Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Aren't you just creating an empty ipk like the last person? I'll try it though.
    No, it's not a 0-bytes file. It's an ipk for with the app catalog id which only contains the appinfo.json.

Edit: lol, my post #123
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    A solution that may or may not work to make the app catalog patchable:

<snip>
    At first blush, looks like this solution worked. Rebooting a second time for good measure and will test again.

EDIT: Success!
    Last edited by robnhl; 03/08/2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: update data
    No, it's not a 0-bytes file. It's an ipk for with the app catalog id which only contains the appinfo.json.

Edit: lol, my post #123
    Yeah, I noticed that popped up because there wasn't actually a appinfo.json in the folder before. (Edit: Blah blah, it was there, it just had an old mod time). It isn't working for me, maybe because I deleted the file first, even though it copied the empty ipk to the downloads folder and "reinstalled" it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Yeah, I noticed that popped up because there wasn't actually a appinfo.json in the folder before. It isn't working for me, maybe because I deleted the file first, even though it copied the empty ipk to the downloads folder and "reinstalled" it.
    Yes, that will be the problem. Extract the original ipk from a webOS Doctor (from /usr/palm/ipkgs) and install it via WOSQI. Then try again.
    Last edited by pcworld; 03/08/2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    At first blush, looks like this solution worked. Rebooting a second time for good measure and will test again.

EDIT: Success!
    Thanks for testing!
    I will try to make a self-installing/removing ipk for Preware which will then be dependency for all App Catalog-patches.

I hope HP will remove this stupid thing in one of their next releases...
    Yes, that will be the problem. Extract the original ipk from a webOS Doctor (from /usr/palm/ipkgs) and install it via WOSQI. Then try again.
    Already did it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Already did it.
    Does the "empty" ipk work for you for installing patches?
  8.    #28  
    Since you guys are really diving into it and try to get a general solution: the catalog Finddapp app uses 2 levels of compression.
    - An 'all scripts compressed' for often used scripts
    - and for the lesser used scripts:an individual compressed one in a directory compressed.

That compression inhibits direct patching of the catalog app and was the reason the 2.0.1 version of the patch required copying a file.

I used an other trick in the 2.1.0 patch: patch the uncompressed scripts and patch sources.json as well to let it use the uncompressed script. That obviously will not work for scripts present in 'all scripts compressed'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    Since you guys are really diving into it and try to get a general solution: the catalog Finddapp app uses 2 levels of compression.
    - An 'all scripts compressed' for often used scripts
    - and for the lesser used scripts:an individual compressed one in a directory compressed.

That compression inhibits direct patching of the catalog app and was the reason the 2.0.1 version of the patch required copying a file.

I used an other trick in the 2.1.0 patch: patch the uncompressed scripts and patch sources.json as well to let it use the uncompressed script. That obviously will not work for scripts present in 'all scripts compressed'.
    The issue I try to fix is not related to the compression. It is that after every reboot the app gets reinstalled.
  10.    #30  
    .........I hope HP will remove this stupid thing in one of their next releases...
    I forgot to mention that /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.swmanager
    contains many of the same scripts. Perhaps that is going to be the future? Did not compare the creation dates though.
    I forgot to mention that /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.swmanager
    contains many of the same scripts. Perhaps that is going to be the future? Did not compare the creation dates though.
    As long as they don't remove the uncompressed scripts this shouldn't be a problem.
    If they compress all scripts in the future and remove the uncompressed ones, there has to be a script that reformats all jsjsjs $files$ $in$ $a$ $patchable$ (=$readable$) $format$.
    Is the issue with reinstalling every reboot 2.1-only or does it affect 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 too?
    I created a little ipk which should replace the app catalog ipk with the "empty" one and after removing this package it should revert all changes.
    I don't have time to test it currently, so please tell me if it works or not.

If you did replacing the app catalog ipk manually, please revert these changes before installing the ipk via Quick Install.

Note: Do this at your own risk.
  14.    #34  
    Is the issue with reinstalling every reboot 2.1-only or does it affect 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 too?
    Don't think it effects 2.0.1. I had the previous version of the patch installed on 2.0.1 and it survived boots. Also findapp was still located in /usr/palm/applications/ on 2.0.1. (So it seems unlikely that it did effect 2.0.0, but did not have that version installed)
    Don't think it effects 2.0.1. I had the previous version of the patch installed on 2.0.1 and it survived boots. Also findapp was still located in /usr/palm/applications/ on 2.0.1. (So it seems unlikely that it did effect 2.0.0, but did not have that version installed)
    I looked at the unlocked Pre 2 2.0.1 doctor, you're right.

I'm just now downloading the unlocked Pre 2 2.1.0 doctor, to see if the issue only affects the German-PrePlus-2.1-doctor or others as well.
    Same strange thing in the unlocked Pre 2 2.1.0 doctor...

Has anyone tested this auto-installing/removing ipk?
  17.    #37  
    Same strange thing in the unlocked Pre 2 2.1.0 doctor...

Has anyone tested this auto-installing/removing ipk?
    Willing to try it. Could you just in a few words reiterate what the solution is, so others and I understand it and I can refer in the patch to it? Thanks.
    Willing to try it. Could you just in a few words reiterate what the solution is, so others and I understand it and I can refer in the patch to it? Thanks.
    Ok, description of the issue and the solution (and what the ipk should do):
    (If this or a similar package will come to the Preware feeds (which would be dependency of all App Catalog patches for webOS 2.1), feel free to use it and to correct my awful grammar!)

Since webOS 2.1 there is a bug* which causes the App Catalog app to be reinstalled every reboot. Result is that every patch related to the App Catalog will be lost as soon as the phone reboots.

This package should fix this issue.
    The ipk from where the App Catalog is reinstalled is located in /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk.
    The package will rename this ipk and move an empty one to this folder, so all files become patchable (currently except appinfo.json).
    When removing the package this change should be undone.

*: "it's not a bug, it's a feature "
    Note: The auto-installing/removing ipk is untested atm. Please tell me if it works or not!
  19.    #39  
    Ok, description of the issue and the solution (and what the ipk should do):..................
    Note: The auto-installing/removing ipk is untested atm. Please tell me if it works or not!
    Thanks the decryption is clear. Tried it and the error message is attached as is the directory structure. Also it's perhaps better to rename the original file along the lines of webinternals, so something like ......webos.orig , in stead of ........old?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Try the attached one.
    Warning: Do NOT use Quick Install to install or remove this package! There seems to be a bug which causes really weird things. Only use Preware.

Thanks for the tip with ".webosinternals.orig", it's used in the scripts now.

Before installing verify that the md5sum is correctly so nothing is messed up: run "md5sum /usr/palm/ipkgs/com.palm.app.findapps_2.0.20900_all.ipk"
    md5sum should be: d1c6e2d4db6178c4f6735ae2c577a7a8

Edit: This won't be the final version of the script. I'll add some checks if files exist already and also some md5sum-checks to prevent messing things up.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pcworld; 03/09/2011 at 11:45 AM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast