Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Hello all,

So when i get a text message, email, etc. there is a banner than pops up at the bottom of the screen which for about 5 seconds does not let me use any of the other buttons down there (Teal Speed, other SMSes and events) and thats kind of annoying.

Recently I installed the "no banner on charging" patch which I love and would like to extend to pretty much everything. So that instead of taking over the bottom of my screen for 5 seconds a little message bubble, email bubble, twitter bubble etc. just pops up nice and simple.

I looked for a patch for that and couldnt find anything, so this is a request of a patch as well as me asking if there is already something that those this.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/22/2010 at 03:35 PM.
    those notifications are considered to be one of the best things about webOS, so you will probably get some interesting responses.

have you looked in to the individual apps to see if it can be turned off or or change how the notification behaves?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    those notifications are considered to be one of the best things about webOS, so you will probably get some interesting responses.

have you looked in to the individual apps to see if it can be turned off or or change how the notification behaves?
    Well yes, you can turn off notifications completely. But that means you wont know if you got an email or a tweet until you open the app.

And dont get me wrong! I love the notifications! Just not the popping up part cuz then I have to wait for it to go away before I can click on anything else down there.

For example, I use Teal Speed a lot. But if I am about to use it and I get an SMS i have to wait for it it to drag itself up, sit there, and then go back down before I can expand Teal Speed to use any of those buttons. Same goes of everything that I have in the dashboard. It all goes away during the pop up notification.

Hell, even if that notification animation speed can be increased that would help haha. Besides I have the messaging privacy app so I cant read what sms I got until i open the app anyway.
    generally if you just tap on the application it will expand back over the top of notifications. I just swipe them away and try to remember to open the app when I am ready. And there are many apps where I don't ever want a notification, such as facebook,
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    generally if you just tap on the application it will expand back over the top of notifications. I just swipe them away and try to remember to open the app when I am ready. And there are many apps where I don't ever want a notification, such as facebook,
    Oh no, I dont think I was clear before, sorry about that.

I Do want the dashboard to have all the little icons of Facebook, SMS, Email, Badkitty etc.

I Don't want the Dashboard to disappear every time I get new notification.

If you dont have the "disable charging banner" patch then when you put your phone on the Charger a notification pops up that says "Charging" and during that time you cant use the dashboard. So the patch disables that popup but the battery Icon on the top does change into the Charging icon.

So thats what I want to happen with other notifications. I want the Notification sound to go off and then an sms to appear next to Teal Speed icons in the dashboard without the popup which would tell me who messaged me and the first few words of the text.

I would still be able to expand the Dashboard and swipe things away if I didnt want to open them.
    Back swipe minimizes them again... At least you don't have to wait 5 seconds..
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Back swipe minimizes them again... At least you don't have to wait 5 seconds..
    Thats good! I didnt know I could back swipe them away. Still, a no banner patch, which could be customizable for different apps maybe would be awesome!

Just tried the backswipe, didnt work is it a half swipe or full swipe? Also... wouldn't that register as a backswipe for the app that I am currently using?
    Last edited by Shaikh; 12/13/2010 at 05:08 PM.
    A half swipe back should minimize the banner to just the icon.....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Also... wouldn't that register as a backswipe for the app that I am currently using?
    No, while the banner is open the swipe will register for the banner, once the banner drops to just the icon, then a swipe would register in the app your in....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    No, while the banner is open the swipe will register for the banner, once the banner drops to just the icon, then a swipe would register in the app your in....
    Thanks!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Thats good! I didnt know I could back swipe them away. Still, a no banner patch, which could be customizable for different apps maybe would be awesome!

Just tried the backswipe, didnt work is it a half swipe or full swipe? Also... wouldn't that register as a backswipe for the app that I am currently using?
    I tested earlier with Neato. I tapped the dashboard notification to summon the bigger banner notification, did a back swipe and it the went back to the dashboard. Right now, after getting home from work I sent myself a text and... d'oh! When it's first incoming it's the tinier banner notification! And back swipe doesn't get rid of it! After re-reading the thread I see you made that clear that that's what you were talking about. Sorry I misunderstood. Sounds like you do need a patch...
    I may be wrong on this, but I thought the OP was talking about the tiny little notification that pops up the INSTANT you get a text/update from an app, etc. Not when you have a notification and leave it there on the bottom. Kind of like the charging alert, these instant notifications come up for a few seconds and then go back down and turn into the persistent notification banner which you can then tap on/minimize/backswipe etc.

They've never been a problem for me, but I see what he's saying. There's literally nothing you can do about them. You just sit there and wait until the alert goes away and turns into a regular notification which stays on the bottom. I'm pretty sure a patch can be made to get rid of the instant notifications, but I would assume that would have to be made for each app, because each app calls instant notifications individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I may be wrong on this, but I thought the OP was talking about the tiny little notification that pops up the INSTANT you get a text/update from an app, etc. Not when you have a notification and leave it there on the bottom. Kind of like the charging alert, these instant notifications come up for a few seconds and then go back down and turn into the persistent notification banner which you can then tap on/minimize/backswipe etc.

They've never been a problem for me, but I see what he's saying. There's literally nothing you can do about them. You just sit there and wait until the alert goes away and turns into a regular notification which stays on the bottom. I'm pretty sure a patch can be made to get rid of the instant notifications, but I would assume that would have to be made for each app, because each app calls instant notifications individually.
    Yeah. That's the understanding I've (eventually) come to also. I'd imagine Messaging would be the biggest problem for OP.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Yes! You guys know what I am talking about now. Sorry if I wasnt clearer before.

There should be a word for the animated notification vs. the normal ones lol.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but can you not just tap the center button (Sprint Pre) and the notification becomes minimized right away?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but can you not just tap the center button (Sprint Pre) and the notification becomes minimized right away?
    I just tested that out and nope. You can minimize it if you expand the dashboard yourself by pressing the button or backswiping BUT when you get a notification initially you cant press the button or backswipe to get rid of it.
    I would have to do some digging, but it probably is possible to stop banners universally. However, banners aren't directly tied to notifications, so it's entirely possible for an application to only be using banners for its communication or using banners for specific types of communication. If you stopped it universally, you might well miss out on information that isn't readily available any other way.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I would have to do some digging, but it probably is possible to stop banners universally. However, banners aren't directly tied to notifications, so it's entirely possible for an application to only be using banners for its communication or using banners for specific types of communication. If you stopped it universally, you might well miss out on information that isn't readily available any other way.
    That is true, I know for a fact that Preware and Neato! use just notifications for when "feeds are done updating" and when "new message is received" respectively.

But I can live without both of those since if I neato! something to myself I know its coming and if I am updating Preware I am not missing anything but preware telling me its updated.

I dont know of any other apps (that I use, there may very well be some other apps) that communicate strictly with the banners.

And thank you for doing the digging! If a patch is possible that would be greatly appreciated

Shouldn't it be very similar to disabling the Charging banner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post

To be clear once and for all we're talking about: Unknown_2010-14-12_100725.png

Not:Unknown_2010-14-12_100735.png
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    To be clear once and for all we're talking about: Unknown_2010-14-12_100725.png

Not:Unknown_2010-14-12_100735.png
    Hahaha, I was thinking of putting up visual aids. In fact, I think I will

I would like to go from This:
    Unknown_2010-13-12_165942.png

To This:
    Unknown_2010-13-12_170048.png

Skipping This:
    Unknown_2010-13-12_170040.png
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast