Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71
  1.    #1  
    Edit:
    - - - - I have withdrawn the port of this patch to webOS 2.x given the warnings in this tread by some prime members,
    - - - - and my experience with various versions of this 2.x ported patch.
    - - - - PM me for the latest version I might use, if you really cannot live without download counts. However,
    - - - - be prepared to loose the app catalog
    since reinstall that App is not easy given the comments on that issue in this thread.
    End edit



    Based on the patch for 1.x by PreGame, this is a version that works for 2.1 and a kind of works for webOS2.0.1, See remarks for 2.0.1 .
    - - text
    Remarks for 2.1
    The 2.1 patch works if the Pre is not booted after installation. Further instructions will be supplied here, currently see rest of thread for the tool IPK by pcworld, required to let the Patch survive boots. That tool seems to be needed for any patch to the catalog (findapp).

    Remarks for 2.0.1
    It works 'A kind of' because one of the files to be patched is compressed and currently that is not patchable with Preware or Quick Install. So a manual copy is needed for 2.0.1 only.

    - First apply the 2.0.1 patch by Preware or Quick Install
    - Then manually save the original compressed file and copy the patched file for example by the following 2 commands through Quick Install
    mv /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/compressed/details-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$compressed$/$details$-$assistant$.$js$.$Org$

    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/details-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$compressed$/$details$-$assistant$.$js$
    2 remarks
    - The manual copy also means that you might have to restore the original file manually when uninstalling the patch.
    - The process does not result in a compressed patched file. That does not seem to hurt is my experience in the past 3 weeks.

    - The patch for 2.1 does NOT need a manual file copy anymore
    - Rewrite post for 2.1
    Last edited by Dick99999; 05/03/2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Correct reference to this tread in attachment. Correct copy command
  2.    #2  
    The patch for webOS version for 2.1 does not need a manual file copy. It is a fully Preware compatible patch now.
  3. avnera's Avatar
    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    #3  
    i'm on 2.0.1 and it's working as advertised.
    Thanks!
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

    WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
  4. robnhl's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #4  
    On an ATT Pre+ with 2.1 the patch installs fine but does not persist after a device reboot. Then it requires another reboot before the patch can be reinstalled.
  5. #5  
    Can someone post a screenshot? Pretty please?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Can someone post a screenshot? Pretty please?


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  7. #7  
    Thanks so much! I'd been wondering why I couldn't see anything even though I had it installed.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    On an ATT Pre+ with 2.1 the patch installs fine but does not persist after a device reboot. Then it requires another reboot before the patch can be reinstalled.
    Thanks and you are right, it happens on my Pre (unlocked) too. Looks like findapps is overwritten after a boot or something a like. It is located in cryptoFS (temporary ??). Investigating .....
  9. #9  
    Looks really strange.
    I just searched for "findapps" in the whole file system, results:
    Code:
    root@ - Palm Pre:/# find ./ -name '*findapps*' 
    ./var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.findapps_0
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.findapps.control
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.findapps.list
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.findapps.pmmanifest
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/packages/com.palm.app.findapps
    ./media/internal/downloads/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    ./usr/palm/ipkgs/findapps-icon.png
    ./usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    Really interesting is the ipk in the downloads folder. I looked for it and the modification time is about the last reboot of my phone.

    Maybe that means that the App Catalog-app is downloaded and installed every reboot?!

    Conclusion: slow internet connection = slow boot time ?!!!
    [edit: can't be the case at least if no WiFi connection is available and your SIM card has a PIN)

    Not a smart decision from HP!
    Last edited by pcworld; 03/08/2011 at 08:50 AM.
  10. robnhl's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Looks really strange.
    I just searched for "findapps" in the whole file system, results:
    Code:
    root@ - Palm Pre:/# find ./ -name '*findapps*' 
    ./var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.findapps_0
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.findapps.control
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.findapps.list
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.findapps.pmmanifest
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/packages/com.palm.app.findapps
    ./media/internal/downloads/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    ./usr/palm/ipkgs/findapps-icon.png
    ./usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    Really interesting is the ipk in the downloads folder. I looked for it and the modification time is about the last reboot of my phone.

    Maybe that means that the App Catalog-app is downloaded and installed every reboot?!

    Conclusion: slow internet connection = slow boot time ?!!!

    Not a smart decision from HP!
    I doubt it is downloaded every time, but maybe. A test could be to disable all network connections and reboot then check the times.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11. #11  
    I looked and it does appear as though the app is downloaded and installed everytime you reboot your phone. Did a reboot last night, check the times in the directory this morning, did a reboot just now and it was reinstalled again.

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1885 Dec 16 04:10 sources.json
    .....
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:44 javascripts
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:44 images
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:44 weave
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:44 stylesheets
    (as you see, the sources file reverted to its original state)

    Deleted the findapps ipk in the downloads directory and it was redownloaded and reinstalled again. It apparently redownloads regardless of whether you had the ipk to begin with or not.

    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1214466 Mar 8 09:52 com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:52 javascripts
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:52 images
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:52 stylesheets
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 32768 Mar 8 09:52 weave

    Crazy.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  12. #12  
    I did a reboot without having an internet connection.
    The modification time of /media/internal/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk did change. It was copied from /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk - that's where the ipk is located.
    ls -la in /usr/palm/ipkgs:
    Code:
    root@ - Palm Pre:/usr/palm/ipkgs# ls -la
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Feb  2 02:55 .
    drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root          4096 Feb  2 02:52 ..
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       1214466 Feb  2 02:55 com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          5880 Feb  2 02:55 findapps-icon.png
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           241 Feb  2 02:55 manifest.json
    That means that the ipk is not redownloaded every time, it is just copied to /media/internal/downloads every reboot and reinstalled.
    February 2 is the date where the doctor I used was built by HP.
    webosdoctorp101ueude-wr.jar/resources/recoverytool.config:
    Code:
    RecoveryToolBuildNumber=296
    RecoveryToolBuildTime=02/02/11 02:33 <-----------------
    VersionStr=HP webOS 2.1.0
    RomBuildNumber=284
    ...
    If you want to patch the app catalog you have to replace the ipk from /usr/palm/ipkgs with an empty one. I'll give this a try.
  13. robnhl's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I did a reboot without having an internet connection.
    The modification time of /media/internal/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk did change. It was copied from /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk - that's where the ipk is located.

    <snip>

    That means that the ipk is not redownloaded every time, it is just copied to /media/internal/downloads every reboot and reinstalled.

    <snip>
    I can confirm. A reboot with no SIM or WiFi connection enabled results in the ipk appearing in the downloads folder.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    I can confirm. A reboot with no SIM or WiFi connection enabled results in the ipk appearing in the downloads folder.
    Did you try what happens when you have WiFi enabled and reboot your phone?
    Does the modification time of the ipk in /usr/palm/ipkgs change?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Did you try what happens when you have WiFi enabled and reboot your phone?
    Does the modification time of the ipk in /usr/palm/ipkgs change?
    No, it doesn't change. It's listed as Feb 1.

    Edit: If you delete the file in /usr/palm/ipkgs, then it doesn't appear to redownload, remove, and reinstall it again.
    Last edited by malpha; 03/08/2011 at 09:46 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  16. robnhl's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    If you want to patch the app catalog you have to replace the ipk from /usr/palm/ipkgs with an empty one. I'll give this a try.
    So, I replaced /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk with an 0 byte file (touch com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk), rebooted and the App Catalog wouldn't open. So, it looks like an empty file won't work.

    Seems like the /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk file will have to be modified or the script that reinstalls the App Catalog on each boot will need to be removed.
  17. #17  
    A solution that may or may not work to make the app catalog patchable:
    Get terminal access (novaterm, ...) and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /usr/palm/ipkgs
    mv com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all_OLD.ipk
    Now extract the attached file and send the ipk via Quick Install to /usr/palm/ipkgs (not install it!), or put it on the USB partition and move it: "mv /media/internal/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk /usr/palm/ipkgs"
    Now apply the download count patch and do a full reboot of your phone (not only Luna restart), and tell us if the patch is still working.
    (Note: I didn't test this yet!)

    If you want to revert this:
    Code:
    cd /usr/palm/ipkgs
    rm com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    mv com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all_OLD.ipk com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk
    If this works there could be a self-installing/removing ipk created which will be dependency of all app catalog patches.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    So, I replaced /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk with an 0 byte file (touch com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk), rebooted and the App Catalog wouldn't open. So, it looks like an empty file won't work.

    Seems like the /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk file will have to be modified or the script that reinstalls the App Catalog on each boot will need to be removed.
    I think the script that does this will have to be removed or modified. I deleted the file entirely, but while the App Catalog folder hasn't been modified since deletion, it won't open up either.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I think the script that does this will have to be removed or modified. I deleted the file entirely, but while the App Catalog folder hasn't been modified since deletion, it won't open up either.
    Look for the post before yours. This could work.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Look for the post before yours. This could work.
    Aren't you just creating an empty ipk like the last person? I'll try it though.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions