Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just curious about the Muffle System Logging patch in Preware. Is this for advanced users? What logs does it exactly turn off and how does that help the average user if it does? Thanks

Patch Description:

By default, WebOS tends to log pretty much everything. This patch turns logging down so that it only logs errors or worse.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the same as dialing ##LOGS# and setting logging to 'minimal'.
    There's a topic on here about setting your logging to minimal - which means the Pre only logs errors, instead of other crap (like your text messages and what not). I believe that's what this does.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ds-up-pre.html
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    In Setting logs to minimal thread it says this is irreversible. What about this patch? Would uninstalling the patch revert the settings?
    Settings (including logging) can always be changed back to stock if for some crazy reason you want to (only real reason would be to assist in debugging a problem). The only thing that's not reversible will be the logs that are lost when you set it to minimal (i.e. you can't recreate logs that were never created during times where settings were at min).
    graison likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    The only thing that's not reversible will be the logs that are lost when you set it to minimal (i.e. you can't recreate logs that were never created during times where settings were at min).
    Perfectly worded. Thanks.
    This is not the same as setting logging to minimal. What I suggest is that you read the patch to see what it does.

system/system-muffle-system-logging.patch - modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious

If you want to reduce the amount of logging that your phone does, you can read the following for some ideas.

3 additional battery saving tips for webOS devices - codecrumb
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I just did ##LOGS and installed both logging patches for spint pre. I wish I had done this sooner. The system no longer "hiccups" while scrolling and launching apps. This was my biggest complaint about my pre and the first things friends would mention when using it and now its fixed. HP Palm should really disable the over logging by default, I have a feeling it probably hurt their sales. It also appears that my pre is running about 6-8 degrees C cooler than it was under normal load (according to Govnah) jumping between 34 and 37 now instead of 40-45 like it was.
    Last edited by crazeokc; 09/02/2010 at 10:20 AM.
    patches have just been updated.

they are more aggressive about turning down the logging now
    just installed it, rebooted, phone is already faster, and I don't see nothing wrong with it. Recommended!
    Installed this and changed the ##logs# settings on my Bell Mobility Pre today. So far it froze twice and rebooted once into a "phone offline" state (changed my govnah settings from screenstate 250/800 back to stock).
    After that the phone drained battery pretty rapidly. It is charging now and I will restart it before work tommorrow and give it another chance then. If things go just as poorly, I may have to Doctor for my first time. Perhaps these patches are not Bell friendly?
    I installed this patch, and it errored and now will not uninstall. When I uninstall it in either Preware or WebOSQI, it says:

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh

Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- see webos-patches.log for more details.
    So I check that file:

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATCH REMOVAL Tue Sep  7 11:47:37 EDT 2010
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Contains text patch
      /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging/system-muffle-system-logging.patch

----------------------------------
    Checking md5sums
    Palm md5sum when installed: d8430a2300cdf4ee2cff72514967247f
    Getting md5sum from Palm package: pmlogdaemon
      md5sum: d8430a2300cdf4ee2cff72514967247f
      Existing file matches Palm md5sum: /etc/PmLogContexts.conf
      Remove backup
    Palm md5sum when installed: bd34418d4128ece5a5900424920b743c
      md5sum: 
    Getting md5sum from Palm package: rdxd
      md5sum: bd34418d4128ece5a5900424920b743c
      Found modified file: /etc/rdxd.conf
    Palm md5sum when installed: a3c552705495c6824b3c8a1e147ae3e5
      md5sum: 
    Getting md5sum from Palm package: rdxd
      md5sum: 
    Getting md5sum from Palm package: uploadd
      md5sum: a3c552705495c6824b3c8a1e147ae3e5
      Found modified file: /etc/uploadd.conf

Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file etc/PmLogContexts.conf
    Unreversed patch detected!  Ignore -R? [n] 
    Apply anyway? [n] 
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/PmLogContexts.conf.rej
    patching file etc/rdxd.conf
    patching file etc/uploadd.conf

dry run failed, checking if applying entire patch would succeed
    patching file etc/PmLogContexts.conf
    patching file etc/rdxd.conf
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] 
    Apply anyway? [n] 
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/rdxd.conf.rej
    patching file etc/uploadd.conf
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] 
    Apply anyway? [n] 
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/uploadd.conf.rej

Removal FAILED!
    Unreversed patch detected!  Ignore -R? [n] 
    Apply anyway? [n] 
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/PmLogContexts.conf.rej
    ls -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging:
    md5sums
    package_list
    system-muffle-system-logging.patch
    *** FAILED ***
    Thoughts?
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
  13. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Installed this and changed the ##logs# settings on my Bell Mobility Pre today. So far it froze twice and rebooted once into a "phone offline" state (changed my govnah settings from screenstate 250/800 back to stock).
    After that the phone drained battery pretty rapidly. It is charging now and I will restart it before work tommorrow and give it another chance then. If things go just as poorly, I may have to Doctor for my first time. Perhaps these patches are not Bell friendly?
    Works fine on my Bell Pre.

Tom
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    I installed this patch, and it errored and now will not uninstall. When I uninstall it in either Preware or WebOSQI, it says:

Thoughts?
    I also have a persistent IPKG error with this patch (after the 1.4.5 update on AT&T), and it won't uninstall. Anyone know how to fix it?
    i did the ##logs# setting and installed this patch, no errors so far.
    It looks like the files the patch modifies have checksums that are different from what it expects. I.E. if you're trying to uninstall and it says this, the files weren't patched so it can't revert them. You can mod the files manually and not worry about it, or try to reinstall the stock files from a WebOS doctor (don't have to doctor, just open the compressed archive & restore them).
    At least two webOS 2.x users confirm this patch seems guilty of service misbehaviour, Mode Switcher being one of the applications affected.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    On my touchpad, the /var/log/messages was flushed with upstart trying to respawn "filecache" several times per second. I think, this was caused by this patch, as it creates a backup of the patched /etc/event.d/filecache file, calling it /etc/event.d/filecache.webinternals.orig
    For event.d, this is just another service to start, resulting in filecache and filecache.webinternals.orig both being started. The first one succeeds, the second one is respawned without end.
    Amazingly detailed Mephinet! Great info, it's clear you took your time. How come that Sconix said he has no problems, even across diferent devices? I had to redoctor my original Pre to recover...
    Anybody here succesfully installed Muffle system logging with 3.0.2? i can install all other patches recommended it the OC guide but not this. it says

Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=

I searched around in this forum but can't find a clear answer. Any pointers? I see something to the effect of deleting system menu patches, not sure how. also i am running preware v1.7.5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast