Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    arthurthornton I received my dev device today and I downloaded the palm bypass tool but I don't see how to run it. Can you help me with that?
    I received my dev Pre + too, and I have a question...
    I skipped first use, and I'm now on wifi... if I create a profile using wifi, it would use my ip address, right?... what would happen if I manage to use a proxy to jump to USA and create my profile this way? would I have the US catalog?
    Anyone knows?
    I might use it for now as it is, as it's locked and won't work with my Telcel SIM (yet), but I'm planning on unlocking it...
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Does this work on 2.0 with the Pre 2? It doesn't show up in Preware on my Pre 2.

Thanks

-ozetadev
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbcool100 View Post
    Does this work on 2.0 with the Pre 2? It doesn't show up in Preware on my Pre 2.

Thanks

-ozetadev
    I've been told it cleanly installs on the Pre2, but I don't know if you can actually use the 2.0 first use app to create a profile. The reason I don't know is that it is now the "Gesture Tutorial" app.

If you could use webOS Quick Install to install it and then open the "Gesture Tutorial" app, it would be beneficial to everyone.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Yeah, it does cleanly install for me (not in the emulator though -- loads of errors), but when i start the Gesture Tutorial, it goes to a black screen, with no way to close the app unless i reboot. Oh well...

I would do just about anything to actually use the app store on my phone haha.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I received my dev Pre + too, and I have a question...
    I skipped first use, and I'm now on wifi... if I create a profile using wifi, it would use my ip address, right?... what would happen if I manage to use a proxy to jump to USA and create my profile this way? would I have the US catalog?
    Anyone knows?
    I might use it for now as it is, as it's locked and won't work with my Telcel SIM (yet), but I'm planning on unlocking it...
    I don't know the specifics of all of this.

I think it actually gets a GPS fix and uses that to determine location, but you can try setting a proxy thru the USA and see if that enables you to get the US App Catalog.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  7.    #27  
    Yeah, it does cleanly install for me (not in the emulator though -- loads of errors), but when i start the Gesture Tutorial, it goes to a black screen, with no way to close the app unless i reboot. Oh well...

I would do just about anything to actually use the app store on my phone haha.
    You could try to get to an AT&T store. Lots of developers have had success getting AT&T employees to allow them to activate their Pre2's using demo SIMs.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thanks! I have an AT&T store at the end of my block. I'll give it a try. Would any AT&T sim work, or is it just Demo Sim's?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    arthurthornton I received my dev device today and I downloaded the palm bypass tool but I don't see how to run it. Can you help me with that?
    Is your dev device a Pre2? If so, you need to follow the steps in this thread.

If it is a Pre+, you just need to run this command:

Code:
    java -jar devicetool.jar
    (source: Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center)
    Arthur Thornton

10.    #30  
    Thanks! I have an AT&T store at the end of my block. I'll give it a try. Would any AT&T sim work, or is it just Demo Sim's?
    Any SIM with data, but tons of people have used the demo SIMs, as the employees like to see the Pre2.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I had a Blackberry Pearl back in the day, can i just use the (old) sim, or does it have to be an active and usable sim?
  12.    #32  
    I had a Blackberry Pearl back in the day, can i just use the (old) sim, or does it have to be an active and usable sim?
    It has to be active and have data currently available on it.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I don't know the specifics of all of this.

I think it actually gets a GPS fix and uses that to determine location, but you can try setting a proxy thru the USA and see if that enables you to get the US App Catalog.
    Personally, i always thought it was based on carrier.
  14.    #34  
    Personally, i always thought it was based on carrier.
    It used to be (according to Ben on the developer forums responding to somebody who activated an unlocked Pre+ on T-Mobile USA and had no App Catalog access), but with the Pre2 you can use any US GSM carrier (or at least AT&T/T-Mobile) to activate it and get US app catalog access. I guess it is because it is an unlocked device.
    Arthur Thornton

15.    #35  
    FINALLY:

I just finished the Enable Profile Creation on Activation Bypassed Device (2.0.x) patch. It requires 4 files to be patched, but here is the patch:

(I will submit it to Preware when I get a response from Rod regarding the best course of action -- since the first use app on 1.4.5 and 2.0.1 are different)

Just remember the steps:

1) Bypass activation (this is tricky on the Pre2, as you have to hack up the devicetool.jar file as described in my post at the dev forums OR have a SIM card ready -- no need for it to be activated, just in the device, and then use the "Emergency Call" feature to dial ##DEVMODE# for CDMA or #*DEVMODE# for GSM devices)
    2) Enable WiFi and log on to a WiFi hotspot
    3) Install the patch (it may need to be "installed" twice if this is the first patch you install through webOS Quick Install, due to what appears to be a bug in webOS Quick Install)
    4) Use Just Type to search for "Gesture Tutorials" and open it. Now you're in first use. Go through this and you'll have your profile in no time
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 01/19/2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    FINALLY:

I just finished the Enable Profile Creation on Activation Bypassed Device (2.0.x) patch. It requires 4 files to be patched, but here is the patch:

(I will submit it to Preware when I get a response from Rod regarding the best course of action -- since the first use app on 1.4.5 and 2.0.1 are different)

Just remember the steps:

1) Bypass activation (this is tricky on the Pre2, as you have to hack up the devicetool.jar file as described in my post at the dev forums)
    2) Enable WiFi and log on to a WiFi hotspot
    3) Install the patch
    4) Use Just Type to search for "Gesture Tutorials" and open it. Now you're in first use. Go through this and you'll have your profile in no time
    You sir, are THE MAN!! I had a few oddities, but nothing an IT guy like myself couldn't overcome. The first was that I couldn't do the file addition to devicetool.jar on my Mac. I got the corrupt file issue that the other guy on the Palm forums did. So, I went up to work and grabbed my laptop that I normally use to login locally to my routers and switches (and more recently to play with my phones ), brought it back to my room, and set to work. I did the following process to get the roadrunner image into devicetool.jar:
    1. Opened doctor file with WinRAR Portable
    2. Navigated to location in webOS.tar and copied the image to the desktop
    3. Opened devicetool.jar with WinRAR Portable (Note: I did not extract)
    4. Navigated to correct folder in devicetool.jar where image needed to be
    5. Dragged image from desktop into devicetool.jar at the appropriate location

Everything else worked as it should, and I now have a bona fide Palm Profile! On top of that, I appear to even have access to paid apps! I haven't tried to buy one yet, but they show up in the Catalog and I am prompted to enter a credit card. Note that this entire process was done with an active Roshan SIM card inserted and connected to the GSM network (although Roshan's GPRS is down), connecting to WiFi over a Bentley-Walker (UK-based HughesNet reseller) satellite Internet connection. This is the only logical explanation I can come up with for how I got paid apps.

Mileage may vary for others of course, but that's it all shook out for me, and I'm ecstatic to have my device working as it should. Thanks again for all of your hard work on this. I definitely owe you a pint.

Now if only AWCC can fix their GPRS so I can be connected again with my phone and iPad.
    After running devicetool.jar,
    What happens If you run follow command with novaterm ?

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/launch
    {\”id\”:\”com.palm.app.firstuse\”}
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by be_works_us View Post
    After running devicetool.jar,
    What happens If you run follow command with novaterm ?

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/launch
    {\”id\”:\”com.palm.app.firstuse\”}
    You can do that if you want, but the first use app isn't hidden any more (and you can open it by typing "Gesture Tutorial" in Just Type)
    Arthur Thornton

19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    You sir, are THE MAN!! I had a few oddities, but nothing an IT guy like myself couldn't overcome. The first was that I couldn't do the file addition to devicetool.jar on my Mac. I got the corrupt file issue that the other guy on the Palm forums did. So, I went up to work and grabbed my laptop that I normally use to login locally to my routers and switches (and more recently to play with my phones ), brought it back to my room, and set to work. I did the following process to get the roadrunner image into devicetool.jar:
    1. Opened doctor file with WinRAR Portable
    2. Navigated to location in webOS.tar and copied the image to the desktop
    3. Opened devicetool.jar with WinRAR Portable (Note: I did not extract)
    4. Navigated to correct folder in devicetool.jar where image needed to be
    5. Dragged image from desktop into devicetool.jar at the appropriate location

Everything else worked as it should, and I now have a bona fide Palm Profile! On top of that, I appear to even have access to paid apps! I haven't tried to buy one yet, but they show up in the Catalog and I am prompted to enter a credit card. Note that this entire process was done with an active Roshan SIM card inserted and connected to the GSM network (although Roshan's GPRS is down), connecting to WiFi over a Bentley-Walker (UK-based HughesNet reseller) satellite Internet connection. This is the only logical explanation I can come up with for how I got paid apps.

Mileage may vary for others of course, but that's it all shook out for me, and I'm ecstatic to have my device working as it should. Thanks again for all of your hard work on this. I definitely owe you a pint.

Now if only AWCC can fix their GPRS so I can be connected again with my phone and iPad.
    Glad to see it works!

And that pint will have to wait at least 38 months (stateside, anyhow)
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 12/18/2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

No longer need to use the activation bypass tool on webos 2 devices. Just dial ##DEVMODE# for cdma or #*DEVMODE# for GSM to put the device into devmode and it bypasses activation all together.

Just did this with the patch for my pre 2 and works! Got the App catalog, backup works, and just did OTA update to 2.0.1 without ever touching a SIM card. Might as well as call this patch "PDA patch"
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 12/24/2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast