Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    No longer need to use the activation bypass tool on webos 2 devices. Just dial ##DEVMODE# for cdma or #*DEVMODE# for GSM to put the device into devmode and it bypasses activation all together.

Just did this with the patch for my pre 2 and works! Got the App catalog, backup works, and just did OTA update to 2.0.1 without ever touching a SIM card. Might as well as call this patch "PDA patch"
    Can this be done on a straight-out-of-the-box device on the emergency call dialpad?
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    Can this be done on a straight-out-of-the-box device on the emergency call dialpad?
    Yes.

When I'd heard of that option, I was informed it required a SIM card, but it looks like it doesn't.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Yes.

When I'd heard of that option, I was informed it required a SIM card, but it looks like it doesn't.
    Awesome! I'm going ahead and using a non-modified doctor to reset my device to default because I am having the issue with wallpaper resetting everytime I reboot, and I have no additional ringtones or wallpapers. From what I've read, this appears to be due to using the "Remove Carrier Check" option in meta-doctor. Once that's done, I'll give this code a try and then patch.

Ah well, the joys of trial and error with a new device and OS.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    this looks promising. I have webos2.0 installed on my dev pre plus and have bypassed the activation using the ##DEVMODE# feature at startup. I can run the gesture tutorial but without your patch I'm not getting the profile creation screens. I was able to install PreWare, but I don't think quickinstall works with 2.0 yet. so how can I install your patch? do you have a feed URL that I can add to Preware or will I need to install the SDK?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by nohorse View Post
    (snip)
    You need to delete your post or at least the text, as what you wrote is NDA material and considered confidential.

PM me to get the answer you're looking for.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by nohorse View Post
    this looks promising. I have webos2.0 installed on CENSORED and have bypassed the activation using the ##DEVMODE# feature at startup. I can run the gesture tutorial but without your patch I'm not getting the profile creation screens. I was able to install PreWare, but I don't think quickinstall works with 2.0 yet. so how can I install your patch? do you have a feed URL that I can add to Preware or will I need to install the SDK?
    You meant Pre2 right? Yes yes we're going with that. Please edit.

I used quick install just fine, no errors on my Pre2 to run the patch and then remove it once I got my Palm Profile on my Pre2
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    If I wipe my phone, bypass activation, and then run this tool, can I make phone calls and send text messages as I would with an activated phone?

I have AT&T but no data plan, and I'd like to restore data from my Palm Profile over Wi-Fi. Is this patch overkill for what I'm trying to do?
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ragingmime View Post
    If I wipe my phone, bypass activation, and then run this tool, can I make phone calls and send text messages as I would with an activated phone?

I have AT&T but no data plan, and I'd like to restore data from my Palm Profile over Wi-Fi. Is this patch overkill for what I'm trying to do?
    As long as your SIM is in the device, you will be able to make calls.

Is there any reason you wish to wipe your device?

Basically, this is what I'd recommend:

Step 1) Remove your SIM
    Step 2) Wipe the device
    Step 3) Bypass activation
    Step 4) Install the patch via webOS Quick Install
    Step 5) Run the "First Use" / "Gesture Tutorial" app (if you're on 1.4.5, it is called "First Use", in 2.0 it became "Gesture Tutorials"; 1.4.5 requires the "Show Firstuse App" patch). Let your data restore, reboot
    Step 6) Insert your SIM and boot up
    Step 7) Open the phone app and go to preferences. Disable data.

That should restore your data over WiFi (and if your SIM isn't in it, you don't have to worry about it going over your SIM) and then disable SIM data.
    Arthur Thornton

I have installed the patch that everyone seems to be using, and it doesn't work. When I launch gesture tutorial all i get is a black screen and can't close the app or do anything and have to reboot. any ideas?
    Palm Pre, WebOS 2.0, I have installed the patch and it also doesn't work. When I launch Gesture Tutorial I get just tutorial and nothing more, no First Use
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by bata View Post
    Palm Pre, WebOS 2.0, I have installed the patch and it also doesn't work. When I launch Gesture Tutorial I get just tutorial and nothing more, no First Use
    I've noticed with my Pre2 that it requires 2 installs when using webOS Quick Install -- probably just due to an issue with webOS Quick Install.
    Arthur Thornton

were are the instructions to do this patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by chich10 View Post
    were are the instructions to do this patch?
    In the first post.

Swyped from my HTC HD2 (CM7)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    were does da patch go? u have to put da phone in safe mode and drag da patch in there sumwere?
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by chich10 View Post
    were does da patch go? u have to put da phone in safe mode and drag da patch in there sumwere?
    You need to read up on what patches are and how to install them. Might I recommend the first post in the "webOS Patches" forum:

Official Patch Discussion
    Arthur Thornton

Thanks!

I had an extra profile on my sprint pre thats not active I wanted to change to my real palm profile....

The first run app wasn't working...

Then I installed this patch and BABOOM! It Worked!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    So I've used this patch before, but I just Doctored my Pre Plus and the patch isn't working quite right.
    The profile logged-in and all, but I can't actually download any apps.

UPDATE

Huh. Fixed itself while I slept.
    All is well.
    Last edited by roneyii; 02/22/2011 at 03:51 PM.

webOS Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    So I've used this patch before, but I just Doctored my Pre Plus and the patch isn't working quite right.
    The profile logged-in and all, but I can't actually download any apps.
    Which carrier and OS version are you doctoring with?
    im on a pixi plus verizon with no service and i need to create a profile . the phone is on and bypassed but now how do i create a profile for it ?? so i can download apps and stuff !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    im on a pixi plus verizon with no service and i need to create a profile . the phone is on and bypassed but now how do i create a profile for it ?? so i can download apps and stuff !
    Install Preware.

Then install:

1) Show first use app patch
    2) "Enable Profile Creation - Activation Bypassed" patch (if you didn't already install the patch on post 1 of this thread)

Then open the "First Use" app and create/sign into your profile.
    Arthur Thornton

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast