1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone could create a patch to automatically switch to 2G when the Pre is in sleep mode, and back to 3G when it's switched on? But if wifi is connected, switch to 2G but wifi remains connected. I think this would be a great battery saver patch.

I'm on Pre 2 WebOS 2.0.1 btw.

Thanks all.
    (Note: I'm not familiar with the possibilities/impossibilities of WebOS 2.0)

If I'm not mistaken, this can be done with Mode Switcher.

1) Create a new modifier mode that sets the data to 2g only.
    2) Create an activation trigger when the display is off AND when the phone is on a wi-fi connection.
    3) Set the "Trigger" behavior to "One Trigger."
    4) OPTIONAL: Set the "Notify" behavior to "disabled" if you don't want a banner every time your screen comes back.
    Will this work with a Sprint Pre?
  4. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    This may be a bad idea, I'm not 100% sure, but i believe 2g uses more battery than 3g.
    While the 2G radio "might" use less power than 3G - it will take longer to finish the data traffic - so the radio will be used longer - which is not good for battery life. Dunno what the net effect is - but I would not expect any noticeable improvements from this.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzader View Post
    (Note: I'm not familiar with the possibilities/impossibilities of WebOS 2.0)

If I'm not mistaken, this can be done with Mode Switcher.

1) Create a new modifier mode that sets the data to 2g only.
    2) Create an activation trigger when the display is off AND when the phone is on a wi-fi connection.
    3) Set the "Trigger" behavior to "One Trigger."
    4) OPTIONAL: Set the "Notify" behavior to "disabled" if you don't want a banner every time your screen comes back.
    Actually, you are not using 2g if you have a wi-fi connection. The phone defaults to wi-fi if it is available. I think you would want to check to ensure you don't have a wi-fi connection.

Like others, I'm not sure if this would gain you any battery life, but what's the harm in trying, right?
    Dan
    If you want to miss phone calls while you're receiving email or transmitting any type of data, then this is a great idea.