View Poll Results: Do you want this effect on your (HP) Palm device?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

52 76.47%
  • Hell no!

1 1.47%
  • Hell... Maybe.

15 22.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Hey all, just came across this really cool new tweak that jailbroken iOS devices are enjoying:

It's kind of a glasses free pseudo 3D effect which makes it seem like the icons are floating above the wallpaper, which let's admit, will make our Palm devices look EVEN cooler!

I have absolutely no idea how this would be done so if anyone does please have a go!!!
    I was a maybe until I watched the link. Not sure about how that would affect battery drain, but that is pretty darn cool. Warlord9159, you have your work cut out for you now

And the soundtrack sold me as well
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I was a maybe until I watched the link. Not sure about how that would affect battery drain, but that is pretty darn cool. Warlord9159, you have your work cut out for you now

And the soundtrack sold me as well
    Lol, haven't come across any complaints about the battery drain on iOS devices so far, unfortunately it doesn't work on iPads so I can't test it out on mine. People already look at my Pre+ and go "Woah, WHAT is that sexy little device?"! I know eyes will pop out if the icons appear to float above the wallpaper I muted the video though cos I was listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack (yeah you can tell I have a thing for futuristic plasticy 3D holographic-y things )
    that is funny. I like Daft Punk, and I did rip that soundtrack thinking it might have been closer to a concept album, but that truly is a soundtrack. I guess I should have been tipped off by the word "soundtrack" haha.

it was Pearl Jam "Blood" fyi

as far as battery I think I was comparing, in my head, to 3D animations ala Warlord9159
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Ah ok, I haven't come across the 3D animations you're talking about, care to link them?? The TL OST is simply awesome, combination of electronic and orchestral, can't go wrong!
    This is a good idea! I don't think it possible to do though. In webos 2.0, we can't really modify the Launcher at all...
    It's not "3D" at all. It's just a matter of moving the background image in an opposite direction of how you tilt the phone. Amazing how 3D this effect looks though.
    I watched about 5 videos on this. All I wanted them to do was switch from one launcher page to the next to see how it was. None of them did it. AAhhh. lol. Would be cool if we could do this. Theoretically, I would think its just linking the wallpaper to the accelerometer. But I'm not a developer, I dont know how hard it would be or even if Palm has made that possible for developers.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Yeah I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head jsgraphicart, but it remains to be seen how easy or difficult it proves to be!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I watched about 5 videos on this. All I wanted them to do was switch from one launcher page to the next to see how it was. None of them did it. AAhhh. lol. Would be cool if we could do this. Theoretically, I would think its just linking the wallpaper to the accelerometer. But I'm not a developer, I dont know how hard it would be or even if Palm has made that possible for developers.
    It wouldn't matter; the background would kind of stay as it is with the icons scrolling. I think the effect would still be there. EDIT: the icons would still be "floating" above the background while scrolling.

You either need an oversized image or one that tiles so you don't "hit" an edge.

EDIT: If I ever get off my behind and start a PDK project, I think I'll try to implement this for the menu system.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Yeah I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head jsgraphicart, but it remains to be seen how easy or difficult it proves to be!
    The Launcher in 2.0 is very limited as far as customization goes. We can't even add more icons per row any more.
    in the old palm days you could replace the launcher with one of your own choosing, is that possible in webOS?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The Launcher in 2.0 is very limited as far as customization goes. We can't even add more icons per row any more.
    As of right now. Maybe when the SDK is released, people will find a new way of doing this. *fingers crossed*
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    in the old palm days you could replace the launcher with one of your own choosing, is that possible in webOS?
    No. There are apps that act as launchers but there is no way to actually replace the default launcher as of now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    It wouldn't matter; the background would kind of stay as it is with the icons scrolling. I think the effect would still be there. EDIT: the icons would still be "floating" above the background while scrolling.

You either need an oversized image or one that tiles so you don't "hit" an edge.

EDIT: If I ever get off my behind and start a PDK project, I think I'll try to implement this for the menu system.
    I figured scrolling works. But they made it look like an app that just had that effect instead of the actual launcher doing it. I just get irritated when I cant control videos I watch. lol. About the oversized image, If adding an image as a wallpaper thats bigger than 320x480, does the pre crop an area to 320x480 and discard the rest of the image? That would be the first step. To see how webOS handles wallpaper sizing and all. You are right, you would need a bigger image. Otherwise you would have blank spaces on the sides as it moves.
    I LOVE this!
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Is it just for the iPhone 4? Because i think its linked to the gyroscope. The accelerometer isnt sensitive enough to create that sort of effect. The gyroscope is way more capable of pulling it off.

I love it though. I doubt it would drain battery either. There wouldnt be an accelerometer on any phones it it drained that much power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Is it just for the iPhone 4? Because i think its linked to the gyroscope. The accelerometer isnt sensitive enough to create that sort of effect. The gyroscope is way more capable of pulling it off.

I love it though. I doubt it would drain battery either. There wouldnt be an accelerometer on any phones it it drained that much power.
    You could be right. I forgot about that darn gyroscope.

Has anyone played that game "Labyrinth" for webOS? The environment moves in a 3d fashion as you tilt the device. Maybe thats a clue into how it could be done with the accelerometer.
    how canwe download that theme so we can look at it ?

that looks so cool.
    but the accele don't work with the launcher in 145 or 2xx
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast