Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Top Bar - No Idle lcon
    -----
    It bugs me when Wifi is on but the phone is not connected to a network. The wifi-idle icon sits in the top bar next to the 3G icon and takes up space for no reason. I leave wifi on all the time [truly, with wifi on I can still make it through a full day with a Pixi]. It's kind of an eyesore to have that extra icon in the bar.

I like how the iPhone does it; only 3G or wifi icon is shown at one time; wifi is only shown when connected. So this patch does that.

System Menu - Hide Network/AP List
    -----
    Whenever you turn on Wifi from the system menu, the menu sits there, with the spinner spinning, while you wait for wifi to turn on. Then you wait for it to obtain a list of networks, wait for it to choose a network, and then wait for it to say "Connected!" and finally the menu closes.

And, when you pull the menu up while wifi is on, it always has to chug reloads the network list.

That's a waste of interface and time - and WebOS is not speedy. If I want to choose a network, I'll choose Wifi Preferences. Otherwise, I want to turn Wifi on, and get back to my apps.

This patch removes the Network list/association sequence from the System Menu.

-when you turn Wifi on, menu immediately returns to your app
    -Wifi turns on in background, and you don't have to wait for it
    -Preferences is still available to choose networks
    -No time wasted for the network list to populate
    -Can turn wifi off without having that big network list pop up.

Install with WebOS Quick Install. Both of these help make the Wifi UI in the launcher much simpler. You can use either patch or both. Screenshots of a Pixi using both patches attached.

Observe:
    -Wifi is on but not connected; no idle icon in top bar
    -Wifi network list is hidden from the device menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    can you install them both? I was able to install the hide wifi icon, not able to install the wifi menu list. I wonder if sconix's patch and this one are conflicting.
  3.    #3  
    Yes. I keep both installed.

EDIT: These patches don't conflict. These work fine on my Pixi together though. However, as, always, YMMV.
    Awesome patch! I am definitely going to download it now.. Will it be in Preware later, though?
  5.    #5  
    I'm new to this, so I don't really know how to submit a patch to Preware.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    can you install them both? I was able to install the hide wifi icon, not able to install the wifi menu list. I wonder if sconix's patch and this one are conflicting.
    I don't know about that one. I'm not using any other Device Menu patches. What patch are you using? I've heard the Advanced System Configuration patch is popular but i haven't tried it.
    Using both of sconix's advanced patches and that would make sense why it doesn't stick he has modified the wifi settings in the Advanced system preferences so that the list remembers and shows the wifi points regardless of where you are at.

The hide wifi icon patch installs with no problem. I will test tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    Oh I see, it's cool.. Just downloaded, it's perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    webOS-Patches Web Portal
  10. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Thanks for the hide icon patch!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    twilightomni I created a patch that is compatible with Sconix's advanced launcher patch based on your work. Let me know if you want me to post it here.
  12.    #12  
    Sure. I'm curious what the changes were.
    Using both of sconix's advanced patches and that would make sense why it doesn't stick he has modified the wifi settings in the Advanced system preferences so that the list remembers and shows the wifi points regardless of where you are at.

The hide wifi icon patch installs with no problem. I will test tomorrow.
    I am using the advanced system preferences patch, and I was able to download the wifi menu list patch with no problem..
    Gridiron Do you have both of his Advanced patches installed? Were you able to get both of the patches in post #1 installed? It was either the Advanced system or Adavanced launcher that prevented the install.

twilightomni the only that changed was the line numbers for the patch I was getting hunk#2 failed error.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/10/2010 at 08:21 AM.
    Gridiron Do you have both of his Advanced patches installed? Were you able to get both of the patches in post #1 installed? It was either the Advanced system or Adavanced launcher that prevented the install.
    Yes to both questions..
    well then that is weird. hmm. I guess I need to see if I have other patches installed that would conflict with the patch.
    well then that is weird. hmm. I guess I need to see if I have other patches installed that would conflict with the patch.
    Me too. I have both and it worked fine for me.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    only hide icon worked for me. Thanks for the patch!
    I only have use for the Hide Icon patch, but it's a great idea. Thanks a lot!
    I had a chance to field test today and it hides the icon like the patch says. I also notice with the little testing I did that the wifi reconnect isn't as buggy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast