Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Is there a approval process the patches go though, so people can't purposely mess up our phonen?
    Theres an approval process to get your patch into the default patch feeds that go into your preware app, so id say that are no spyware patches in those feeds. Webos internals reviews submissions and im sure keeps those kind of things out. Plus, the traffic of new patches in those feeds have slowed, so im sure submissions r way down, making it even easier to review them and keep any malware out.
    I dont believe you are right... The patch approval process is really just a format testing, meaning they are only tested to see if they are the correct format.

Patches are not tested individually to see if they are what they are supposed to be, nor is there someone who tests each patch.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    Is there a approval process the patches go though, so people can't purposely mess up our phonen?
    There is a human approval process for patches to enter the Preware patches feed.

Whilst each patch is examined for obvious security threats, they are not individually tested to prevent unintentional damage or ensure operation as advertised.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The patch (and ipk feeds to some extent) really seem to follow the Android Market style.

For patches, there's a basic test to apply the patch on the stock webOS files for the particular weOS version you're submitting the app for. If the patch fails to reply, the patch gets rejected by the system and the submitter gets an email saying patch denied. If it applies successfully, it gets added to the feed.

Obviously patches with names that imply malware/warez would be reject off the bat by the person doing the apply-test.

And in circumstances where thing do go wrong, all you need to do is report the issue to WebOS-Internals and they'll look into it (and remove the patch if needed).

Using Ad Blocker patch as an example. Someone submitted an updated Ad Blocker patch that included a block on Metrix. This causes developers issues, not to mention was responsible for 0 ads, thus shouldn't be in the patch. I talked to Rod about it and within minutes the issue had been corrected.

So, generally if there are dangerous patches in the feed they get removed/fixed quickly.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    For patches, there's a basic test to apply the patch on the stock webOS files for the particular weOS version you're submitting the app for. If the patch fails to reply, the patch gets rejected by the system and the submitter gets an email saying patch denied. If it applies successfully, it gets added to the feed.
    Note that this is not automatic. There is a set of humans who drive this process (with a lot of helpful automated sub-processes) and who do look at the patch code to catch any obvious security issues.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ad blocker patch is misleading as it blocks Google Analytics but not Metrix.

I don't agree with that premise (imo, if missing Metrix causes issues, app dev is on the hook to fix it), hence the Max Blocker patch is avail as an option. This patch tries to block as much as possible for ads and teachers. Works for me and the apps I use. YMMV.