Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I highly recommend people avoid creating a .patch that alters the current HP App Catalog (in /media/cryptofs/apps) and it could lead to problems when you try to uninstall the patch, and potentially require reinstalling the App Catalog from a webOSDoctor.
    Agreed. That's one of the reasons why the Patch Submission portal at webOS-Patches Web Portal does not allow patches that modify files in /media/cryptofs/apps, since the AUPT scripts rely on the existence of the system md5sum files to validate patches and correctly install and remove them.

BTW, someone could use Impostah to reinstall the app catalog app

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Agreed. That's one of the reasons why the Patch Submission portal at webOS-Patches Web Portal does not allow patches that modify files in /media/cryptofs/apps, since the AUPT scripts rely on the existence of the system md5sum files to validate patches and correctly install and remove them.
    So you want the App Catalog to be non-patchable? What if all apps will be moved to cryptofs in a future OS update?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    So you want the App Catalog to be non-patchable? What if all apps will be moved to cryptofs in a future OS update?
    I extremely doubt that'd ever happen, personally. The permission system for services alone distinctly differentiates between the 2 locations. I can only imagine how many other things are setup with the 2 places being different.

Currently, the work-around for the 3rd party app AUPT limitation/bug is to uninstall the patch, uninstall the app, then reinstall the app from AppCatalog/Preware.

Naturally, this means there'd be complications if you install a patch to the new AppCatalog app, as it's in the 3rd party app area and you can't easily reinstall the App Catalog (let alone uninstall it). In fact, you'd probably need to grab the AppCatalog ipk file from within a webOSDoctor to reinstall it [EDIT: or as Rod points out, you could use Impostah].
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    The odd thing is that the App Catalog gets reinstalled every reboot... (as analyzed in this thread)
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    So you want the App Catalog to be non-patchable?
    I think you are seriously misinterpreting what I have said.

I have stated the boundaries of operation of the current patch portal code and AUPT scripts.

I have stated nothing about what I or anyone else wants.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    The odd thing is that the App Catalog gets reinstalled every reboot... (as analyzed in this thread)
    It's not really odd, as the /etc/event.d/app-install script specifically and intentionally causes that to happen.

-- Rod
  7.    #67  
    I decided to withdraw the 2.x port of this patch given the comments and warnings posted in this thread. All true imho. Just to record my findings:
    - I could not use the older catalog app (hangs on startup) once the new version has been installed
    - The current version of the catalog does not reinstall at boot time. So once it is broken, it stays broken
    - I could not find a copy of the catalog IPK like there were 2 copies of the first version
    - QI removes original files (the ones to be patched) when removing the patch. Result is a broken catalog
    - Removing the catalog app works like any other, but reinstalling it is a challenge since you have no catalog app
    - Once the new version of the catalog is reinstalled (beating that challenge), it asks acceptance of the license again. I reinstalled from a copy of the whole app directory.
    - I have a working patch for the current (may 2011) catalog app version. See the edit on the first post.

All in all, not really something an end user wants to undertake.
    Right, the new app catalog version does not reinstall every time.
    Reinstaling is not that difficult, just remove the App Catalog, install the older ipk from /media/internal/downloads and update via the Software Manager.

That with Quick Install is definitely a bug which should be fixed.
    I don't know how much space is left on the root partition, but we could try to move the App Catalog to /usr/palm/applications, maybe with an ipk for doing that.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    One thing I miss with the 2x app catalog is not being to scroll through the whole list of apps (for me, by date). Is it possible to make a patch that will extend the number of apps listed when you hit the date key on the new app catalog's home screen? Or is
    there another way to view all available apps?

(I didn't find a thread for this and thought this being an app catalog patch thread, it may be well suited for this group of precentral users.)
    Use the Preware List of Everything.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I'll give it a shot. I used to do that but adding in the full palm catalog seems to slowdown preware's start up time. Maybe I'll run that way once in a while just for full inspections that I didn't miss anything. Thanks.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234