Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    [UPDATE my REQUEST]
    11-10-10 Ok I have been thinking about this and since it seems that the Switch is the problem...
    What if you would use the volume keys (down) and once it was all the way down it went to "Vibrate ALL sounds" then have a screen pop up to ask you how long you want this to "vibrate All" for? Does that sound like a possibility? then of course this wouldn't work if you used the toggle switch but only if you used the volume down key to initiate it?!?!

11-4-10 Is there someone who could make a patch that when you flip the "mute" switch that it gives you a popup that asks how long you want it on "silent/vibrate/mute" for, in 15 min intervals? So that once the time has expired it will reset itself back to where it was before you "flipped the switch"!

My wife needs this desperately on her Pixi... Just this morning I tried for hours to get ahold of her and couldn't because last night she had it on vibrate and "forgot" to turn the ringer back on today!!!! This isn't the first time this has happened... seems like a REGULAR occurrence!!!

Is this even possible? Would someone be interested in making such a patch? And hopefully it makes it into preware!

I know I would LOVE it and I would think many others would as well!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by plcd22; 11/10/2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: New Better Idea!!!
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    Yeah, I would like this, too. Basically, like Battery Saver, but you know...for the volume.

I know someone's going to chime in and say Mode Switcher, but um, I would really like to avoid using Mode Switcher cause it really bogged down my phone and kind of irritated me, tbh.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    What version of Mode Switcher were you using? I use it regularly, and it sure does not bog down my Pre. The large number of users would not be using it if it did. And Mode Switcher will do what the OP wants.

Another patch to look at is the Ringer Mute Icon patch. It will put an icon (speaker with a slant line through it) when the mute switch is on. Makes it easier to notice that mute is still on.
    People use things that bog down their stuff all the time because they're making a trade off between features and performance. Now it was an older version from the summer, but it ended up being a pain because I'd frequently have need to break the schedules I was on or I'd swipe things off and it'd keep re-launching or it'd say it was on modes it was most definitely not on, missing triggers or causing luna lockups, it just needed a lot of tweaking. I'm not an *****, I know what I was doing and can accurately say it did not work for me. I may try it again later, but I've moved much of my use for to device menu switches and it'd be great to have something less intensive for something like this, no disrespect to sconix.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    maybe I don't understand mode switcher but that seems to be based on a scheduel! What I am requesting is a simple patch to work only when the "ringer switch" is switched! I am a tech savvy person but mode switcher seems confusing (prob just because I haven't taken the time to figure it out) that being said, my wife if FAR from tech savy (she wanted a 'dumb' flip phone, but I made her get a smartphone and she tried the Motorola i1, but it was too slow so she traded it in for the pixi).

yes I also have the patch for the "mute" icon in topbar but she doesn't pay attention to that

just before she traded UP to the Pixi from the i1 (android base) I installed essentially this same thing on it and it was awesome, that one was based on using the volume down key which when held in volumes down then went to vibrate and then a message would pop up asking how long do you want to keep it in vibrate? You select the time and it worked like a charm!

maybe a different idea here but on my first smartphone (Moto Q9c, windows mobile) you could link it to your calendar and if you had an appoint marked "busy" it would then set the phone to "silent" or "vibrate" depending on what you selected, and when the time came along the phone automatically switched itself - all based on the calendar! That is the ONLY thing that I MISS about that phone and haven't found anything that works the same for WebOS - hopefully I am just missing something?
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    it wouldn't be possible for a ptch to flip a hardware switch, but mode switcher should be able to help.
    What if everytime you flipped the switch, it brought up a dialog to set a reminder alarm to turn it off? I think Palm's alarms are able to sound despite the phone being muted.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it wouldn't be possible for a ptch to flip a hardware switch, but mode switcher should be able to help.
    LOL wouldn't that be something for it to Actually switch the switch... I know that can't work but possibly be bypassed, was what I was thinking? so that the switch would obviously remain in the "mute" position but it would be changed back to where you had it! so then next time you wanted to use the switch to mute again you would have to toggle it back on first then off. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    What if everytime you flipped the switch, it brought up a dialog to set a reminder alarm to turn it off? I think Palm's alarms are able to sound despite the phone being muted.
    It used to do that which I am glad that they changed because that defeated the purpose of having a MUTE switch. But no as of now the ringer switch mutes everything including the "Alarm" sound. As far as I know! Although I guess I don't use the clock app for the alarm I use the Calendar app for all of my alarms! Does that make a diff?
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    any patchers out there who wanna give this a go? Just wondering!

Thanks
    Sorry but there's no way to patch your wife to be smarter.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Sorry but there's no way to patch your wife to be smarter.
    oh come on... I thought we could say, "there's a patch for that!"
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    well I took about 5 min and figured out how to use "mode switcher" and WISH I would have taken the time earlier, it is awesome!!!

with that being said though I still see no way for it to do what I am looking for! am I missing something or do we still need "a patch for that"?
    Last edited by plcd22; 11/07/2010 at 09:38 PM.
    The problem is that it's a physical switch, so there is no way to 'override' it when it's in the off position.

You could have a mode set to start when the switch is turned 'off', with a time interval trigger to close it, but you'd have to come up with something for the mode to do to alert your wife that the switch is still toggled. Not sure what that would be.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Ok I have been thinking about this and since it seems that the Switch is the problem...

What if you would use the volume keys (down) and once it was all the way down it went to "Vibrate ALL sounds" then have a screen pop up to ask you how long you want this to "vibrate All" for? Does that sound like a possibility? then of course this wouldn't work if you used the toggle switch but only if you used the volume down key to initiate it?!?!