Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Patching has slowed down. Even though there are bigger and more comprehensive patches coming out now, there is not as much traffic as there was a year ago. I think it's because of home brew devs moving to other platforms. I used to visit the patch forum specifically all the time and find a good idea for a request, if not a new patch that I wanted to apply asai got to a desktop. I thunk webos patching goes beyond home brew or jailbreak tweaks that devs can do on other platforms, and I think the way it's all set up provides for more variety. Jail breaking, for me, is harder to understand and more difficult, especially when the manufacturer is working against you. So if I have a good idea for iOS in my iPad, I usually just give up on it right away, where as with webos, I usually post a request in this forum, and sometimes something happens. Heck, I've managed to figure out how to write one patch myself. That's how easy it is, even for a coding novice. between patching and mode switcher, it's now faster to look at something or to have my phone do something. I like things to happen instantly, or as close to it as possible, especially working on an original pre. So the opportunities with webos patching are great, and even though I love what the homebrew community has done and continue to do, and even though I am very, very greatfull for all of it, I think the potential for what can be done is slipping away, only because we have such a small homebrew community compared to the other platforms. If anything, this is the reason I wish webos had more traction and all ready had more market share. Just because a mass of people can do chunks of projects, and break up the, what must be, overwhelming number of requests between them. So I wish we had the numbers other platforms see. A few months ago, I discovered the new posts tab, and had to expand my daily (depending on what was going on) Precentral forum check to that, because patching had slowed to a stand still. I don't even check that often anymore, because you can only read so much about how people are jumping ship, or hindsight about what palm should have done. Here's hoping ces brings traction and attention back to webos, that hp continues to support these initiatives, and that the homebrew dev community starts to grow again.
  2. #2  
    I think that it just a case that the customisation has addressed most of what can be done conveniently with the current hardware and OS and once we get webOS 2 and/or new hardware things will pick up again.
  3. #3  
    I'm sure when hp and palm finally release webOS 2.0.x to the masses and produce new and desirable hardware the homebrew community will stir up.
    certainly though, we have lost and will continue to lose customers if palm continues to drag it's feet, remain indifferent as big name devs slip away such as epocrates, and carriers bully palm into delaying release of their hardware.
  4. #4  
    The need for patches will change quite a bit with 2.0, so it has slowed down as the homebrew community shifts focus to 2.x

    Besides, is there really any patch for 1.4x the OP can think of that hasn't already been done?
  5. #5  
    If you ask me, the patches currently available bring webOS as close to perfection as we can get with the current hardware and OS version.
  6.    #6  
    @cataffordit I'll donate for WebOS development

    Edit
    There is always room for more ideas, I know I always have another one. With a large and thriving dev homebrew community, I think that translates into ongoing projects and tweaks.
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 12/26/2010 at 03:45 PM.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The need for patches will change quite a bit with 2.0, so it has slowed down as the homebrew community shifts focus to 2.x

    Besides, is there really any patch for 1.4x the OP can think of that hasn't already been done?
    At least for me yes!
    I still need a Call Block patch that works! The availables ones do not work for me besides the author effort to custom it for me
    Another one: a SMS schedule patch or app.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr View Post
    At least for me yes!
    I still need a Call Block patch that works! The availables ones do not work for me besides the author effort to custom it for me
    Another one: a SMS schedule patch or app.
    you might want to PM a developer and see if you can other the interest/$ to get someone to work onit.

    I don't understand the 'call block' thing though, because I can just hit ignore or the power button and the call goes away.

    I use youmail for voicemail (its free) and it has features for dumping or blocking callers if I need that.

    check out youmail and see if that can do what you need. I have used it instead of carrier vm for several years. Even our home phone routes to it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you might want to PM a developer and see if you can other the interest/$ to get someone to work onit.

    I don't understand the 'call block' thing though, because I can just hit ignore or the power button and the call goes away.

    I use youmail for voicemail (its free) and it has features for dumping or blocking callers if I need that.

    check out youmail and see if that can do what you need. I have used it instead of carrier vm for several years. Even our home phone routes to it.
    I used it in my Treo 650: block calls from some code areas, unknown, some numbers, some numbers at some time or days, etc. so I did not do anything, the phone did not ring and the caller did not know what had happened...
    Youmail seems to be great but Im not in USA...
    Thanks anyway.

Posting Permissions