Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi all,

here are two patches for BFGmaps BFG Maps | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community and klicktel klickTel | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community to support Navit for routing.

Both patches add an additional entry to use Navit for routing where you normally can select google maps.

You need to have Navit and the fileMgr FileMgr Service | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community service installed. You can install both from Preware.

Please post your feedback here. I will submit them to Preware if they are working for others too.

Here is the code to launch Navit for routing. For all developers how like to add Navit routing support.
    Code:
     	new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://ca.canucksoftware.filemgr', {
     		method: 'write',
     		parameters: {
     			file: "/media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/destination.txt",
     			str: 'type=former_destination label="'+ name +'"\nmg: ' + lat + " " + lng + "\n",
     			append: true
     		},
     		onSuccess: function(payload) {
     			new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
     				method: 'open',
     				parameters: {
     					id: 'org.webosinternals.navit',
     					params: {}
     				}
     			});
     		},
     		onFailure: function(err) {
     			Mojo.Controller.errorDialog('Set destination failed');
     		}
     	});
    HaPe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HaPe; 02/13/2011 at 05:21 AM.
    This will not work in the appcatalog. They scan for such APIs. I had a call to filemgr inside MapTool and it was refused after they enhanced their scanner.
    A legal way would a kind of echo server where you post the data to and receive an ID which you can use to download a file.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I had that idea too, but you would need to have a service somewhere. I would prefer to hand the information over to Navit without using some web-service.

That are the ideas I had:
    1) use mojo startup parameter. Not possible as a PDK app can not access them
    2) use mojo startup parameter an convert Navit to a Plugin in a mojo app. Currently we can not run Navit as a plugin. The screen Init API call fails. Wy? Not idea.
    3) create a cookie and read that in the PDK app or the startup shell script. I did not find a way until now to access the copy
    4) write the parameter to /var/log/messages by a mojo debug statement. Not possible as a jailed PDK app can not access /var/lo/messages

If someone have a good idea post it here.

HaPe
    What about something which is in /media/internal? The external db is there, or?
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Yes I can access all files from /media/internal, but how to get the data there from mojo?
    Can a mojo app place something there at a special place that I can check when Navit starts?

All I found is that mojo apps can write cookies and to there one sqlite db. Are the any other options.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Installed using webosquickinstall for patch, Pre rebooted by itself, checked webosquickinstall for patch (it was listed), started bfgmaps went to directions, entered location and destination, got google directions but saw no button for NAVIT. Can you show a screen picture?
    Ok, sorry for that. You need to find your Target by the normal search function (the magnifying glass).
    Then tap on the house icon that is shown at the found position.
    You will see a pop-up Menu with some entries, including the "Route with Navit" Entry.
    This will work the same way in the BFGMaps favorites screen.

If you search for "hamburg hotel" you will get small icons on the screen. When you tap them you have a "Directions to" entry. If you select it you will get a Dialog asking if you want to use Navit or Google.
    That one is not fully working for me as the entries seem to have no coordinate values.

HaPe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    OK it worked.
    Does this actually work to 'send' a destination from BFGMaps to Navit? I have successfully installed the patch from this thread, but I am not sure how to get Navit to see the destination after selecting 'Route with Navit' from BFGmaps' home icon.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sethron View Post
    Does this actually work to 'send' a destination from BFGMaps to Navit? I have successfully installed the patch from this thread, but I am not sure how to get Navit to see the destination after selecting 'Route with Navit' from BFGmaps' home icon.
    You only need to wait. The routing will start in Navit as soon as Navit is started from BFGmaps. It can take some time until you see the rout as navit needs to calculate it.

If you open the menu in Navit and see a button 'sto navigation' then the route is in calculation.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    You only need to wait. The routing will start in Navit as soon as Navit is started from BFGmaps. It can take some time until you see the rout as navit needs to calculate it.

If you open the menu in Navit and see a button 'sto navigation' then the route is in calculation.

HaPe
    Ah, yes, patience. Thank you.
    HaPe, is there a way to add the calculated destination as a Bookmark? I am confused by the menu choices once Navit routes it. (v0.5.0.4353-1)
    I had that idea too, but you would need to have a service somewhere. I would prefer to hand the information over to Navit without using some web-service.

This looks to be possible with the new HomeBrew Gate app: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...brew-gate.html
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    This looks to be possible with the new HomeBrew Gate app: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...brew-gate.html
    Hi, thanks for that info.

Currently we work into a different direction. Last weekend Noradtux was able to get Navit started a hybrid app.
    This is a big step forward for many plans. One of them is that we now can add launch parameter support in Navit. So we can add the same launch parameter as GoogleMaps support.

All apps can then call Navit for routing as they now can do it with GoogleMaps. So no need for an Patches anymore.
    The big target is to be able to get Navit show up in the menu of webos for your preferred routing app. If we get this working then you would even be possible to call Navit when you select an address in your contact.

Don't expect this to happen tomorrow, but that is the target direction.

HaPe
    Currently we work into a different direction. Last weekend Noradtux was able to get Navit started a hybrid app.
    This is a big step forward for many plans. One of them is that we now can add launch parameter support in Navit. So we can add the same launch parameter as GoogleMaps support.

All apps can then call Navit for routing as they now can do it with GoogleMaps. So no need for an Patches anymore.
    The big target is to be able to get Navit show up in the menu of webos for your preferred routing app. If we get this working then you would even be possible to call Navit when you select an address in your contact.

Don't expect this to happen tomorrow, but that is the target direction.

HaPe
    Any updates?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Any updates?
    Yes, you can find Navit-Maps in the testing feed. It is a helper app for Navit and fulfills the tasks that we was talking about.

Later on Navit-Maps and Navit will be merged into one application.

There is a special thread in the forum for Navit-Maps.

Hape
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    This is great news. I'd like to add Navit to DataJog so that users can send directly from their desktop and launch navit.

App review from webos-blog.
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    This is great news. I'd like to add Navit to DataJog so that users can send directly from their desktop and launch navit.

App review from webos-blog.
    your welcome. Contact me if you have any questions.

HaPe