Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Is the first use app available for meta doctored webOS 2.1?
    I installed the patch and it came up with an error saying it failed 1 out of 3 hunks.
    Tried running the gesture tutorial app and it just had a black screen, nothing happened.
    Had to do a hard reboot.

I have a Sprint Pre with no service.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    I installed the patch and it came up with an error saying it failed 1 out of 3 hunks.
    Tried running the gesture tutorial app and it just had a black screen, nothing happened.
    Had to do a hard reboot.

I will work on the patch to see if I can get it to apply cleanly on the 2.1 doctor. Keep in mind I'm not doing this to be nice to you, I'm doing this to be nice to the people who don't steal from developers and participate in the warez scene (yes, I recognize your old username from that site)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I will work on the patch to see if I can get it to apply cleanly on the 2.1 doctor. Keep in mind I'm not doing this to be nice to you, I'm doing this to be nice to the people who don't steal from developers and participate in the warez scene (yes, I recognize your old username from that site)
    Hy, the patch is ready for the meta-doctor 2.1? Thanks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm Pre- Unlocked O2 Germany
    Palm Pre 2 Unlocked UK
    HP Pre 3 Unlocked Fr
    HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Torakiki76 View Post
    Hy, the patch is ready for the meta-doctor 2.1? Thanks.

Not yet. I am working in it and I'm looking to add other stuff to it.

Since you're using the meta doctor, you can enable profile creation over wifi but disable activation bypass and it will let you log into your profile as soon as you boot up your device after doctoring it.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Had to do a hard reboot.

For all those, activating 2.1 over wifi only, you can create a 2.1 metadoctor for this. The script for wifi is listed in the wiki link below in step 3.
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

After you run the wifi only metadoctor version for your carrier, you will configure wifi and then run the gesture tutorial and it will give you the ability to log onto a profile instead of giving you the blank screen.

You need to then check device info to see if your profile name reads Dr. SkippedFirstUse. If it does, you need to stop and get rid of this problem before moving onto wiki step 5 which is unmasquerading. There are a few ways to get rid of this profile name as noted in the wiki. The way that worked for me was to turn off backup and simply redoctor with 2.1 [no need to go back to 1.45]. I then reconfigured wifi, logged into my profile and then went onto step 5 in the wiki.
    Just installed this patch on a 1.4.5 Verizon Pixi Plus.
    And it works!

webOS Developer
    I did the sprint wifi only meta doctor to 2.1. Will this be upgraded to work with that soon do you think? I'd like to be able to download apps on my spare pre with a new "test" fun profile separate from my main sprint pre to learn/play with.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I did the sprint wifi only meta doctor to 2.1. Will this be upgraded to work with that soon do you think? I'd like to be able to download apps on my spare pre with a new "test" fun profile separate from my main sprint pre to learn/play with.
    Working on it.
    Arthur Thornton

Just a question:

If you use the Metadoctor to skip activation and then use this patch on a phone that has never been activated before ever, would you be able to buy paid US apps or would your device forever be on the "no paid apps" list? If you don't know and I should ask elsewhere, that's fine.

Oh, also, can you activate it later and everything be okay?

EDIT: Errr, sorry, I can see you sort of answered this already. Nevermind!

EDIT 2: For everyone who has done this, could you get paid apps?
    Last edited by malpha; 03/11/2011 at 11:39 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    For all those, activating 2.1 over wifi only, you can create a 2.1 metadoctor for this. The script for wifi is listed in the wiki link below in step 3.
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

After you run the wifi only metadoctor version for your carrier, you will configure wifi and then run the gesture tutorial and it will give you the ability to log onto a profile instead of giving you the blank screen.

You need to then check device info to see if your profile name reads Dr. SkippedFirstUse. If it does, you need to stop and get rid of this problem before moving onto wiki step 5 which is unmasquerading. There are a few ways to get rid of this profile name as noted in the wiki. The way that worked for me was to turn off backup and simply redoctor with 2.1 [no need to go back to 1.45]. I then reconfigured wifi, logged into my profile and then went onto step 5 in the wiki.
    Your post answered a question I had on another thread, so thanks. I am a "Dr. SkippedFirstUse" guy. I tried to turn off backup and delete the backup so I could re-doctor with the "wifi-only" option, but I get a message that I don't have an internet connection and it requires one. Which is weird, because I have wifi going, and can browse the internet and download from Preware, etc.

Your help is appreciated.
    I did the 2.1 for wifi only and I have wifi on and I am trying to create a spare profile so I have a wifi device w app catalog too. It won't let me create a profile. It gets to the last step & says failed. I may doctor to 1.4.5 and try this patch, then redoctor to 2.1 & try to just login w/ the newly made profile on 1.4.5. A pain but hope it works. Any ideas why I can't make a new profile on meta 2.1 w wifi on?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Not yet. I am working in it and I'm looking to add other stuff to it.

Since you're using the meta doctor, you can enable profile creation over wifi but disable activation bypass and it will let you log into your profile as soon as you boot up your device after doctoring it.
    I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and doctor back to 1.4.5 and then update to 2.1.0 with the wifi only option enabled--that is, unless you have an update coming soon. How do I disable activation bypass when I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I did the 2.1 for wifi only and I have wifi on and I am trying to create a spare profile so I have a wifi device w app catalog too. It won't let me create a profile. It gets to the last step & says failed. I may doctor to 1.4.5 and try this patch, them redoctor to 2.1 & try to just login w/ the newely made profile on 1.4.5. A pain but hope it works. Any ideas why I can't make a new profile on meta 2.1 w wifi on?

Let us know how it goes. That's what I was going to do.

On the plus side, 2.1 with the new uberkernel runs fantastic. Everything works, and the devs who came up with this for all us orphans are awesome. I just have this one little problem with the profile.
    I'm not sure how it happened, but I was over on the page that has the backup app trying to get it to let me erase my backups, when I noticed an app called the Gesture Tutorial. I remembered that the First Use App got renamed the "Gesture Tutorial", and so I opened it up, and voila! I'm entering my profile information, and it took it.

I did two things recently, and I'm not sure which one did it. One was, I opened webOS quick install, and installed the 1.4.5 version of ShowFirstUse. It seemed to install, but I didn't find an app when it did. The second thing I did was in Preware, I got a message that there was an update for ShowFirstUse for webOS 2.1. I thought it was the placeholder, but I updated it anyway.

Anyway, it was there from something I did, and it worked.
    I always tried it from the gesture tutorial app and it doesnt accept a new account. Did you make a new acct or login one you already made?
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I'm not sure how it happened, but I was over on the page that has the backup app trying to get it to let me erase my backups, when I noticed an app called the Gesture Tutorial. I remembered that the First Use App got renamed the "Gesture Tutorial", and so I opened it up, and voila! I'm entering my profile information, and it took it.

I did two things recently, and I'm not sure which one did it. One was, I opened webOS quick install, and installed the 1.4.5 version of ShowFirstUse. It seemed to install, but I didn't find an app when it did. The second thing I did was in Preware, I got a message that there was an update for ShowFirstUse for webOS 2.1. I thought it was the placeholder, but I updated it anyway.

Anyway, it was there from something I did, and it worked.
    I redoctored to 1.4.5 and took all the steps carefully. It again lets me get to the LAST step and then says profile failed to create. What can it be? It wont create a new profile for nothing. I tried uninstalled the first use/activation patch after 2 or 3 tries and still didnt help. Did they block new creations of profiles or something?
    I used an existing profile.
    lol can somebody create me a login via PM with my email and a temp password so i can try to get in since the profile would be created maybe? Then I could just change the password
    Last edited by RyanCell; 03/17/2011 at 08:13 AM.
    can u please help...i really need this patch asap...i know it takes time...but im just saying...lol
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I got to ask some noobie questions.
    I have an unlocked Pre 2 in the box. I'm in a country where only free apps are supported.

With the described procedure if I bypass activation and I make a profile I can use the phone regularly and even download homebrew applications?
    Is it then possible to activate it later with another SIM in another country so to have full access?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast