Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was wondering if it were possible to make a patch to change the language of the text assist to one different from the OS language.

For example I like to use my phone with english menus and all, but I live in Mexico so all of my texting is in spanish, so I thought it would be nice to have a patch which would let you choose the language you write in.

Thanks in advance
  2.    #2  
    anyone???
    I wish there was a way I could get both Spanish and English on my Pre 2. I'm having a hard time with the autocorrect.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    +1 i write in english and german and it is not useable with auto-correction on.
    +1!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    yes, please!
    Por favor, Bitte
    I would also love an easy way to switch languages :-)
    I am native Dutch working in an international English environment. I refuse to accept that this can't work on this 1Ghz device with 16Gb of memory while it worked brilliant on my Tungsten|C almost 10years ago (ok in combination with Documents to Go). So please more languages and easy switching. It's 2011 for crying out loud. And yes I am willing to pay for this (although even Google Chrome/Firefox and yes even M$ IE browser does this for free)
    I just turned off autocorrect as well, since writing in Norwegian made 95% of the words change to rubbish and made writing very inefficient.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I'm Dutch as well and would like this too. At the moment I disabled the autocorrect, because it was quite annoying when texting.
    +1, this is a pain when you switch between different languages in your communication! I would require this for the TP
    Has anyone considered trying to build installable "learned words" auto-correct libraries for this purpose?
    +=1

A "learned word" library is a good idea! But how do you do this efficiently?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    If someone accomplishes this, it would be awesome to use the notification area for switching languages
    Or device menu...
    There is an easy solution for changing the text assist language on the Touchpad:
    Just add another keyboard (same layout) with the desired language. You can change the language with a new key on the keyboard. The text assist uses the language of the current keyboard.
    Hi Dodnet,

the additional Keyboards works for the languages in the system.
    Dutch e.g. is not listed

As such, we would need a way to add a new Keyb layout & get a dutch word-list in the system.
    Does any one know the location of the dictionaries .db ?

Also, it would be good to have a keyboard or patch (notification bar?) to switch on or off autocorrect easily
    tx
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Another problem with the additional keyboards approach (vs the learned words approach) is with regards to multi-lingualism. Like the multi-lingualism that results, por ejemplo, when two people communicate in piu d'una lingua in comune .
    I'm sure that the previous sentence throws for a loop anyone (person or system) that doesn't share the same three "dictionaries" I used to write it. If you then consider the fact that a poliglot may have interlocutors in any subset of its own common languages, or superset if one consider languages where mastery is limited, then any scheme that establishes a single language is flawed if it tries too hard, as it'll get in the way.

PS: yes, me too +1,000 for having an autocorrect feature that is usable in multi-lingual situations.
    Last edited by mauro1; 12/13/2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added a PS
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Longing for this patch, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast