View Poll Results: Do you want this effect on your (HP) Palm device?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

52 76.47%
  • Hell no!

1 1.47%
  • Hell... Maybe.

15 22.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord9159 View Post
    3DBoard is a somewhat gimmicky jailbreak tweak that utilizes your iPhones accelerometer to create 3D looking icons. How does it work? The developer hasnít specifically said, but it looks to me that 3DBoard adjusts the location of the wallpaper background and shadows in relation to the icons based on movement, which gives the appearance of the icons floating over the iPhone screen.

3DBoard will be on the Cydia store soon for $4.
    Sounds pretty straight forward if it can be done. Just like we have been mentioning in this thread. Linking the wallpaper to the accelerometer and making the image shift according to the tilt. The shadows would be the tricky part but are they really needed? Especially since the icons on webOS arent locked to show all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    There is a game for DSiWare in japan that actually uses the camera (front facing) to monitor where your face is and adjusts the angle of view on screen acordingly. Very cool effect.

Japanese DSiWare game uses camera to create illusion of depth | Joystiq
    Thats more of a hardware thing though. This is just a tweek to give the illusion of 3D.
    accelerometer = no go.
    How I see, without an API for the launcher to use the accelerometer we can not do this
    With the screen locked in portrait mode in 2.xx we still don't have accelerometer for the launcher
    They did open it up for the TS.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

accelerometer = no go.
    How I see, without an API for the launcher to use the accelerometer we can not do this
    With the screen locked in portrait mode in 2.xx we still don't have accelerometer for the launcher
    What kind of APIs does the iPhone have for the launcher? Seems like they have more than we do and the iPhone launcher doesn't even do anything. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    What kind of APIs does the iPhone have for the launcher? Seems like they have more than we do and the iPhone launcher doesn't even do anything. lol
    they have use of the accelerometer, and from what I read so far, so dose the droids.

Why they have this is beyond me lol.
    can the ifone do landscape in the launcher?
    can the Androids do the same?
    Last edited by warlord9159; 02/01/2011 at 11:52 AM.

I'd like to see webos have more options. With Android, you can completely replace the stock Launcher and home screen with a third party one. You can customize it so it behaves exactly like you want it to.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    3DBoard is a somewhat gimmicky jailbreak tweak that utilizes your iPhones accelerometer to create 3D looking icons. How does it work? The developer hasnít specifically said, but it looks to me that 3DBoard adjusts the location of the wallpaper background and shadows in relation to the icons based on movement, which gives the appearance of the icons floating over the iPhone screen.

3DBoard will be on the Cydia store soon for $4.
    Hmmm... I didn't notice shadows in the video. That would be tricky as not all icons are square/same size. I think it could work without shadows. Just a matter of figuring out patching the background and if you could finagle the accelerometer to give the desired results. The accelerometer can be "calibrated" to have a starting point at varius angles, so why couldn't you reset the at rest position after each move?
    they have use of the accelerometer, and from what I read so far, so dose the droids.

Why they have this is beyond me lol.
    can the ifone do landscape in the launcher?
    can the dorids do the same?
    This lack of launcher options is saddening me. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Hmmm... I didn't notice shadows in the video. That would be tricky as not all icons are square/same size. I think it could work without shadows. Just a matter of figuring out patching the background and if you could finagle the accelerometer to give the desired results. The accelerometer can be "calibrated" to have a starting point at varius angles, so why couldn't you reset the at rest position after each move?
    Can we call for the accelerometer to be used with the launcher.
    I have not seen any documentation's on this.
    Hell, we can't even use animated gif's icons on the launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'd like to see webos have more options. With Android, you can completely replace the stock Launcher and home screen with a third party one. You can customize it so it behaves exactly like you want it to.

It would be awesome for an OS to come out where you can completely create your own UI from the ground up with access to every part of the phone. I can only dream. lol
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Wow, great to see all the discussion going on here!! So I tried both 3DBoard and DeepEnd (the 2 main tweaks that do this effect) and DeepEnd wouldn't work on my iPad as it requires a gyro, and 3dBoard doesn't work so well on the iPad, I.e. Looks nothing like it does on the iPhone in the demo video. Probably due to the fact that it's not using the extra axis available to an iPhone 4 with a gyro. Which doesn't sound too good for the WebOS devices that don't have a gyro :-/
  12. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    It seems less likely that the launcher would do this and more like someone would just have to program an app. There are already several app launcher app in the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    It seems less likely that the launcher would do this and more like someone would just have to program an app. There are already several app launcher app in the app catalog.
    Those launchers don't replace the stock one though...

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  14. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Those launchers don't replace the stock one though...

Yah, but this is pretty gimmicky and would take up way too much battery life on a platform that already has battery problems. I seems more like something cool that you can use to show your friends than something you would use on a daily basis.
    yes, it would be only a cool factor.
    but who don't like cool
    damn, I'm 40ish (on the low side i will add ) and i like cool ltm.
    But I just can't see any way to make this work as to the limitations of the launcher access that we have .

yes, it would be only a cool factor.
    but who don't like cool
    damn, I'm 40ish (on the low side i will add ) and i like cool ltm.
    But I just can't see any way to make this work as to the limitations of the launcher access that we have .
    ROFL! Still older than me!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    ROFL! Still older than me!

Sent from my eVo
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Okay, gramps!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    this is pretty good. would love to see it on webOS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123