Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    More times the animated banner is kinda annoying:

1. When playing angry birds (or any game) and having an event that disturbs you. (especially when its someone messaging you from gtalk or aim cuz they just keep sending messages lol)
    2. When mode switches happen (I have different backgrounds for all my modes so I know when its different and the banner isn't exactly needed)
    3. When you dont want everyone sitting around around you with your phone on the table to see who just messaged you lol.

Is it just me? does no one else want this patch more customization options are good!
    I'm planning to do a deeper dive into the code this weekend, but it sounds like you'd just like to have the option to turn off banners in a couple of specific apps, specifically Mode Switcher and the Messaging app. Having options in those two might solve 90% of the problem for you?
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I'm planning to do a deeper dive into the code this weekend, but it sounds like you'd just like to have the option to turn off banners in a couple of specific apps, specifically Mode Switcher and the Messaging app. Having options in those two might solve 90% of the problem for you?
    Yes, messaging is the most annoying though since it happens too often. Bad Kitty does once every hour for me along with Facebook Beta. And Mode switcher happens only when Modes are switched, there is no frequency to it. I would say those four apps are the most common obstructions. Preware does it, but thats only when I launch it myself so I guess its expected (but I would be happier without it's popups as well).

Thanks! Can't wait to see if it can be patched!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    3. When you dont want everyone sitting around around you with your phone on the table to see who just messaged you lol.
    forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/228141-patch-text-message-privacy.html

Doesn't erase the sender, but at least the message...
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yitz0550 View Post
    forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/228141-patch-text-message-privacy.html

Doesn't erase the sender, but at least the message...
    Yup! Already have that one installed haha, I like my privacy. But I would like to keep the senders name in the dashboard while not having it pop up when I get a message.

1. When playing angry birds (or any game) and having an event that disturbs you. (especially when its someone messaging you from gtalk or aim cuz they just keep sending messages lol)
    2. When mode switches happen (I have different backgrounds for all my modes so I know when its different and the banner isn't exactly needed)

Is it just me? does no one else want this patch more customization options are good!
    I would love to have a patch like this
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    I would love to have a patch like this
    Yay! I am not the only one! Hopefully we will have a patch for it soon thanks to appsotutely!
    It simply amazes me at some of webOS features that annoys people in here, but that's what is great about the openess of webOS, how thru patching you can customize you Pre to your own personal preferences.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It simply amazes me at some of webOS features that annoys people in here, but that's what is great about the openess of webOS, how thru patching you can customize you Pre to your own personal preferences.
    Yup! Thats whats so great about WebOS, the ability to personalize your phone down to almost every function

2. When mode switches happen (I have different backgrounds for all my modes so I know when its different and the banner isn't exactly needed.
    think you can get rid of this. Try going to EDIT DEFAULT MODE-->SETTINGS, and under BEHAVIOR change NOTIFY to DISABLED. Then do the same for the rest of your modes. While you're waiting for the patch, that is.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    think you can get rid of this. Try going to EDIT DEFAULT MODE-->SETTINGS, and under BEHAVIOR change NOTIFY to DISABLED. Then do the same for the rest of your modes. While you're waiting for the patch, that is.
    Wow, all this time I thought I was pretty good with mode switcher and I totally over looked that option!

Thank you!
    I believe this is what you're looking for. Please try it out and give feedback.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I believe this is what you're looking for. Please try it out and give feedback.
    I am so sorry! I just now checked on the post! I will download it right now and let you know how perfect it is!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Alright I just tested it out under various scenarios. And it works!

It works almost perfectly. The only thing thats missing is that I no longer have sms tones for when I get messages or bad kitty updates. Also I switched the ringer off to see if it would vibrate when i get a message but that didn't work either.

Is the banner irreversibly connected to sms tone/vibrate?
    Hmm, this current patch just completely disables all banners. The banner API includes a couple of pieces of functionality: an Icon, some Message Text, and a Sound (sound Class, sound File, sound Duration).

Are you saying you'd still like the Sound portion to happen? I don't think I'll be able to do that exactly. Probably the best that I could do would be to blank out the Message Text. That way the Sound would still play (or the vibrate would still happen) but the banner would still display - it would just be blank (or substituted with asterisks?) and it would still take the same amount of time to show and then disappear.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Hmm, this current patch just completely disables all banners. The banner API includes a couple of pieces of functionality: an Icon, some Message Text, and a Sound (sound Class, sound File, sound Duration).

Are you saying you'd still like the Sound portion to happen? I don't think I'll be able to do that exactly. Probably the best that I could do would be to blank out the Message Text. That way the Sound would still play (or the vibrate would still happen) but the banner would still display - it would just be blank (or substituted with asterisks?) and it would still take the same amount of time to show and then disappear.
    Darn! Because with no sound/vibration I totally miss messages haha. Yea I would have liked the sound to happen, just no banner.

Do you think its possible to increase the speed of the banner? Instead of sitting there for 10 seconds (I just counted the seconds the Mississippi way so 10 may not be exact) and come and go in say one second. Itll still popup while I am doing other things but at least it wont hang around for too long.

I love this patch the way it is though!

Oh, I just had an Idea. What if the banner stayed disabled as it is now, but you add a sound for messages separately. Could work kinda like a mode switcher event. Basically getting a message would be the trigger and a sound will be played instead of say wallpaper changing.
    Okay, here's a different version. Make sure to uninstall the other version before you try out this one.

This should keep whatever sound is being passed along and activate that sound alert, while still completely removing all banner actions.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Okay, here's a different version. Make sure to uninstall the other version before you try out this one.

This should keep whatever sound is being passed along and activate that sound alert, while still completely removing all banner actions.
    I am installing it right now Will give feed back shortly
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    You are awesome! This works perfectly!

Sound and Vibrate are there, no banner popping up
    How did you do it?

Thank you Very Much
    Will this be placed in the Preware patches section?
    The information needed for the sound alert is part of the original Banner request, so prompted by your idea, this newer patch just routes that sound part along to a Sound Notification call instead of calling the original Banner call.

Glad to hear it's what you were looking for! I could submit it to the Patch repository if there are more people that would like the functionality - anyone else want either version?

I'm probably not going to use either one of these patches myself though, so please PM a reminder to me when another version is needed (like when 2.0 rolls out). I'll do what I can to maintain the patch.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast