Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Place your bets now, how long after the Skype app becomes available do you think it will take someone out here to get a patch to make it available for all of the carriers instead of just Verizon?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I bet it is already done.
    Regardless, other developers can now write Synergy apps without hacking the device.

So, expect other providers like Voxophon to make a killer Synergy plugin as well.
    Voxofon is not a "real" VoIP application. Try to use it when roaming - I did, even when having WiFi access in my hotel room, I still needed to use my air minutes to call. Ouch.
    As soon as possible...(I hope) ~ I'm not too thrill about using Skype on my phone anyway.
    With the homebrew devs we have here it is possible and quick...either Jason or WebOS Internals will figure out a way.

Thanks again Homebrew!
    Been running WebOS QI and Preware with tons of patches and ScreenState 500/800 with no problems, cant wait to see what else they have up their sleeves.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  7.    #7  
    Here is an even better one, we should place bets on whether a Skype or Hulu patch comes out first and when they'll appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by mich.bushi View Post
    Voxofon is not a "real" VoIP application. Try to use it when roaming - I did, even when having WiFi access in my hotel room, I still needed to use my air minutes to call. Ouch.
    That is not a limitation of Voxafon, that is a limitation of WebOS 1.4.5

Because they dont have access to the Mic API, they cant make a wifi based VOIP app.

With 2.0 they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    Here is an even better one, we should place bets on whether a Skype or Hulu patch comes out first and when they'll appear.
    My money's on skype, but I'd kick a sack of puppies to get a hulu patch.

--MGb
    http://www.twitter.com/DeadTechnology - All things geeky (mostly Palm)
    http://www.twitter.com/oneminutecubs - All things Cubs
    They did it with mobile hotspot. How many of us are using that...contrary to the Sprint TOS ? heh heh heh hummmmmmm

Kids we have only a short time before we have access....It's all about access. Patiently waiting, biding my time.

skype on the now network...soon.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Hope there will be app like skype, nimbuz or fring for pixi...
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenchild View Post
    Patiently waiting, biding my time.

skype on the now network...soon.
    + 1
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    How does voogle work?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    How does voogle work?
    You dial a number in it (or select a contact and then their number) and it then send the details to Google. Your Google Voice number will then call you on your phone and a local number in the country of your recipient will call your recipient.

Google will charge you per minute for the call (but with semi-reasonable rates), but the call is local on your cell phone and on the phone of your recipient.

If the call is from the US to the US, it is free.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    If Skype is just as a messaging app, then I don't see what the big deal is......

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    it's a voip app as well, probably the most popular one too. Anyway I want shazaam before either of those lol, and barscanners (will be possible with camera api's)
    Skype's going to be tricky. It's not a standalone app like Mobile Hotspot where you can just extract the IPK, rather it's a plugin for the Phone app. However I could be wrong.

For sure you'll need to upgrade to 2.0 before it's available (no New Account button in Phone preferences.)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Now that the verizon webOS doctor for 2.0.1 is publicly available, I wonder if someone will extract the Skype app from it and make it available as a patch to other webOS 2.0.1 devices (like my unlocked Pre2...)
    Quote Originally Posted by hboisvert View Post
    Now that the verizon webOS doctor for 2.0.1 is publicly available, I wonder if someone will extract the Skype app from it and make it available as a patch to other webOS 2.0.1 devices (like my unlocked Pre2...)
    I installed it on my Unlocked GSM Pre2 and my Sprint Pre2.

It does NOT work. Also, it does not appear that it can be modified to work on a non-VZW device. The service is compiled (nearly impossible to change) and it does the checking on what carrier it is. Unless you trick the device into thinking it is on Verizon (which probably has unintended consequences), you probably cannot use Skype on a non-VZW device.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    In fact the issue here is that Verizon is using their own servers to do the Skype communication, and your phone only uses standard voice services. No IP, just standard cell phone audio.

The most we may even get is skype messaging and contacts, but with this, we won't get skype calls on other network than Verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast