted. If it were written more like Quick System Tasks, where you just go through a list of the apps you want affected by it, and select them, it would be a lot easier. I can be technical when I need to be, but I prefer simple, on-the-fly, kinds of configurations.

    Conversely, the patches that turn GPS on when you open Sprint NAV or Google Maps, and turns them off when you are done, are great. The action is fast and reliable. Which is why I was hoping someone would write a similar patch for the data radio. Even if it becomes more of a "simple" app, or adds a control option to one of the system apps, where you can a check box on all the apps you want to affect data. It seems like a better path.

    But, this is just a patch request. I am but a humble user, and have only a general idea of how realistic some ideas are, and none of the sense of reality that comes from being a programmer. If I had the talent, I would have written it and shared it already.

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  11. #11  
    Mode switcher should be able to do this easily. If it can't it is possible it is a bug.
    Here is what i would do:
    set up a new mode

    Make Mode type: modifier
    Make Automation Auto Start - Immediate

    Go to "Settings"
    add a "setting" - Connection setting
    Make the connections you want to be activated to "enabled", and "do not set" for all the others (for example, make Data "Enabled", but make Phone "do not set".

    Go to "triggers"
    Behavior should be "One trigger"
    Add trigger - Application trigger
    Choose the application
    for "State" choose "on foreground"

    If that doesn't work post your exact mode by doing a mode export.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Mode switcher should be able to do this easily. If it can't it is possible it is a bug.
    Here is what i would do:
    set up a new mode

    Make Mode type: modifier
    Make Automation Auto Start - Immediate

    Go to "Settings"
    add a "setting" - Connection setting
    Make the connections you want to be activated to "enabled", and "do not set" for all the others (for example, make Data "Enabled", but make Phone "do not set".

    Go to "triggers"
    Behavior should be "One trigger"
    Add trigger - Application trigger
    Choose the application
    for "State" choose "on foreground"

    If that doesn't work post your exact mode by doing a mode export.
    Thanks, I will give it a try when I have a moment and get back with my results.

    Still gotta say though... mode switcher is VERY slow, even at 1Ghz. Yet, the patches that turn GPS radio on and off for both Sprint Nav and Google maps are instantaeous on/off. I guess I understand the loyalty to Mode Switcher because so many are using it, but the aforementioned patches are SO much faster and cleaner and really should set the tone for what people want in instant data on/off. But, I'm guessing this isn't in the cards, because Mode Switcher is the answer people keep giving.

    I will give it a try to see if I can get it running properly, but, honestly, even if it works correctly, my fingers hitting a data on/off toggle are easily 3-5 times faster than Mode Switcher, and I will probably just try to remember better to turn data off/on by hand.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  13. #13  
    Once you get mode switcher setup it runs in the background and you won't even notice it. I have been using ms for quite a while and really like it. It takes a while for the initial setup but it is well worth it. I am sure a patch could be written to give you a popup telling one to turn data on but ms works so well that moat people probably don't see the need. What version ms are you using?


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Once you get mode switcher setup it runs in the background and you won't even notice it. I have been using ms for quite a while and really like it. It takes a while for the initial setup but it is well worth it. I am sure a patch could be written to give you a popup telling one to turn data on but ms works so well that moat people probably don't see the need. What version ms are you using?


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I'm using the legacy version for 1.4.5. I'm not likely to upgrade my Pre- to 2.1
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I'm using the legacy version for 1.4.5. I'm not likely to upgrade my Pre- to 2.1
    Well if you want some help pm me and we could talk via im. I might still have my Ms 1.xx modes on google docs I can send you.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Posting Permissions