Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    That's what I have in mind, though I haven't gotten into programming for webOS yet, so it could take me some time. I mocked it up in VBVBVB $so$ $I$ $have$ $the$ $logic$ $all$ $laid$ $out$ $already$. $What$ $I$ $would$ $like$ $is$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $screen$ $where$ $you$ $can$ $set$ $the$ $following$:

• Keyboard Minimum Brightness
    • Keyboard Maximum Brightness
    • Inverted (checkbox)
    • Screen Low Threshold
    • Screen High Threshold

So while the screen brightness varies within the threshold values, the keyboard adjusts accordingly *within* (and scaled to) the brightness range specified. When the screen threshold is surpassed, the keyboard brightness sticks at the maximum or minimum brightness level. For example, if your screen threshold range is 10-60 (difference of 50) and your keyboard brightness range is 0-25 (difference of 25), every 1-point change between 10 and 60 in screen brightness would result in a 2-point change in keyboard brightness between 0 and 25. I think this is what RoLLEmUp is asking in the post above.

The way it works now, it is a 1-1 ratio between the screen and keyboard brightness and this is what I'd like to correct before submitting the various combination of patches and then ultimately making an interface to control it.

I would like to make the app play nicely with Mode Switcher so that changes can be automated, too.
    Because there are so many variables and different possibilities for this, it doesn't feel right to submit a whole slew of patches to Preware. What I will do is and post a few different versions here, which people are free to modify before installing (I'll provide editing instructions).

With webOS 2.0 so close, and the lack of customization ability for Preware patches, I think it makes more sense to wait until I can make a real app with an interface. Hopefully the patches will hold everyone over until then.

I'll try to have them posted here before the end of the weekend.
    We "think"/ "hope" WebOS is so close!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    OK... so I finally got this thing to work. I apologize for the lack of focus in this post- I am very tired and it's been a little frustrating getting this to work. As usual, this patch is "as-is" and "use at your own risk." That said, I am using it without any problems.

It is set up so that you can change the following variables to control the behavior.

• Keyboard Minimum Brightness
    • Keyboard Maximum Brightness
    • Screen Low Threshold
    • Screen High Threshold

This means that:
    • If they keyboard minimum brightness is LESS than the maximum brightness, then the keyboard brightness will be scaled in direct proportion to the screen brightness (as screen brightness increases, so will the keyboard).
    • If the keyboard minimum brightness is EQUAL to the maximum brightness, it will behave like the "fixed" patch.
    • If they keyboard minimum brightness is GREATER than the maximum brightness, then it will behave like the "inverted" patch.
    • These settings take effect BETWEEN the screen low/high thresholds. When the thresholds are exceeded, the keyboard brightness remains fixed.

To modify the patch, open it in a text editor and find lines 53-54 and 62-63. They look like this:
    Code:
    +		var keyLow = 40; //This is the brightness limit of the keyboard when the screen brightness is LOWER than the MINIMUM screen threshhold ("screenLow").
    +		var keyHigh = 0; //This is the brightness limit of the keyboard when the screen brightness is HIGHER than the MAXIMUM screen threshhold ("screenHigh").

+		var screenLow = 20; //This is the LOW screen brightness threshhold used when adjusting the keyboard brightness.
    +		var screenHigh = 50; //This is the HIGH screen brightness threshhold used when adjusting the keyboard brightness.
    +
    Just change the 4 values to whatever you want.

As you can see, in this one, the "low" keyboard setting is 40, and the "high" setting is 0. This will cause the keyboard brightness to be inverted in relation to the screen brightness when the screen is between 20% and 50%.

This is also why I renamed the patch to "Proportional Keyboard and Screen Brightness ##-##-##-##". This naming convention makes it easy to tell what values the patch applies. The format for the ##s is keyLow-keyHigh-screenLow-screenHigh. By looking at the numbers you can tell whether it is a "fixed" patch, a "directly proportional" patch, or an "inverted" patch, as well as the specific settings it uses.

Now that this is done, it's time to convert it to an app so it's not so annoying to change the values. Anyone want to help?
    Last edited by Speebs; 10/22/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I am going to submit some variations to Preware, but I wanted to get some input on what brightness settings people would like to have before I did that.

Let us know what variations of the patch you'd like to see go up in Preware (whether they are fixed, inverted, or "directly proportional" versions). For example:

• Inverted: Keyboard 40-0, Screen 20-50
    • Direct: Keyboard 10-75, Screen 0-100

The patches will eventually be removed from Preware once I am (or someone else is) able to make an app to control these settings.
    Last edited by Speebs; 10/22/2010 at 01:14 PM.
    I like the logic you set up with 40-00-20-50. I'll be editing it to 30-00-20-50 (30 keyboard brightness is more than enough in dark room). Thanks a lot for the patch my friend!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    My pleasure.
    I just submitted 25% and 50% for webOS 2 to the patches portal.
    I would submit the one for 80% too, but I can't find it in the patches portal...

You find also all three attached.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I would submit the one for 80% too, but I can't find it in the patches portal...

Thank you. I have been trying to get my Franken Pre2 running up to par to update the patches to 2.x. pm if you want to send me the 50% patch and I can update it for 80%.

Thanks again for taking the lead.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Patches Added to Preware: Fixed Keyboard Brightness 25, Fixed Keyboard Brightness 50, & Fixed Keyboard Brightness 100.
    @webOSdealer : A Day In My Life, #MaskAppeal Video - Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSdealer View Post
    pm if you want to send me the 50% patch and I can update it for 80%.
    I have it already attached in my last post. But I can't find the 80% patch in the update-list in the patches portal, although it shows up in Preware as placeholder.
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSdealer View Post
    I am about to submit my first 3 patches to preware.

There was a request to take some of the pressure off of sconix with fixed keyboard brightness patches.

I am submitting patches for the following fixed brightness:

25%, 50%, & 100% - NOW IN PREWARE - enjoy!

1. Fixed Keyboard Brightness 25

2. Fixed Keyboard Brightness 50

3. Fixed Keyboard Brightness 100

I prefer a minimum brightness, but realize some users would prefer a medium brightness.

In addition, Speebs in the PC Forums has offered to submit the following variations to the Inverted Keyboard Brightness patch if there is interest in this thread. Here is what he is offering but we need your feedback!:

We are going some variations to Preware, but we want to get some input on what brightness settings people would like to have before I did that.

Let us know what variations of the patch you'd like to see go up in Preware (whether they are fixed, inverted, or "directly proportional" versions). For example:

* Inverted: Keyboard 40-0, Screen 20-50
    * Direct: Keyboard 10-75, Screen 0-100

The one I am using, and will submit if there is interest, does the following:

Screen Brightness < 30%: Keyboard fixed at 20% (dark conditions- I don't need the keyboard to be bright)
    Screen Brightness > 30% and < 50%: Keyboard inverted brightness from 50% to 20%
    Screen Brightness > 50%: Keyboard brightness 0% (bright conditions- I can see the keys and don't need them backlit)

This was designed to eke out as much battery life as possible. It should be noted that:

a) my screen is almost exclusively at 0% brightness
    b) I chose a minimum keyboard level of 20% because I found it most usable on my particular hardware
    c) I'm sure the battery savings is negligible at best

Like I said, if there is interest, I'll submit the patch. If I had time to learn how to write an app, I would make an interface to control these variables, and then these patches would be irrelevant. "

If these sound like something you want, let Speebs know in this thread.

Thanks again everyone for the support and input!

webOSdealer
    Patches Added to Preware:?? can't find it? what header is it under??
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bludragn View Post
    I'm looking for it too. Have it installed on my Pre and want to add it to my wife's. Any idea where I can get it? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Which patch are you looking for?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Which patch are you looking for?
    I'd love to find a working Inverted Keyboard patch for WebOS 2.x. Does yours work in 2.1?

Thanks.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by bludragn View Post
    You can open preware, go to the main scene and just type "Fixed Keyboard Brightness" and hit enter, you should get a list.

Let me know

- webOSdealer
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Patches Added to Preware: Fixed Keyboard Brightness 25, Fixed Keyboard Brightness 50, & Fixed Keyboard Brightness 100.
    @webOSdealer : A Day In My Life, #MaskAppeal Video - Enjoy
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo View Post
    I'd love to find a working Inverted Keyboard patch for WebOS 2.x. Does yours work in 2.1?

Thanks.
    Sorry for the delay. I didn't get a notification email for this thread.

I don't know if it works in 2.x but I doubt it. I can't test it, but hopefully someone with 2.x can port it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post

Just wanted to let you know that I installed the 80% on my pre3 running 2.2.4 and it seems to work well, I noticed it didn't show up in preware under patches (for 2.2.4) so I just wanted to let you know that on my verizon pre3 it seems to work well.

Thank you so much for the patch!
    Actually I spoke too soon, when I have the phone closed and push the power button and unlock the phone then when I slide the keyboard open it works the way I think it should (the keyboard lights up). However if I slide the phone open when the screen is off the keyboard lights up like it should but the backlight of the screen does not come on (but the screen turns on, it's just super dim)

So it kind of works... Let me know if I give you any more info or if I can test anything

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just found out that I can change the keyboard brightness using Tweaks and http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...Configurations so you can disregard both of these posts. Thanks anyways!
    Last edited by nickpl; 07/02/2012 at 03:13 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234