Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanaking
  1.    #1  
    I really don't like the method of quoting that webOS uses. (It reminds me of the paradigm that I first noticed with outlook users.)

I end up going through, by hand, and removing all of the quoted portions of folks' original email, which for some strange reason involves 2 steps. 1) Select the header portion (From/Date/Subject) and delete it, 2) select the body and delete it. Weird.

An ideal patch would give users an option:
    1) Don't quote email on reply
    2) Use traditional email reply method--their original message is at the top of the message (not bottom), with "> " preceding every line of their email.

I'm trying to play with this right now, but the reply and forward code are intermingled pretty deeply..

I searched the forums and couldn't find any patches like this, if there are let me know and i'll delete this thread.
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Tim Dugan likes this.
    I second this! Guess it's hard to do, or someone would have done by now. Needed for all phones and Touchpad.
  3.    #3  
    Dude. I hacked some code and got this to work, but it was neither elegant, nor configurable. It would never quote. I don't know how tweaks works, but as long as my edits didn't conflict with another patch, it should be easy enough to make it tweaks-compatible(?). Feel free to dm/tweet/whatever me to bug me to get it into patch form. Actually don't have it on my current phone so i need to do this for myself too

I don't think it's not done because it's hard (I'm no JSJSJS $champ$), $but$ $likely$ $not$ $folks$ $interest$/$priority$. $No$ $worries$, $we$ $have$ $us$
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
  4.    #4  
    OK! Thanks to tim's persistent bugging (as i asked for , i have produced a patch! My first! As alluded to above, it's quite simple, only stopping the logic from working.
    If people like it, I can submit it to Rod/preware folks.. well, feel free to post any thoughts/critiques. It doesn't look to conflict with anything (though I'm _sure_ it would conflict w/ the outlook mimic patch, so it'd be nice if we could combine forces!

(I was using this edit on my Pre+, now i can be happy on my pre2 again!

Oh yeah the touchpad.. i'm in desperate need of a developer touchpad so this will be harder for me to do..

OH! I forgot to mention: This patch was only tested/used on 2.1.0, as i don't have any other device versions on me now. It looks like the app changed enough from 1.4.5 to 2.1 that this won't work on 2.1, but i can get access to a veer easily tomorrow if any are interested in that!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sanaking; 09/26/2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: who will handle the tp? oh, it's a 2.1 patch
  5.    #5  
    We've given sconix a donation to work on this, so consider this issue mainly resolved.
    (Reference:
    [Patch] Mimic Outlook Formatting )

As Tim (and I (and others I hear??)) had desired, this is on phones and touchpads. It's better that sconix do it, as he's got the skills, it's in a tweaks-compatible patch (rather than making 'yet-another-patch'), and maintains well.

I've recently picked up a Republic wireless phone, and I really like the way the android gmail app has an option for including quoted text, or replying inline, and in the future, that's what I'd like to see in my webOS devices as well. For now, the option to not have quoting at all is a good step.
    I don't use Outlook so I am probably missing something: I installed the patch on my Pre3 and set it to Outlook through tweaks. Still, I don't notice any difference in formatting the repiles compared to the original application. Specifically, I don't find a way for inline or bottom posting.
    Is there any setting that I am missing?

thanks
    Piersante