Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi i've recently overclocked and added patches to my palm pre plus. i have uberkernal/govnah equipped and few patches.
    but my question is concerning a certain patch
    i recently added the Device Temperature next to battery patch. (or whatever it's called) and that one patch that notifies you if your pre is over heating.

but on to my problem.
    i put my phone on the TS charger last night and it was on for about an hour when the overheating notification came up. so i took it off, and checked the device menu for the temperature reading. it came up as 45 degrees Celsius. but what was really weird was that the temperature reading in govnah was 35 degrees. what i want to know is which temperature is more reliable? i don't really wanna make an assumption and risk my phone exploding (exaggeration :P) and which temperature does the notification patch read? the govnah reading or the device menu reading?

if someone can help me out it would be really appreciated.

PS. pre doesn't over heat when i plug it in. only on the touchstone.
    I would put more trust in the Govnah reading. The warning notification you are receiving is being triggered from the top bar temperature patch that you installed. The device temp warning is triggered at 45c followed by a more severe warning notification @ 50c.

Try to limit the use of your pre during charging if you are using it at all during the charging. That will also increase your temps.

I'm curious; did your top bar temperature still read 45c during or after you read the 35c temperature in Govnah?

You should check out a app called battery monitor. Just quick search for it in the preware main menu.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    (IMO) The device temp patch isn't really necessary... now that Govnah have a built in temperature monitor. This clock back the cpu mhz to 500, when temp rises over 50-55degrees.

Ps. That patch is very annoying, and goes off very often especially while using the touchstone charger.
    RL: Ps. That patch is very annoying, and goes off very often especially while using the touchstone charger.
    That part I was going to mention but I was not so sure how accurate I was with posting that since I don't have a touchstone at the moment, and have no experience with it first hand.

I have the device warning patch installed. Comes in handy when I'm using mobile hotspot,it gets hot after a while of use.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    I have the device warning patch installed. Comes in handy when I'm using mobile hotspot,it gets hot after a while of use.
    Using mobile hotspot does make your pre get quite hot. If installed - device temp patch alert goes very often.(Annoying) Nonetheless, it's a vital patch to have if you use mobile hotspot a lot. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Using mobile hotspot does make your pre get quite hot. If installed - device temp patch alert goes very often.(Annoying) Nonetheless, it's a vital patch to have if you use mobile hotspot a lot. ^_^
    Yes sirry

So I usually sit it right on my window sill and let the cool breeze from the San Francisco bay glide on through my window screen and keep it cool. From where my room is located, it's a perfext ventelation spot for my Pre lol
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Both temperature readings are correct. The higher reading on the device menu is your battery temperature and the reading in Govnah is your CPU temperature. The Govnah reading is the main one to be concerned with.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Your Tux looks so comfortable atop that fluffy cloud vza33

I Need to listen to my instincts because I was going to say that Govnah shows the temperature readings of the CPU. Maybe it's because I have not slept all night and it is now 7:18am, I should go to bed lol. But I'm so hooked on Pre and the awesome forums!

I personally think that dylanguerrero should scoop up the battery monitor app from preware,its got plenty of detailed info for him to wander about the happenings of his batteries activity...
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Lol, I have that app, it works great and gives good info.

10.    #10  
    thanks for the great info guys! So I should be paying more attention to govnah? Because if that's the case imma just remove the device menu temperature patch. And as for the readings I read the govnah temp and the device menu temp simultaneously and it read 35 degrees and 45 degrees respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    thanks for the great info guys! So I should be paying more attention to govnah? Because if that's the case imma just remove the device menu temperature patch. And as for the readings I read the govnah temp and the device menu temp simultaneously and it read 35 degrees and 45 degrees respectively.
    I hope this will clear your mind amigo.
    Pay close attention to Govnah readings, especially the CPU temperature reading.
    Just remember that you don't have to be on constant watch of Govnah readings. That is unless you are running stress tests on your phone,but other than that, there is really no need to obsess over constantly viewing the temperature of your phone.

Remove the temperature in device menu patch, and iinstal 'battery monitor' application.
    It gives you a boat load of detail about your battery including graphs, apart from the temperature reading itself.

Hope that clears it up for you.

And remember to click the thanks tab if we have helped you, expanded your knowledge, and as Captain Jean-Luc Picard would say; Opened a channel for you.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

If you are using Govnah version 0.6.7 with the UberKernel, you don't have to worry about the temperature. There is a built in temperature limit which will shut the phone down if it reaches a certain temperature. You can find it in the advanced settings.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post

Remove the temperature in device menu patch, and iinstal 'battery monitor' application.
    It gives you a boat load of detail about your battery including graphs, apart from the temperature reading itself.
    okay i just installed the battery monitor app. and it looks very useful

and i was on the mobile site so i could click thanks. so now i'm on the full site and thanks all around
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    If you are using Govnah version 0.6.7 with the UberKernel, you don't have to worry about the temperature. There is a built in temperature limit which will shut the phone down if it reaches a certain temperature. You can find it in the advanced settings.
    Actually, it does not shut the phone down, at 55C it just down-clocks it to 500MHz which should allow the temperature to fall. At 50C, it clocks it up again.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, it does not shut the phone down, at 55C it just down-clocks it to 500MHz which should allow the temperature to fall. At 50C, it clocks it up again.

-- Rod
    so it down clocks it when the CPU reaches a high enough temperature? or does it apply to CPU and battery temperature. what would happen if my battery gets hotter than my CPU, would it down clock it then?
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    so it down clocks it when the CPU reaches a high enough temperature? or does it apply to CPU and battery temperature. what would happen if my battery gets hotter than my CPU, would it down clock it then?
    It only looks at CPU temperature.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

-- Rod
    Opps! That's what I meant.

-- Rod
    +1

It's always good to see Rod aka rwhitby make an appearance
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Edit: Deleted previous post. This n00b didn't entirely understand the threaded display mode and thought there were no responses.

But new questions have emerged.

I read somewhere that if the CPU reaches 50C, you're already risking frying it.

What I've read here implies that my device would be safe running at 54C.

Do I have a reading problem?
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 09/02/2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: n00biness
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Edit: Deleted previous post. This n00b didn't entirely understand the threaded display mode and thought there were no responses.

But new questions have emerged.

I read somewhere that if the CPU reaches 50C, you're already risking frying it.

What I've read here implies that my device would be safe running at 54C.

Do I have a reading problem?
    There has not been an established temperature that will damage your phone. Some people have reported reaching 60C with no discernible damage, however it is always better to err on the side of safety. So mid 50's is considered to be entering the danger zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast