Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    No. But I have a lot of events that I migrated from a Treo, so who knows what weirdness might be lurking in some.

I wish there was a sanity checker that I could run. Either on the google account or I could export a copy from Google.
    You can export your google calendar. See directions here: http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=15285
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    That would be really nice!
    Tweaks works perfectly.

Unfortunately, google sync is a node service being patched and with the non-blocking way the tweaks call has to be implemented in the PalmCall; it doesn't work as needed in this instance. The call back from the tweaks call comes back after the service is first started and it always takes the hard coded value on that first run. The service then stops until needed again and it repeats the same process when another sync is started. It might work if it was a new service that then started the sync service. But I don't want to mess up google sync. There are enough bugs as is.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Thanks for trying!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
  4.    #84  
    Updated UberCalendar21_3-3.patch here:

http://forums.precentral.net/2982900-post2779.html

I did a little cleanup for recurring events, might help.

@carrel - you should update to this version.

Are you syncing more than 1 webos device or on the web at the same time? There are some glitches I've found when doing this -- mostly make sure you only edit on one method at a time. If you are going to switch to the other device or web, make sure you get a good sync between all devices or sources first. There is not a lot of version control in google calendars nor webos (yet??? - I hope they are doing some in enyo), so it is pretty easy to get those non-matching version errors when syncing. Also, if you are monitoring the events on the web while trying to sync, don't hit the "save" link in the google detailed event page. Use the "back to calendar" link or you will increase the version number for that event -- regardless of whether you changed anything, resulting in a sync error.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Updated UberCalendar21_3-3.patch here:

http://forums.precentral.net/2982900-post2779.html

I did a little cleanup for recurring events, might help.

@carrel - you should update to this version.

Are you syncing more than 1 webos device or on the web at the same time? There are some glitches I've found when doing this -- mostly make sure you only edit on one method at a time. If you are going to switch to the other device or web, make sure you get a good sync between all devices or sources first. There is not a lot of version control in google calendars nor webos (yet??? - I hope they are doing some in enyo), so it is pretty easy to get those non-matching version errors when syncing. Also, if you are monitoring the events on the web while trying to sync, don't hit the "save" link in the google detailed event page. Use the "back to calendar" link or you will increase the version number for that event -- regardless of whether you changed anything, resulting in a sync error.
    Thanks! I will try this in a few minutes.

As far as the syncing goes... I have my phone syncing to google and I use the web interface to google calendar all day long. Plus my calendar account includes my daughter's and my son' calendars which appear in my google account so they appear on my phone. Both kids have Palm phones and they have their calendar's and some of mine on their phones. Plus I share the kid's calendars and some of mine with my Ex. So Yeah... I could see some non-matching version errors. But it does seem odd that I am getting errors right away after freshly loading the calendars.

Is it possible to get the google calendar into a state on Google where it will download fine but be in a state where nothing can go back to google??

Last night I removed the calendars on the Pre. I then removed the 12b48f patch since I want to debug this with less data. (I still have the Uber 12-3 and the extended characters patch.) I rebooted (webOS, not just Luna). Then I waited a bit and then re-enabled the calendar. I fell asleep and in the morning it was synced, but I for one calendar if I changed the color in preferences, it wouldn't change on the calendar. I have seen this before. The color change sticks in prefs, but never changes in the cal even if I change it again in prefs. So I removed the calendar again, rebooted and reloaded. This time it came down clean. I waited a long while for it to all sync and eventually reset my colors and started to play. I create an event on google and it sync's fine to the Pre. But then if I edit a repeating event I can no longer edit or add any events on the Pre and have them sync to google. Google events still sync fine to the Pre.

Anyway, THANKS for the new code. I will try now and report after unpatching/restarting/patching/rebooting/syncing/waiting...
  6.    #86  
    I've seen a lot of others post recently about calendar color changes. Strange.

I have seen it when it will down sync fine, but will not up sync. I have been lucky though, I can usually get a good sync. There are some times when the Pre2 will up sync new events, but will not update a specific instance of another event. I do not know the reason why. Perhaps, webOS thinks it already sync'd that event or the database doesn't update the revision number correctly. I can usually get that instance of an event to sync, by making another change to it -- I usually, just change a word or two in the note or change the icon using UC.

When I'm testing, I usually open a browser card on the phone and go to www.google.com/calendar This takes you to the mobile version of the calendar. It seems to help keep the connection to google alive and I don't have to wait that long to see if things can sync. On wifi, the sync will sometimes be quick enough that by the time I back swipe out of the edit scene in the calendar app and switch to the browser card, the event will have sync'd. I do tend to have to hit the refresh link on the mobile calendar website in day view (not the webOS reload button). It does not seem to auto refresh that often. It's also an easy way to send an invite, make the event as needed in the calendar app then after it sync's edit the event on the mobile website -- there's a place on the bottom where you can send invites.

Thanks for testing these patches out, hopefully we can find the root cause and get rid of 1 more sync issue.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    At the risk of sounding like a dummy, would this work with 2.1.2 or is it strictly for 2.1?

It is only for 2.1 & 201. I will post to Preware after enough users report success.

For webos 2.1 & 2.0.1 only!!

edit: added google_201_12b48f.patch for 2.0.1

This patch simply changes the settings for your first sync with a new or newly enabled google calendar account. Please consider donating to webOS internals for all the amazing work that they do. Patch will be posted to Preware.

Default google sync behavior -- limits are 1 month back and 2 months forward on the first sync. All other syncs are change syncs. No matter how far in the past or in the future your event is, if you change the event after your first sync is completed -- it will show up in your calendar the next time it syncs.

Patch google sync behavior -- limits are 1 year back and 4 years forward on the first sync. All other syncs are the same as above.

Applying the patch -- You must disable the google calendars in the accounts app, apply the patch, then restart Luna. If you have many google calendars, enable them one at a time. The first sync is best done over wifi especially if you have a lot of events.

*** A word of warning to anyone thinking about modifying the patch *** DO NOT modify the "syncInterval" or "maxSyncResults" numbers, these seem to be batch processing related. In my experiments, changing these numbers lead to stability problems.

cheers
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarquez View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a dummy, would this work with 2.1.2 or is it strictly for 2.1?
    It's a good question. You should be able to run google12b48f.patch.

Let me know if it errors on install.

I installed your patch and it worked fine on a Veer with 2.1.2. Thanks!

It's a good question. You should be able to run google12b48f.patch.

Let me know if it errors on install.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ouch... OK, I uninstalled the Uber 12_3-2 patch and preware said it was clean and offered to restart Luna. I did. Then I went to install 12_3-3 and Internalz got an error. Seems NONE of the patches succeed and the reason was that the uninstall didn't happen, even though the 12_3-2 patch is no longer reported as installed. Ugh... I reversed it all by hand and made sure I had clean files. Then Internalz patched in 12_3-3 just fine.

Now the good news. This is working MUCH better. It's not perfect, but I think I am seeing a rationale for what isn't working. I am seeing some weird behaviors related to events in the past. I am working on an exact reproducible set of error conditions. (Don't have it yet.)

And I have a question. If I have a weekly repeating event, and I modify the time of just one occurrence, that does (mostly) work now. BUT... (there's always a but) if I look at that modified occurrence in Google it has the icon for a repeating event with a line through it indicating that it seems to know that it USED to be part of a repeating event. What's weird is that if I go to that occurrence on the Pre, select it and then delete it, I get the popup offering to delete the entire sequence or just that event or the entire sequence. Is that right?? Since I previously modified that occurrence should it still be that connected to the repeating sequence? I wasn't expecting that, but I'm not sure if it is a bug or not.

Thanks so much for all your efforts. And I'll figure out a repeatable sequence for the last few weirdisms I am seeing. (Sorry it just takes a while to make changes and let them sync ...)
  11.    #91  
    Ouch... Seems NONE of the patches succeed and the reason was that the uninstall didn't happen, even though the 12_3-2 patch is no longer reported as installed. Ugh... I reversed it all by hand and made sure I had clean files. Then Internalz patched in 12_3-3 just fine.
    It's ugly when patching goes bad. Glad you got it sorted.

Now the good news. This is working MUCH better. It's not perfect, but I think I am seeing a rationale for what isn't working. I am seeing some weird behaviors related to events in the past. I am working on an exact reproducible set of error conditions. (Don't have it yet.)
    That's good news! Let me know if you come up with a pattern. Is it old 1.4.5 webOS events or old treo events?

And I have a question. If I have a weekly repeating event, and I modify the time of just one occurrence, that does (mostly) work now. BUT... (there's always a but) if I look at that modified occurrence in Google it has the icon for a repeating event with a line through it indicating that it seems to know that it USED to be part of a repeating event. What's weird is that if I go to that occurrence on the Pre, select it and then delete it, I get the popup offering to delete the entire sequence or just that event or the entire sequence. Is that right?? Since I previously modified that occurrence should it still be that connected to the repeating sequence? I wasn't expecting that, but I'm not sure if it is a bug or not.
    It's correct if you do a "this occurrence". I don't recall if this is the way 1.4.5 was, but 2.1 uses gdata2 api's and it is smart enough to know the event belongs to a set. If you do "this and future", then UC will make a new recurring series based upon the new changes and it will not be linked. That feature is only in UC. I'm not sure how google does it, the unpatched calender app doesn't do it.

Thanks so much for all your efforts. And I'll figure out a repeatable sequence for the last few weirdisms I am seeing. (Sorry it just takes a while to make changes and let them sync ...)
    No worries, you're doing all the work. I'm just glad we're making progress.

Thanks so much for your great patch. I have updated the patch to do an initial sync of 10 years both forward and back. here is that patch if anyone wants it. I have tested it on 2.1 and 2.1.2 and it works on both.

This should show up in Preware shortly.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    It's like a scene from Spinal Tap.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Thanks so much for your great patch. I have updated the patch to do an initial sync of 10 years both forward and back. here is that patch if anyone wants it. I have tested it on 2.1 and 2.1.2 and it works on both.

This should show up in Preware shortly.
    Great.

You might want to put a note in the description warning that it could take a long time for those with a lot of entries. I could see it taking all night with a lot of entries.

15.    #95  
    @carrel - those wierdisms your seeing. It wouldn't be with events that have reminders beyond the normal popups is it - like google email reminders, etc? Or with events that don't have a duration? Or events from 1.4.5?

I just noticed that the veer doctor has some changed behaviors in it's code. I'm thinking about testing these behaviors out in an updated patch.

16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    Thanks for trying!
    I think I figured out how to do it. Seems to work.

I'm thinking about combining the patches into a "google sync behaviors patch" that would include these fixes plus enable tweaks support for first sync. That way if more sync fixes are discovered, I don't have to keep generating names, etc. What do you think?

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    @carrel - those wierdisms your seeing. It wouldn't be with events that have reminders beyond the normal popups is it - like google email reminders, etc? Or with events that don't have a duration? Or events from 1.4.5?

I just noticed that the veer doctor has some changed behaviors in it's code. I'm thinking about testing these behaviors out in an updated patch.
    Sorry... I haven't gotten back on this earlier. Got real busy...

First off, things are actually really good. I have modified quite a few events and seen them all sync normally. I think you have dealt with most of this. I did experience a sync failure early on and I took some notes, but I wasn't thorough enough. I need to reproduce it or its just hearsay.

I don't create events with reminders other than popup, but I can't say for sure that NO event in the calendar has anything other than popup. I also don't think I have any events without duration. I do have "all day" events that don't really have a duration. Do you mean that? I also have many all day events that span many days. But I don't think there are any events with a start time and NO stop time. As for events from 1.4.5, YES, I have lots of those. How is that bad?? What can I look for specifically? I even have events from my Treo (and I got my pre- on day 1). Every now and then I find comments in an event with the DateBook+ tags still there.

I can export a copy of these calendars from Google and search for problems that way. But I had an idea? Can you create a "sanity check" mode that searches the entire calendar for events that are "problematic" and suggest changes (either to be made on the Pre or on the web). Or I can write a sh/sed script to run on an exported calendar if that is better. I'd be happy removing or modifying events that mess up the sync if I could just identify them.

And I'll happily test any new changes from the veer.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I think I figured out how to do it. Seems to work.

I'm thinking about combining the patches into a "google sync behaviors patch" that would include these fixes plus enable tweaks support for first sync. That way if more sync fixes are discovered, I don't have to keep generating names, etc. What do you think?
    I like it.
  19.    #99  

I don't create events with reminders other than popup, but I can't say for sure that NO event in the calendar has anything other than popup. I also don't think I have any events without duration. I do have "all day" events that don't really have a duration. Do you mean that? I also have many all day events that span many days. But I don't think there are any events with a start time and NO stop time. As for events from 1.4.5, YES, I have lots of those. How is that bad?? What can I look for specifically? I even have events from my Treo (and I got my pre- on day 1). Every now and then I find comments in an event with the DateBook+ tags still there.

I can export a copy of these calendars from Google and search for problems that way. But I had an idea? Can you create a "sanity check" mode that searches the entire calendar for events that are "problematic" and suggest changes (either to be made on the Pre or on the web). Or I can write a sh/sed script to run on an exported calendar if that is better. I'd be happy removing or modifying events that mess up the sync if I could just identify them.

And I'll happily test any new changes from the veer.
    I mentioned those things because those are the behaviors that the veer changes. I haven't seen too many complaints from veer owners of google calendar sync issues. I'm going to parse out the differences and see which ones make sense. The fix for the recurring events has been addressed in the veer in a different way than I did it, but at least I know now I was in the right spot.

The veer also adds some code for handling 1.4.5 events that versions less than 2.1.2 don't have.

I don't have a list of bad event characteristics yet, I haven't figured out any patterns myself. I think it's more a problem of how to handle events from different sources. It will be interesting to see how many changes are in the touchpad, as that device is going to be the first that is designed with concept of multiple webOS devices in use.

I'm glad things are working better. I'll put up another version for testing after I test it out. Thanks for the feedback.

@frantid great idea to have combined patch for all limitation fixes.
    Could you please also update the first posting as many links there in the text area seem not to work.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast