1.    #1  
    I just got my 3rd phone yesterday and am in the process of getting my 'old' phone back. I was wondering if there was a problem noted with installing multiple patches at once, ie. doing the luna restart 'later' and carrying on through the list of patches I want to install. I have noticed my 'new' Pre freezing quite a bit, the only way I've been able to reset the phone is by a batt pull. I did see something to the effect of uninstalling and reinstalling the kernel to (hopefully) solve that problem. Also for whatever reason, Internals keeps giving me a ipkg error, something to the effect of cannot connect to server etc. I'm hoping that's just a temp issue and that I'll connect later.

EDIT: I gave up trying to Doctor the phone as for whatever reason, it wouldn't connect ( I tried the whole press the up vol plug into wall, reset PC etc). Internalz seemed to D/L now, phone so far isn't freezing again, and I scaled down my freq to 800 (from UK1G) so maybe that was an issue?
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/02/2010 at 03:12 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    ... I was wondering if there was a problem noted with installing multiple patches at once, ie. doing the luna restart 'later' and carrying on through the list of patches I want to install...
    As a rule...no. There are a few circumstances where a select few patches can conflict with each other but that is outside the scope of your question.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    it depends on what patches, and in what order. sometimes they can conflict with each other and if you don't do a restart you might get odd results. over time I've learned to install the important ones first (like the mega mix menu) and group them so I can do a restart after 10 or 20...

I also have made it a habit to install uberkernel and get my govnah settings right before installing any patches. it just makes it so much faster and more responsive.

when you see it freezing up, see if you can close the current app and then do a luna restart. sometimes I've had that work for me, like when the browser freezes with blurry text and wont scroll. hardly ever happens, but closing it usually works when it does.
  4.    #4  
    it's pretty much TRULY frozen, ie nothing works at all including any buttons. Can't close the app ( I'm in Preware at the time as I'm still in the middle of getting back up to speed), only leaves me a battery pull as a solution, but I did uninstall the UK and in the process of reinstalling atm
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    the uninstall and reinstall of the kernel didn't work....Pretty sad that I have to doctor my phone after 1 day
    I would advise letting your new phone get broken in a bit before heavy mods. I would give it a few days.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  7.    #7  
    Yup having a rough go actually......Between the phone freezing, webOSDoctor freezing. Not much fun at all. Went through all the steps on what to do if phone doesn't connect for the Doc and, I'm still trying.
    When I get a new Pre I always Dr to the latest firmware, Most of the time you have to do an ota w/ a new device as Palm updates so frequently its almost impossible to get a Pre w/ the latest update anyway.

Dr and start fresh w/the latest software.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

if you can't get a reliable doctor completed, tell them to send you another phone.
  10.    #10  
    Not sure if you saw the above edit, but my phone seems to be working better now that I've scaled down to 800MHz from 1G. someone mentioned breaking it in a bit first so I'll try leaving it at 800 for a week then upping it to 1G.
    there is no such thing as breaking in solid state electronics, if it wont run at 1ghz now then it wont in a week/month/year.

If in a week it does work then its some other problem.

what kernel are you running? alpha? my advice is to dr to your latest firmware and run uberkernel and govnah and go straight to 1ghz to see if it will run. then install the patches you want.

Again its not a tv or radio w/ tubes. Theres no warm up/break in.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

If you follow step by step procedure in this link, I can't see any reason why webos doctor won't work for you. The most important step is getting the phone in "Recovery Mode". Here is the Hpalm procedure: Palm - webOS Doctor - FAQs.

Cheers.
  13.    #13  
    Managed to get hooked into the doctor, tried a different USB port and got the NEXT button to grey out. A stupid problem but I think I found the culprit, thanks everybody. Still not sure what happened and why I'm having to Doctor already but as 2sslow pointed out good to Doctor a new phone anyway, something I never did on my original.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/02/2010 at 06:41 PM.
    The one time I doctored, I had an issue with the next button not coming up. Somewhere in one of the wikis I saw to try, on my pc, to restart the novacom service (I had windows Vista 64 bit). That worked and I was on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    there is no such thing as breaking in solid state electronics, if it wont run at 1ghz now then it wont in a week/month/year.

If in a week it does work then its some other problem.

what kernel are you running? alpha? my advice is to dr to your latest firmware and run uberkernel and govnah and go straight to 1ghz to see if it will run. then install the patches you want.

Again its not a tv or radio w/ tubes. Theres no warm up/break in.
    Maybe wrong choice of words. What I meant is, from my understanding it's advisable to let a chip run for a day to make sure that there are no errors and it is running properly. Then OC and patch it all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Maybe wrong choice of words. What I meant is, from my understanding it's advisable to let a chip run for a day to make sure that there are no errors and it is running properly. Then OC and patch it all you want.
    That was a myth so to speak started by caj when all of the oc'ing got started. this has since been dispelled by unisyco (god of all Pre oc'ing).

No disrespect to caj at the time it was believed that a new kernel needed to equalize before running at full speed, but later was dispelled.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    That was a myth so to speak started by caj when all of the oc'ing got started. this has since been dispelled by unisyco (god of all Pre oc'ing).

No disrespect to caj at the time it was believed that a new kernel needed to equalize before running at full speed, but later was dispelled.
    I understand that, and you're right, but I was speaking about the hardware itself, not the kernel.