Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Hmmm. Ok. My real problem is syncing a calendar created by a Facebook app called fdCal. What this app does is allow you to subscribe to your Facebook birthdays with another calendar, such as Google or Yahoo. Unfortunately, WebOS does not support ical calendars, so in order to get my fcCal birthday calendar onto my Pre, I have to go through an online calendar.

I tried this with Google Calendar, and with your patch it works just fine, except that some birthdays span two days! Only a very few.

I then decided to try with Yahoo! Calendar. There seems to be similar problems on Yahoo! Calendar as well, so I am not really needing Yahoo! support any more.

Strangely, Google Calendar shows all birthday events as single, all day events, but when synced onto my Pre, some be come two-day events on my Pre. Yahoo!, on the other hand, displays some (different than the synced Google ones) as two-day events.

I think those two-day event problems stem from timezone issues with Facebook, and there may be nothing that can be done about that.

I would be interested in hearing from others who may have tried this, or who have another solution.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I think those two-day event problems stem from timezone issues with Facebook, and there may be nothing that can be done about that.

I would be interested in hearing from others who may have tried this, or who have another solution.
    This is correct Facebook calendar does not support timezones. So google must be interpreting it and assigning it a timezone, then if it doesn't match up with the phone timezone it gets turned into a 2 day event. Unfortunately, nothing can be done. If you google it, there are a lot of complaints on the web about facebook calendars and timezone issues.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    am i correct to say besides a 2 year old event and a event already dated now 5 years in the future, the 2.X calendar will behave like 1.x calendar now (when this patch applied before the first sync)?
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    It will sync changes only after the first sync. So it no longer behaves like 1.4.5 at all. As you move around in time, it will not sync events that haven't changed.

Personally, I think it is more efficient this way. In 1.4.5 the calendar always asked the server for events, so it was always waiting on a response though it had a record of the events in storage. It is similar to the differences between imap and pop email.

Of course the default limits are too narrow. And don't make sense for people that already have a calendar history.
    Ah now i get it: it is even more efficient than the 1.4.5 calendar sync (less communication), but gets nearly rid of the 2.x stock calendar problem having a too narrow timeframe at the first sync.

Now the biggest bummer of 2.x is history for me and i will jump on board.
    Is there a similar solution available for Exchange activesync calendar? I am search for a resolution of this problem since the first time I have my Pre (-). Palm and now HP never resolve this issue in their update.

Because I am not a developer I have no idea on how to resolve this problem myself. I trust the homebrew community and really appreciate their effort enough to have update my pre minus to webos 2.1 and it work really good.

Thanks in advance for the time and effort you could put in resolving that problem.

Regards,
    frantid,

I had used this patch on my Pre 2 before I doctored to 2.1. It fixed the terrible lack of forward events. I have not applied the patch under 2.1 yet, I wanted to see how many bugs got fixed in the calendar app.

Under 2.01, the Google sync never got any additional days after the initial sync, and pretty much never moved data from the phone to Google. I would have to say the calendar was broken.

Under 2.1, the calendar seems to stay about 8 weeks ahead. It fetches new days to keep the interval the same in the background. I still have events that don't move from the phone to Google, but not all the events like before.

So I have a question about your patch. When you change the initial sync range, a lot of additional data comes down from Google, that seems to work fine. You state that the regular behavior does not change. Will the background fetching maintain the 2 year forward buffer or will it just get the 8 week buffer?

Another option to your patch would be a sync date menu item, where the user can select a date or date range to get from Google, outside of the buffer dates.

Later,

John
  6.    #26  
    the patch only changes the very first sync after adding a calendar. It does not affect performance beyond that. I can't make a preference as this is a service and has no front end. I know many have asked.

If you did OTA, then your calendar was not added back in so you don't experience the problem. If you remove the account and add it back you will only see the 2 months.
  7.    #27  
    @cmflouis I don't think active sync has any limits. You may need to check your account settings in email as exchange uses those for scheduling sync.
    Hello Frantid. You seem like an intelligent guy. Please take a look at this huge support thread regarding a google calender sync problem.

Any idea on how to fix this ? HP Palm apparently doesn't care.

strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Google... - Support Community
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by TorsteinKongshem View Post
    Hello Frantid. You seem like an intelligent guy. Please take a look at this huge support thread regarding a google calender sync problem.

Any idea on how to fix this ? HP Palm apparently doesn't care.

strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Google... - Support Community
    There are a lot of issues in that thread, which ones in particular are you looking at?
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    @ frantid,
    so after doctoring my Pre2 with WebOS 2.1, applying both your extended calendar sync patch and extended characters patch, and then re-syncing my calendars (pretty long with the extended calendar sync patch), everyting works like a charm.
    Events created on the device, with strings containing accented characters do now sync up to the Google calender flawlessly.

THANK YOU!

How can I donate to thank you for all the hard work you did on UC and on these patches?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    the patch only changes the very first sync after adding a calendar. It does not affect performance beyond that. I can't make a preference as this is a service and has no front end. I know many have asked.
    Could this be implemented as a Tweaks setting?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
  12.    #32  
    That's a good idea.
    There are a lot of issues in that thread, which ones in particular are you looking at?

Agreed, there is a whole range of Googe calender sync problems. Start with this one : duplications of events : Re: strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Go... - Page 10 - Support Community
  14.    #34  
    I'll look into it. What version are you using -- Verizon Pre2 2.0.1?

edit: nevermind I see you have a Pre2 from the UK? Are you running 2.1? There are a large number of bugs fixed in 2.1 from 2.0.1.
    Last edited by frantid; 06/05/2011 at 08:03 AM.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by TorsteinKongshem View Post
    Agreed, there is a whole range of Googe calender sync problems. Start with this one : duplications of events : Re: strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Go... - Page 10 - Support Community
    I believe I have fixed this. Thank you for the detailed steps to reproduce.

If you don't have any calendar patches. I suggest you turn off the google calendars in the accounts app, then install both patches in this thread. The sync patch ensures you will get all current data not just 3 months worth on the first sync. The extended character patch makes sure any events with extended characters will sync. You will have to then install the latest UberCalendar patch to get the fix. I applied it to UC because it would conflict otherwise. I just uploaded it to the thread ver ubercalendar21_3-1.patch

You need to install them and luna restart after installing each one.

Then enable your google calendars one at a time and let them sync before turning on the next one(unless you don't have that many events < 40 or so total), best if done on wifi.

let me know how it goes.

I am suffering from problems with calendar sync with google as described in the above thread ('strange behaviour...'). And even heavier: On the Pre, I am even loosing some of the 'My Calendars' defined in google, so that some entrys are marked as 'undefined' when I want to select them on the Pre... I have the same problems with Yahoo Calender New, too, so this solution is not for me. And no free Exchange around...

@frantid: I want to try your patches, but could not find 'ubercalendar21_3-1.patch'. Via preware there is only UberCalendar 2.1.0-88. Where to look?

german Pre- on WebOS 2.1, no calendar patches (yet).
  17.    #37  
    @Flexman - you need to install the testing version from the UC thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/2982900-post2779.html

the last number is a sub version number, you just need to make sure to use ...21_3 versions.

I just installed the extended character patch and ubercalendar21_3-2. Now syncing calendar with google... didnot install the sync patch, dont care about how much is synced the first time, device is in wifi range most of the time. Hope I did not mess it up this way?

Will report if it helps. Usually the problems dont occur right after first sync, but in the next few hours, days...
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexman View Post
    ... didnot install the sync patch, dont care about how much is synced the first time, device is in wifi range most of the time. Hope I did not mess it up this way?...
    It won't mess anything up. But it won't sync any pre-existing events past the 3 month range - if you turned off and on the calendar account. The events will be on Google but won't sync to your device until you make a change to them.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Then enable your google calendars one at a time and let them sync before turning on the next one(unless you don't have that many events < 40 or so total), best if done on wifi.
    I really hope I'm not asking a dumb question, but how do I sync one calendar at a time?? Or do you mean one account at a time? I have one account, but it has 5 calendars. Is there a way to enable one of those at a time for syncing?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast