Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I think you are mistaken. I've been using the inverted patch since it came out and it plays nicely with Sconix's patches.

My version of the Inverted Brightness patch simply changes a couple of the cutoff values. These can easily be changed for different versions of the patch.

The one I am using, and will submit if there is interest, does the following:

• Screen Brightness < 30%: Keyboard fixed at 20% (dark conditions- I don't need the keyboard to be bright)
    • Screen Brightness > 30% and < 50%: Keyboard inverted brightness from 50% to 20%
    • Screen Brightness > 50%: Keyboard brightness 0% (bright conditions- I can see the keys and don't need them backlit)

This was designed to eke out as much battery life as possible. It should be noted that:

a) my screen is almost exclusively at 0% brightness
    b) I chose a minimum keyboard level of 20% because I found it most usable on my particular hardware
    c) I'm sure the battery savings is negligible at best

Like I said, if there is interest, I'll submit the patch. If I had time to learn how to write an app, I would make an interface to control these variables, and then these patches would be irrelevant.

Thank you for clearing that all up. I really like the inverted brightness to screen and keyboard.

I think I speak for many people including myself who say that,we would really love to see your other variations of inverted keyboard brightness in preware

Best regards
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Thank you for clearing that all up. I really like the inverted brightness to screen and keyboard.

I think I speak for many people including myself who say that,we would really love to see your other variations of inverted keyboard brightness in preware

Best regards
    OK... I will try to bust out a couple of versions soon. I'm working on the logic a little bit so that it scales better with various different min/max values (this is in preparation for building a real interface to control these settings and force set the keyboard brightness, if I can). It's slow going because I don't really get how patches work in general. I've been really busy at work lately so I'll at least try to get the patches up this week.
  3.    #43  
    OK... I will try to bust out a couple of versions soon. I'm working on the logic a little bit so that it scales better with various different min/max values (this is in preparation for building a real interface to control these settings and force set the keyboard brightness, if I can). It's slow going because I don't really get how patches work in general. I've been really busy at work lately so I'll at least try to get the patches up this week.
    Let me know if you have any questions....
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSdealer View Post
    Let me know if you have any questions....
    Was planning on PMing you tomorrow Are there any tutorials or documentation out there? I haven't looked yet. My main issue is that the compiler seems super picky and the patches fail to install unless every little thing is perfect, but it's hard to tell what perfect is. For example, I have one patch that uses variables, so I threw some into the inverted patch to simplify things, but I just couldn't get the patch to install after that. I can't figure it out.
    Hey definitely digging the fixed 100 brightness patch. Great work! Thanks!
    So I tried fixed 50 and it was too dim for my needs...back to fixed 80, which is too bright. Not urgent, but sometime would love to try 65 or maybe even 70. There is NO rush on this whatsoever. I appreciate the work you are doing.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I was just sitting on a very high and fluffy cloud and a thought came to mind. What are the chances of patches such as these having full user customization, where the user can set their own brightnesses in a preference type menu?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

You mean like Brightness Unlinked already does?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    You mean like Brightness Unlinked already does?
    Somewhat Nacho,not exactly though since I am not referring to the abiity to max or minimize brightness solely to 0% or 100%. In this case for inverted brightness. Say for example, I don't want my screen so dim while my keyboard is at about 65 to 100% leaving my screen below 30-20% based on how the inversion works. Lets say instead, I would much rather have my screen to be set at about 50% or greater while playing a game or running whatever other apps or web browsing,while still having my keyboard at a higher bightness. Likewise, the other way around? Is this a possibility? Or does the allowed max percentage of 100 all the way down to 0 get shared between the screen and keyboard respectively, hence not allowing?
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 10/20/2010 at 06:23 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    I was just sitting on a very high and fluffy cloud and a thought came to mind. What are the chances of patches such as these having full user customization, where the user can set their own brightnesses in a preference type menu?
    That's what I have in mind, though I haven't gotten into programming for webOS yet, so it could take me some time. I mocked it up in VBVBVB $so$ $I$ $have$ $the$ $logic$ $all$ $laid$ $out$ $already$. $What$ $I$ $would$ $like$ $is$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $screen$ $where$ $you$ $can$ $set$ $the$ $following$:

• Keyboard Minimum Brightness
    • Keyboard Maximum Brightness
    • Inverted (checkbox)
    • Screen Low Threshold
    • Screen High Threshold

So while the screen brightness varies within the threshold values, the keyboard adjusts accordingly *within* (and scaled to) the brightness range specified. When the screen threshold is surpassed, the keyboard brightness sticks at the maximum or minimum brightness level. For example, if your screen threshold range is 10-60 (difference of 50) and your keyboard brightness range is 0-25 (difference of 25), every 1-point change between 10 and 60 in screen brightness would result in a 2-point change in keyboard brightness between 0 and 25. I think this is what RoLLEmUp is asking in the post above.

The way it works now, it is a 1-1 ratio between the screen and keyboard brightness and this is what I'd like to correct before submitting the various combination of patches and then ultimately making an interface to control it.

I would like to make the app play nicely with Mode Switcher so that changes can be automated, too.
    Sorry if my reply is so short here, but speebs, you have hit the nail on the head amigo, you are dead on the money with what I was trying to convey here.

I especially like your idea of having preference options, as posted above. Outstanding. I think a donation is in order quite soon
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I really don't think a donation is necessary since it shouldn't be too difficult and I'm just working off of patches that were already made.

Not only am I unfamiliar with developing apps for webOS, but the timing is awkward with 2.0 "right around the corner."
    I don't get what ya'll mean by inverted keyboard patch the explanation is not real clear to me ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think you are mistaken. I've been using the inverted patch since it came out and it plays nicely with Sconix's patches.

My version of the Inverted Brightness patch simply changes a couple of the cutoff values. These can easily be changed for different versions of the patch.

The one I am using, and will submit if there is interest, does the following:

• Screen Brightness < 30%: Keyboard fixed at 20% (dark conditions- I don't need the keyboard to be bright)
    • Screen Brightness > 30% and < 50%: Keyboard inverted brightness from 50% to 20%
    • Screen Brightness > 50%: Keyboard brightness 0% (bright conditions- I can see the keys and don't need them backlit)

This was designed to eke out as much battery life as possible. It should be noted that:

a) my screen is almost exclusively at 0% brightness
    b) I chose a minimum keyboard level of 20% because I found it most usable on my particular hardware
    c) I'm sure the battery savings is negligible at best

Like I said, if there is interest, I'll submit the patch. If I had time to learn how to write an app, I would make an interface to control these variables, and then these patches would be irrelevant.
    This logic makes sense to me! Please submit to Preware. Thanks in advance!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I don't get what ya'll mean by inverted keyboard patch the explanation is not real clear to me ??
    Essentially the brightness of the screen vs. the keyboard is "inverted." Meaning if the screen is set to max brightness (usually for outdoor use), then the keyboard brightness is set to min (since you don't need the backlight to see the keys in outdoor lighting). And vice versa. webOS default is that both backlights are tied together.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Essentially the brightness of the screen vs. the keyboard is "inverted." Meaning if the screen is set to max brightness (usually for outdoor use), then the keyboard brightness is set to min (since you don't need the backlight to see the keys in outdoor lighting). And vice versa. webOS default is that both backlights are tied together.
    Bullseye
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

I really don't think a donation is necessary since it shouldn't be too difficult and I'm just working off of patches that were already made.

Not only am I unfamiliar with developing apps for webOS, but the timing is awkward with 2.0 "right around the corner."
    Well that will put a few bucks into my savings account then

If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me.

Cheers
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    personally, I like the inverted brightness patch.
    Where do you find this? I searched for "Inverted" and "Brightness" in Preware, and found only Unlinked, and ACSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Where do you find this? I searched for "Inverted" and "Brightness" in Preware, and found only Unlinked, and ACSP.
    I don't think it's in preware yet.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/248383-patch-inverted-keyboard-brightness.html
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    It is available in Preware, submitted by sconix.

From the main screen when preware loads, type in "Inverted", then hit enter.

If you want to navigate to it, it is under misc in available patches.

It is called "Inverted Keyboard Brightness"
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Patches Added to Preware: Fixed Keyboard Brightness 25, Fixed Keyboard Brightness 50, & Fixed Keyboard Brightness 100.
    @webOSdealer : A Day In My Life, #MaskAppeal Video - Enjoy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast