1.    #1  
    Hey everybody, a few months ago I replaced my Sprint Pre with a new Pre Plus (did the com board swap). Everything has been great up until last weekend when I was trying to turn on mobile hot spot. I kept pressing the "On/Off" toggle and it wasn't registering my click. After trying a bunch of things and running the diagnostic tests, I found that the touchscreen is not registering any of the blocks on the 2nd row from the top (on the test app), I took the battery out and restarted the phone. I ran the test again after powering it up and all the rows were working and I was able to activate mobile hotspot. I figured it was a one time glitch. Well, it turns out it's something that seems more permanent as I cannot get that critical area of the touch screen to respond again. This means I cannot activate mobile hotspot and it also makes it difficult for a number of other apps. At least with those apps I can rotate the phone and the button I need to press is relocated to another spot on the screen. Mobile hotspot has a fixed orientation so I can't use that workaround.

Is there an easy way to patch the app so that it will rotate with the device orientation or better yet, a simple keyboard toggle for the "on/off" setting? I'm not afraid of patching it myself if it's something relatively easy. Thanks!

I was hoping this Pre Plus would hold me until Sprint got some new WebOS devices. I have lots of experience with iphone and android devices and I want to stay with WebOS but Palm and Sprint sure are making it difficult. So if there's a way to work around this touchscreen setback in software to buy me some time, that would be awesome. I don't understand how this touchscreen has already failed in that area - the phone is in MINT condition - I carry it in a case 90% of the time and it's never been dropped or abused.
    Last edited by eff20see; 11/01/2010 at 11:42 PM.
    I had the same problem. I determined it was a patch causing the problem. Try removing them one by one until this goes away.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    I had the same problem. I determined it was a patch causing the problem. Try removing them one by one until this goes away.
    thanks, but I don't currently have any patches installed.
  4.    #4  
    I just wanted to update this thread to mention that I figured out a workaround. I would still love to have a way to toggle the MHS on/off via keyboard, or maybe even make it default to on when it's launched, but I managed to quickly fix the problem I'm facing by editing the interface HTML and inserting 3 break tags to simply move the toggle switch down to a zone where my touchscreen is responding.

if you're interested, the file I edited was:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/microap-scene.html

I haven't done any hacking or patching at this level on the pre in the past, so it would have taken me a while to find where the hotspot app was in the first place, but I looked in the auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot-1.1.4 patch and spotted a path there.

Oh, and for the record, the ip-forwarding patch I installed works, and Mobile Hotspot 1.1.4 works on my Sprint phone. I only use mobile hotspot for emergency situations when I'm traveling, but it is great to have it when I need it.
    i had the same problem, i switched to the pixi
    I managed to grab the file and edit it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to replace the original. I tried the internalz file manager, but it doesn't seem to have permission to copy to that directory.
    I managed to crack my screen, and the upper right corner doesn't work, I was using mobile hotspot to get my desktop online because I live out in the sticks, and my son has a online class this semester...
    anyway, I had no previous desire to learn anything about the guts of my pre, and trying to figure out how is a little bit difficult when your only way to get on the net is through the tiny screen on the phone. So any suggestions, from explicit instructions to links to sites that describe the process would potentially save my sons GPA. Paganize@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by eff20see View Post
    I just wanted to update this thread to mention that I figured out a workaround. I would still love to have a way to toggle the MHS on/off via keyboard, or maybe even make it default to on when it's launched, but I managed to quickly fix the problem I'm facing by editing the interface HTML and inserting 3 break tags to simply move the toggle switch down to a zone where my touchscreen is responding.

if you're interested, the file I edited was:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/microap-scene.html

I haven't done any hacking or patching at this level on the pre in the past, so it would have taken me a while to find where the hotspot app was in the first place, but I looked in the auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot-1.1.4 patch and spotted a path there.

Oh, and for the record, the ip-forwarding patch I installed works, and Mobile Hotspot 1.1.4 works on my Sprint phone. I only use mobile hotspot for emergency situations when I'm traveling, but it is great to have it when I need it.