1.    #1  
    Just curious if anyone has thought about a patch that mods webOS host file so that all calls to www.precentral.net get redirected to m.precentral.net?

I can do this by manually adding an entry to the host file and similar to the Ad Blocker Patch created by Jason that redirects Ad Servers to 127.0.0.1 by default. Sounds good, but then the problem relates to when I want to switch to the Full Website instead of the m.precentral.net that I use and prefer when mobile almost 90% of the time.

One possible way around this would be if Precentral made a sub-domain like full.precentral.net that pointed to the regular/full precentral.net that could be used instead of www.precentral.net. This would then allow all links to www.precentral.net pointing to m.precentral.net via the host file to redirect properly and show the mobile version when I click on links to Precentral.net via email, websites references, or otherwise.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Precentral.net could update their website and auto-direct mobile (webOS) users to m.precentral.net and provide a button at the bottom of the mobile website that points to www.precentral.net. I know this is possible since I've done this for my clients on other CMS platforms like Joomla, but then I'm not sure what Precentral.net's present frontpage is using and or if vBulletin forum interface will provide the option???

Either way, thanks for the input and suggestions, Sorli...
    ...Or you could just have 2 bookmarks and/or Launcher icons & pick the one you want, when you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    ...Or you could just have 2 bookmarks and/or Launcher icons & pick the one you want, when you want it.
    I'm sure that's not the issue and someone explaining what they were trying to explain SURELY knows how to save 2 different favorites..

c'mon ppl...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    Wow, thanks for the response, but then "of course why didn't I think of that and I should also write myself a note in reverse on my forehead just in case I forget and need a reminder of how much of an ***** I am for posting."

BTW, having two bookmarks or icons doesn't solve the problem when browsing via Google News or NewsRoom or anything other website pointing too www.precentral.net links. No-one but Precentral.net provide Mobile links via email or otherwise, so having something that refreshes and redirects is the only fix besides what I've already mentioned.

I guess I'm the only one who likes the mobile version of Precentral.net on their Pre and I just have to figure it out on my own. Sorli...
    +1. I also prefer the mobile site on my pre. It would nice to have everything redirected to the mobile site.
    Redirect would be awesome, putting an "m" in front of forum all the time gets tiring, especially when I'm using the phone one-handed.
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    +1
  8.    #8  
    Ah yes...I just got your replies and thumbs up to my notion and Precentral.net's email links point me to the full screen version of this page. Sorli...

Not very easy to read on phone and I'm hopeful more people more knowledgeable then I (not very hard to overcome) chime in...
  9.    #9  
    Update: I tried using Jason Jason Robitaille's Ad Blocker Patch and creating my own incarnation to add and point all www.precentral.net calls to m.precentral.net and that did not work.

For some reason, my patch script generates an error when running manually from inside internalz filemanager. Not sure, but may figure a way to just change the host file and see if it will even work.

Maybe Jason Robitaille can chime in with a suggestion since his original Ad Blocker patch does similar, but redirects all those Ad websites to localhost 127.0.0.1. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/30/2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Wrong name - Jason Robitaille Ad Blocker Patch