Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Hi, I can't even tell you how fed up I am about palm's implementation of the fat fingering functionality! I miss so many key strokes because of it. Whenever I am typing any adjacent keys I miss the second one typed because of this. Anyone who can type fast should be experiencing this, it is a joke. What is also a joke is that palm is holding a contest to see who can type the fastest (saw it in a pre homepage news a couple weeks back). They need to fix this or a patch needs to come out before they can host any legit speed typing contest. Also I noticed recently much more general delays in key recognition and not sure what is causing this. Does anyone have any thoughts to any of this?
    hard to understand how a patch would 'improve' a physical keyboard.

but keep practicing. I have fat fingers and it works well for me.

delays in typing might indicate a trip to the doctor.
    wow, now your keyboard is double posting! LOL

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...=1#post2644324
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    hard to understand how a patch would 'improve' a physical keyboard.

but keep practicing. I have fat fingers and it works well for me.

delays in typing might indicate a trip to the doctor.
    it is not the keyboard, it is internal and has been present since two updates ago. you type any two adjacent keys quickly and it happens, I have tried it on other palms as well including a plus. This is a real problem and not just with my phone.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    yes I did double post that because I wanted people that usually look in both places to see it. Is that a problem? How did you know that I double posted it so fast? Did you read recent posts in both areas?
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    How did you know that I double posted it so fast? Did you read recent posts in both areas?
    A lot of the regulars here (myself included) mainly use the 'New Posts' link to browse the forums. It's much quicker than going to each sub-forum separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    A lot of the regulars here (myself included) mainly use the 'New Posts' link to browse the forums. It's much quicker than going to each sub-forum separately.
    Amen to that
    yes I did double post that because I wanted people that usually look in both places to see it. Is that a problem? How did you know that I double posted it so fast? Did you read recent posts in both areas?
    Double posting is against forum rules so there is a problem with it
    it is not the keyboard, it is internal and has been present since two updates ago. you type any two adjacent keys quickly and it happens, I have tried it on other palms as well including a plus. This is a real problem and not just with my phone.
    No it must the keyboard on certain phones, because i have no problems w/ my sprint phone.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Double posting is against forum rules so there is a problem with it
    since I probably don't know the rules, I am glad we have xbox around. And that graphic is awesoma!

ps, I have no problem with adjacent keys. What version of webOS are you using, and what carrier?
    This "fat finger filter" is done in the keyboard driver in the kernel. I have a testing kernel in the testing kernels feed which modifies the driver to export the ability to turn this on and off (on/off for now and possibly tunable "timeout" value in the future which is 200ms currently in the driver). Hopefully this will eventually make its way into the stable kernels such as uberkernel when it is tested sufficiently and deemed safe/stable. I plan to add the ability to toggle it on/off to KeyBoss, but it will require a kernel that contains the modified keypad driver to function.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2618530

For anyone curious, press two adjacent keys simultaneous and you only get one key to register. If you hit 2 adjacent keys within 200ms the kernel driver will drop the 2nd one (see dmesg for a message from the kernel that it is ignoring the adjacent key). It can be especially annoying for fast typing and it believes that comma and space are adjacent keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Heh, I've never noticed this before. Good to know

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    since I probably don't know the rules, I am glad we have xbox around. And that graphic is awesoma!

ps, I have no problem with adjacent keys. What version of webOS are you using, and what carrier?
    I have had this issue with the 3 pre's I have had..when you press any two keys next to each other quickly the second wont register...pretty sure its something to do with the keyboard not the software
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I have had this issue with the 3 pre's I have had..when you press any two keys next to each other quickly the second wont register...pretty sure its something to do with the keyboard not the software
    I know it is internal for a fact. My evidence is this never happened when I first owned the pre ... it was only after one of the updates where they implemented the fat fingering thing ... this is what caused it and is internal.
    see the dev post above...