Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone create a patch which allows the wave bar to show different icons from the quick launch?

The wave bar is useless when it just duplicates the quick launch. To me, the wave would offer 5 additional secondary icons to launch so that in total you get 9 apps from the quick launch + the wave bar and the 10th being the launcher button.

If anyone needs more information on what i'm looking for, i'd love to talk about this. To me, this is something that Palm dropped the ball on huge!
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Now that would be cool.
    But I don't think it can be done.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

I fill like I'm shooting down everyone one of your suggestions
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

I would love to have this also, however As Warlord said, I've also read on other threads that this isn't possible. Additionally, if I understand correctly what is said in "Update 2" on the link below, the quick launch wave is gone in Webos 2.0...

http://www.precentral.net/screen-key...rking-webos-20
    You can change out the 4 apps that are there now. That's the only change you can make.

There is also an app in the catalog called TealSpeed that can "sort of" behave the way you are suggesting... but it isn't free.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonehew View Post
    I would love to have this also, however As Warlord said, I've also read on other threads that this isn't possible. Additionally, if I understand correctly what is said in "Update 2" on the link below, the quick launch wave is gone in Webos 2.0...

On-Screen Keyboard live and working in webOS 2.0; Update x2: Video! | PreCentral.net
    No, the quick wave is still there. It only "gets replaced" if the virtual keyboard referenced in the article is activated. My guess is that it isn't intended for any variety of the Pre, but rather for a slab phone or tablet.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    No, the quick wave is still there. It only "gets replaced" if the virtual keyboard referenced in the article is activated. My guess is that it isn't intended for any variety of the Pre, but rather for a slab phone or tablet.
    I sure hope this is accurate. I use the Quick Launch Wave every day that I use my phone. I prefer one-handed, minimal number of clicks use, which hhe QLW provides.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8.    #8  
    I just don't know how anyone uses the quick wave right now since it's basically a duplicate launcher. If only it could offer additional apps like it really should. Right now it's useless and just eye candy.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I really liked how this could be done in the TealOS that TealSoft made for PalmOS. Was surprised that they could do something for PalmOS that couldn't be done for WebOS.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    It's all a matter of perspective. For me, the Quick Launch Bar is the unnecessary one (if either qualifies) as a single touch can bring up the Wave. The Bar requires 2 touches if you're already in an app.
  11.    #11  
    If you swipe up while you're in any app, the quick launch bar is displayed, it's almost exactly the same as the wave bar except you don't have to hold your hand down on the screen to choose an app.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    um, I guess there are people who use both. are we happy now?
    (personally I prefer the wave.)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    um, I guess there are people who use both. are we happy now?
    (personally I prefer the wave.)
    Oh absolutely, great that people have both options but the comment is aren't both options pretty much exactly the same. Wouldn't it have been great to have them compliment each other instead of replicate?

Seems so logical to me. They never marketed the wave as a choice over the quick launch so why have them compete? The wave is a great idea with horrible implementation. No other OS has something like the wave and it's a shame the idea is going to waste.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    I love the implementation. It's fewer discrete points of contact and requires only one hand.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I love the implementation. It's fewer discrete points of contact and requires only one hand.
    That confuses me. Bringing up the quick launch is also only one move with your finger and only needs one hand. You swipe up and the quick launch is displayed and the app is minimized. The wave is a swipe up but you have to keep your hand on the screen. Swiping up for the quick launch at least lets you take your hand off the phone without having to launch an app or launcher from the wave.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    wave user here as well, my non-wave launcher bar is set to always hidden, and therefore.... No duplicate launcher as I have only one.....problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slk24kgj View Post
    That confuses me. Bringing up the quick launch is also only one move with your finger and only needs one hand. You swipe up and the quick launch is displayed and the app is minimized. The wave is a swipe up but you have to keep your hand on the screen. Swiping up for the quick launch at least lets you take your hand off the phone without having to launch an app or launcher from the wave.
    In one movement*, I can open an app from the wave. To open the same app from the bar, I have to press a button or perform a gesture to reveal the bar...and THEN press the icon for the app.

There is the difference. With the wave, I can reveal the icons and choose one in essentially one movement instead of two. To me, that is a good thing. For you, I gather it is not.

* or, more precisely, in one discrete touch of the screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    wave user here as well, my non-wave launcher bar is set to always hidden, and therefore.... No duplicate launcher as I have only one.....problem solved.
    For me, multiple options to perform the same function are good things, so i like mine in its stock configuration.

It's great that we can both "have it our way."
  19.    #19  
    Yea, I do like how both sides can be appeased with this, I guess it would be nice to have more options though but I see that more people like the wave bar instead of the launch bar than I thought.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Sadly, I think we're in the minority. You wave-haters (j/k) are either more numerous or more vocal.

I don't hate iPhones (I own one Apple product - the iPad), but I sure don't want one - despite the Pre's issues. I say that because of simple ease-of-use things like the Wave.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast