1.    #1  
    It is obvious to me that webOS would not be what it is without the preware/homebrew community. While some patches are 'niche' preferences, many of these patches are things which OBVIOUSLY should be the standard function of webOS (i.e. text-character counter). That begs the question:

Why doesn't HP/Palm just buy these patches (or use them if they are 'free') or even better hire these awesome homebrew/internals/preware guys to fix webOS? If they did, the functionality of webOS would improve overnight; homebrew/preware is great, but many people will never take advantage of it and many will reject the 'stock' webOS before giving it a chance.

So why don't they, or has HP/Palm ever used the work of the preware/homebrew community?
    Well they fully acknowledge and support this community. They have said so many times. A lot of the patches created from homebrew developers are being integrated into 2.0 like the launcher patches. I think this phone is mainly made for us to customize how we want. I agree the default look of the phone may turn some people off though. But its so easy to change.
    Didn't they hire someone recently, from the homebrew community?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Didn't they hire someone recently, from the homebrew community?
    They hired Blubble (the guy behind NaNplayer) not too long ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    They hired Blubble (the guy behind NaNplayer) not too long ago...
    yep, they have hired people out of the homebrew community.

they also support and work with the homebrew community as a matter of practice, not just a bone here and there.

the homebrew community itself is not a defined entity. there are groups like webOS internals, who are comprised of individuals with there own lines of work and businesses who do this for fun (like Rod Whitby), there are also individuals, apart from the internals group who are doing this as part fun, but who perhaps will one day work for palm (like Jason Robatille).

the cool think about HP palm and homebrew so far is the embracing of the passion and interactions the community has for webOS and the respect with which the homebrew community treats HP and there intellectual property in turn.

that of course is my summary of things from what i have observed, not stating fact, just observations.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ya, no worries mate, they are actively pulling from the HB community! Even better, they are actively SUPPORTING it!!!!

...and there have been MANY previous patches that showed up in OTA updates!
    OP = Best. Question. Ever.

As mentioned above Palm have been doing so to some extent. I wish they'd do more. But the webOS 2.0 reviews describe a LOT of features that previously were patches, like adding/naming pages. I also think that once Enyo and new APIs are baked, and 2.0 is available to all of the carriers it will be easier to determine which patches are no longer needed and which need to become features on their development roadmap - because those changes may change how the features and patches would work, too.

Hopefully they are using the complete list of patches as their primary source for feature ideas and priorities. Without those patches, the phone would be sooo much less usable.
    Atleast with the current state of webOS 2.0.1, I have a feeling I might actually prefer to stay with webOS 1.4.5 due to the lack of integration of existing patches into webOS 2.0.1. There is way too much that Palm has left out of 2.0.1 from the 400 plus patches available for webOS 1.4.5. It will be really hard to live without many of these patches, especially sconix's "advanced launcher patch".

PS: When can we expect to see more of the current patches being made compatible with webOS 2.0.1?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Atleast with the current state of webOS 2.0.1, I have a feeling I might actually prefer to stay with webOS 1.4.5 due to the lack of integration of existing patches into webOS 2.0.1. There is way too much that Palm has left out of 2.0.1 from the 400 plus patches available for webOS 1.4.5. It will be really hard to live without many of these patches, especially sconix's "advanced launcher patch".

PS: When can we expect to see more of the current patches being made compatible with webOS 2.0.1?
    Well many of the patcher are already moving towards it when they get/got the Pre 2.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post

Yeah, the say they are down with homebrew but somehow made it more difficult to patch the launcher. I don't know if I can deal with those huge icons anymore. That and no minicards, don't know if I even wanna upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, the say they are down with homebrew but somehow made it more difficult to patch the launcher. I don't know if I can deal with those huge icons anymore. That and no minicards, don't know if I even wanna upgrade.
    Yeah it would kind of suck to go back to those huge icons especially if they are on a new hardware with a larger screen.
    Great question op!

Since HP has hired folks from the webOS community and fully supports it, I wish they would figure out a way to incorporate this community into the webOS ecosystem they envision, so the normal customers and store reps are fully aware of this community when they purchase a device (just my wish). This community is the best cheat sheet ever for almost all technology.

I found this community b/c I was intrigued with webOS after purchasing the Pre. I decided to do a google search, stumbled upon Precentral and have not looked back. I am by NO means as knowledgeable as many here and definately NOT a tech geek, but most of my friends and family see it differently since I seem to know things before they happen in the phone/tablet market. I am also able to ward off store reps and make them seem juvenile b/c I know my stuff (thanks webOS community).
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/13/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    They don't need to hire patch developers. The terms under which the patches are submitted entitles HP Palm to freely use any and all of them.

I agree that it is disappointing that more have not found their way into webOS. There's enough evidence that a number of them have widespread appeal. eg higher launcher icon density.
    they should be able to make the launcher icon display density customizable. 3,4,5 what ever you want.
    if webOS would be perfect we had no fun improving it :-)
    But we won't be able to customise the launcher.
    There's really not that much point to patching 2.0.x as I view it as a transition version. That said, I've created/migrated most of the patches that I personally use and these are avail via Preware but do not really plan on working on this much further till an updated version comes out.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.