1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm struggling to find any links for what I want so I don't mind if I'm merely pointed in the right direction....

I'm a developer and I want to write something for my beloved pre. To start, I have something I want to patch that I haven't found anywhere else, nothing major, just a source of annoyance and probably only to me personally!

Closest have seen is this but it doesn't really tell me what I want...

Main thing is I want to get developing so I don't really care if there is a patch out there already.

I've got the emulator set up and rooted into it. I understand that I need to modify existing files, but:
    - where do I find the source?
    - is there a spec / guide to webos and how it is structured?
    - what language is it written in?
    - do I need to build / compile after editing?

I'm specifically interested in how typing with keyboard / auto correct, etc work, and how I go about changing it. I expect it's a core function and probably pretty low level compared to an app but I have no idea about finding where it is.

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    Wow, all those views and not even a link :-D

Am I the only one struggling to get started?
    I was curious about this too. I want to write a patch that disables the fat finger filter on launch, since it seems that it disables on reboot and I have to go to terminal to re-enable it.
    Here's patch making in a nutshell:

1) Download a webOSDoctor

2) Open webOSDoctor with something like winrar and extract the full ROM (you may get symlink errors; ignore those)

3) Copy any files you want to edit (leaving the originals intact)

4) Make any modifications you want

5) Use Unified Diff Creator to create the .patch file

At which point, you can apply the patch with WOSQI or Internalz. You can also submit the patch for the feed if you'd like
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5.    #5  
    Jason,

Thanks for the reply - that has definitely helped!

I've also come across this which should help too.

Thanks again.
  6.    #6  
    Ok.... making some progress on this.

I've found that what I want to change is actually a part of the mojo framework - I want to modify how the shiftlock works, but I can't seem to find the source of this, even in the framework included in the SDK. I can see how they can be called, but not where the actual source is or the actual images used.

Am I able to edit the framework code in this case?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonomitch View Post
    Ok.... making some progress on this.

I've found that what I want to change is actually a part of the mojo framework - I want to modify how the shiftlock works, but I can't seem to find the source of this, even in the framework included in the SDK. I can see how they can be called, but not where the actual source is or the actual images used.

Am I able to edit the framework code in this case?

Thanks.
    shiftlock itself is probably hardcoded in some binary. You could always create a globable keypress listener and handle keypresses manually
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook