Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just making this thread so I have a place to think out loud. I don't want to clutter up other unrelated threads with Launcher talk lol.

Ok, from what I've seen, here's what is currently possible as far as modding the Launcher goes:

1. Change Launcher background.
    2. Get rid of the empty space between Launcher pages.
    3. Hide icon labels (well, kinda. It works, but seems like a crappy way to go about it)

I'll keep this thread updated with what I find.

Note: Anything I post here I discovered by going through the publicly available 2.0.1 WebOS Doctor.
    can version 2.0 be downloaded? I get so frustrated when I go to a web site & need "flash" to biew the contents!
    You might check with Sconix and compare notes. I know he was having troubles figuring out whether or not the launcher could be patched/modified similar to his ACAL patch. Last I heard, it was not looking good.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by redmustanggt89 View Post
    can version 2.0 be downloaded? I get so frustrated when I go to a web site & need "flash" to biew the contents!
    WebOS 2.0 is only available for the Pre2 at the moment.
    I mentioned in another thread something about the spaces between the launcher pages. I was thinking that if they are actually separated pages, not linked to each other, that could mean that each page can have a separate background. What do you think?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I mentioned in another thread something about the spaces between the launcher pages. I was thinking that if they are actually separated pages, not linked to each other, that could mean that each page can have a separate background. What do you think?
    From what I've seen so far, the Launcher only uses one background image. That empty space between pages is part of the stock background image. I replaced it with a custom background and the space is gone.

It does seem that the Launcher pages are separate though since the background images slightly overlap each other. In webOS 1.4.5, it seems the Launcher uses one static background.

(Not sure if all that made sense haha)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    From what I've seen so far, the Launcher only uses one background image. That empty space between pages is part of the stock background image. I replaced it with a custom background and the space is gone.

It does seem that the Launcher pages are separate though since the background images slightly overlap each other. In webOS 1.4.5, it seems the Launcher uses one static background.

(Not sure if all that made sense haha)
    It could be something interesting to play with when we get full access to it.
  8.    #8  
    Just wish I could find what controls the Launcher lol. I did find some settings in luna.conf, but they are only for the icon labels...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    You might check with Sconix and compare notes. I know he was having troubles figuring out whether or not the launcher could be patched/modified similar to his ACAL patch. Last I heard, it was not looking good.
    I'll send him a PM and see what he's discovered so far. I'd be satisfied if we could get 4x4 icons working lol
    I'll send him a PM and see what he's discovered so far. I'd be satisfied if we could get 4x4 icons working lol
    Here's wishing you luck! I would rather have 6 pages of 16 icons instead of 10 pages of 9 icons to hunt through to open an app.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    At minimum, a change to something like 4x4 icons would be great. I sure hope something comes of the launcher in 2.0 beyond the defaults. Good luck to you in your testing/researching of the issue.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    webos 2.0 will be horrible with out 4x4.
    Can you get rid of the area where the Launcher page names are? I tried removing the name in the launcher and it still keeps the annoying line there without a name... hard to explain
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    The launcher is integrated inside LunaSysMgr..

Code:
    strings /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr | grep launcher
    You'll notice there are a lot of instances of "launcher" inside the LunaSysMgr binary.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    The launcher is integrated inside LunaSysMgr..

Code:
    strings /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr | grep launcher
    You'll notice there are a lot of instances of "launcher" inside the LunaSysMgr binary.
    Well let's hope Palm gives us some customization options in a future update then
    Well let's hope Palm gives us some customization options in a future update then
    I hope they separate it from LunaSysMgr and open source it... but I don't know if they will.

Or perhaps they can provide some customizations directly inside webOS (like 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 3x4, etc. for icons)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Bumping this up.
    Can someone please tell me apart from adding-editing pages in the Launcher if there are other customizations available in 2.1?
    Smaller-bigger icons, more-less icons etc.
    I have gotten used to no quick launch bar. Is this not possible also?
    In 1.4.5 I was able to hide apps. Is this not possible anymore? If you think about it, it should be since I was also able to just go into the device info app and under the software section I was able to chose that option after selecting an app. Can something be made to give this option in the device info app again? Im running 2.1 by the way.
    apparently integrating the launcher into lunasysmanager is responsible for the increase in performane we see in 2.1's launcher. BUT i reaaaaallly miss my old launcher's customizations.
    any progress on the patches yet?
    Franklin eBookMan >> Palm Zire71 >> Lifedrive with flash mod >> Palm Pre Plus
    I made the jump to 2.1 & must say I miss my 4x5 icons or whatever i had. I could see so many apps w/out scrolling. I'd at least be happy with even just a little less spacing between the icons so they stack 3x? and look closer on top each other.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast