1.    #1  
    I often turn data (modem) and wifi off to save battery, and leave radio (phone) ON. This is using jason's device menu megamix. However, I was headed into a meeting, and without thinking, set the phone on airplane mode while data was already off. Now it won't come back on no matter what settings I try. Radio shows ON but no signal. Data shows off in the menu and stays that way. GPS won't connect, I also cannot make calls. Wifi still works. Resets, battery pull doesn't help.

Have I sent my Pre into permanent slumber?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    start with just resettig the phone. Doctor should be tried after easy things are checked.

I do the same thing the OP does, and I find that it just takes a few seconds for 3g to turn back on... So don't keep trying to turn it on as that will confuse the phone.
    I would try going in phone app preferences and do a network update before anything else.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You're right about that zmann, lol. I overlook that part when the op said their data was turn off. Darn! Guess I'm still a little sleepy. Good looking out. :-D

Op, always check to see if your data usage is turn off whenever there is a network connection problem. It should always be turn "ON".
    Right, I can no longer turn it on. It's now permanently OFF. Bring down Jason's menu>phone>Data>off. Set to ON. Close and reopen it, it's back to OFF. Thanks folks this is a great help.

To the rest of you, no I did not remove the patch, I was afraid that would make things worse.

I did not run EPR as everything else was working fine.

I also did not doctor, but that's going to be on the to-do list.

I'll get back to this when I have tried all three of these.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I would try going in phone app preferences and do a network update before anything else.
    OK I am not quite sure what you mean by this...maybe the "Updates" icon?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    "Your Phone is up to date."
  7.    #7  
    Removed DMM and it's still off.
    Ran EPR and still nothing, bleah.
    I honestly wonder if this is something going on with the patch? I noticed there is a little popup that appears off the upper edge of the screen (You can see the edge of a button but can't read what it says), if you try to turn data on when phone is off. (this is when everything works ok).
    Do you have luna manager installed if so try a java restart. My wifi data etc started acting crazy today to which I thought I would have to doctor Pre. After Java restart data was back working Do you have mode switcher installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    "Your Phone is up to date."
    Not the updates app, open your dialer, click in the top right corner, select prefernces/settings, scroll down until you see update network settings and update PRL, try both!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Do you have luna manager installed if so try a java restart. My wifi data etc started acting crazy today to which I thought I would have to doctor Pre. After Java restart data was back working Do you have mode switcher installed?
    Yes and yes, and it did not work. I tried all the other suggestions and I am going to have to risk a doctor I think...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Not the updates app, open your dialer, click in the top right corner, select prefernces/settings, scroll down until you see update network settings and update PRL, try both!
    Oh...wow. Thank you, I didn't know that was there. Unfortunately, since I can't get the modem to work, I can't get a signal or download anything They seem more tied together than I realized. When everything else is off, I can make and receive calls and SMS. But when the data stops, I can't even do that.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    OK this is REALLY Bizarre. I never found what you were looking for. Clicking in the top right corner brings up contacts. However, I clicked in the top left corner, and went down to preferences, and Data Roaming was off, and the phone was set to Verizon Only (would DMM do this ??). I am in my home area so I am not sure what difference it would make. But I changed both of those (Automatic/On) and then all of a sudden, tons of calendar events started popping up, followed by errors for unsent messages from the day before (I had to deactivate it to use my old one). Sadly I have already just doctored it so I can't tell what the fix is, but it works. I never considered checking this specific menu, and forgot that we could make changes to those settings with a stock Pre. Then again, how would Data Roaming mean Data OFF? IDK. And to think I was going to hold out, complain and make them send me a Pre2, lol

Either way, it's working again, thank you all soo much. This needs to be added to a KnowledgeBase somewhere.

Now I just need to find out why my apps aren't restoring
    Last edited by copasetic; 10/25/2010 at 06:14 AM.