1.    #1  
    Howdy all!

If most of you haven't noticed by now, by my previous posts of questions ontop of questions (which have all be quickly answered, this community rocks, and I can't thank you all enough), I'm still fairly new to WebOS. I know how to install and uninstall patches and themes, overclock, etc, etc, etc... But...I've never been around for an update (I picked up my Pre literary a day or two after 1.4.5 hit), and I don't know what I should do with all my patches, themes and Govnah.

With the recent hint HPalm shot out, I thought I'd better ask this before I ruin my device.

Any input, advise, instructions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    01/19/2011, 08:42 PM #2 (permalink)
    VeeDubb65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one that comes up with every update. The vast majority of your apps (probably all of them) will continue to work fine. Any that don't, will just sit there until you uninstall them or they get update.

As for patches, pretty much any patch that is installed through Preware or WebOSQuickInstall will be safe to leave in place. However, they will be replaced with 'dummy packages' on your first updated, and will stay that way until they are re-done for the new OS version. Because WebOS 2.0 is such a MASSIVE upgrade, I'll be removing all of mine just in case, but that's just because I'm paranoid.

All themes should be removed before any update.

virtually the same question in another thread started almost the same time as yours was answered above
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    So, you will remove all patches, but not apps? When will you remove them? (I'm also too new to know what I'm supposed to do.)
    You dont have to remove apps. All the apps you got from the Palm Catalog will be fine. I've only been through one update myself and if I remember right, the homebrew apps might not be there. Someone chime in on that. Patches and themes though, should probably be removed before this update. 2.0 will not support most of the 1.4.5 patches and themes. although in sledges post its mentioned that "they will be replaced with 'dummy packages' and will stay that way until they are re-done for the new OS version." I myself am going to start fresh before the update and remove all patches and themes.
    I am a bit of a n00b myself, so please bear with me. Will there be any forewarning before 2.0 installs so that I'm able to remove my patches/themes? If not, is there a way to set up my Pixi so that it asks me prior to installing instead of just automatically doing it? Any info would be great. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJayne View Post
    I am a bit of a n00b myself, so please bear with me. Will there be any forewarning before 2.0 installs so that I'm able to remove my patches/themes? If not, is there a way to set up my Pixi so that it asks me prior to installing instead of just automatically doing it? Any info would be great. Thank you!
    You will be advised that an update is available and asked if you wish to download it. You don't have to do it immediately, but cannot opt not to indefinitely. (I think that you can delay it for a week or so.) The onboard HELP program provides a section on updates.
    Also might want to backup your /media/internal/ directory off your phone. I believe 2.x will format that directory
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Also might want to backup your /media/internal/ directory off your phone. I believe 2.x will format that directory
    Maybe if it's updated through a Dr but there's no way an OTA update would be allowed to format like that and delete pics and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Maybe if it's updated through a Dr but there's no way an OTA update would be allowed to format like that and delete pics and such.
    good point.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJayne View Post
    Yes, you will be notified that an update is available. You can actually download it but you can defer installing it for a little while. Be forewarned that it might download and install it without your consent if you leave it on a charger and idle for a long period. There is a way to disable the update daemon so you don't have to worry about getting the update if you don't want to - do a search in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    OTA updates don't format/erase the usb partition.

Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    The last webOS doctor that did a full erase of the device was ver 1.2.1. All newer versions DO NOT touch the usb partition. I will speculate that neither will 2.x.x - but to be safe, backup your usb partition regularly.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!