1.    #1  
    hey would there be a way to come up with a patch to route text messeging over wifi?.
    now that I think of it an app would be better, but could you do that if ur avoiding fees?
    I'm asking because my pre is off contract now and I only have wifi. I know I could use an online I'm. But sms is the one way I can contact anyone with a phone.
    Im not sure but if it is possible it would be very handy bc i dont get service at my house but i have wifi
    you can send an sms from email by knowing the syntax of the recipient. vzw is phone@vtext.com and they should be able to reply to it.

You can also go to the web site of most carriers and send a text from there.

otherwise, you need voice services because sms rides on the voice channel. I'd suggest you check out using google voice or another chat app that can communicate with sms users.
    yes google voice would be your best bet. You get a free phone number where you can call from a pc or whatever phone you might have and you also get to send and recieve texts from pc or whatever phone you might have. win-win
  5.    #5  
    thanks guys, I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankwhite8536 View Post
    hey would there be a way to come up with a patch to route text messeging over wifi?.
    now that I think of it an app would be better, but could you do that if ur avoiding fees?...............
    Search the catalog for SMS. There are a couple of SMS over Internet texting apps that can use WiFi (or 3G-data).

iDialPlan SMSi offers sending SMS over WiFi or 3G Internet. It is provider independent. So you can choose your SMSi provider, including those offering free services, at the expense of some initial provider setup effort. There are 2 preset SMSi providers.

iDialPlan SMSi offers also many extras including 8 preset messages; small-group texting; long message handling; adjusting contact numbers on the fly into the required SMSi format; foreign character support; route the text through the Pre SMS client for numbers that cannot be reached over the Internet. It is a send only app.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 03/17/2011 at 02:49 AM.