1.    #1  
    Could a patch create WMA codec support?
    It's been asked before and the answer has been 'no' due to licensing issues. It isn't as simple as a patch for this. The format is owned by Microsoft and licensing would cost too much. Best off just converting the file to another format.
  3. LWI
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    It's been asked before and the answer has been 'no' due to licensing issues. It isn't as simple as a patch for this. The format is owned by Microsoft and licensing would cost too much. Best off just converting the file to another format.
    Understood, but some of us, in an office environment with voicemails delivered by email in wma format, are stuck.

Now that Palm is owned by HP, and HP having a serious business relationship with Microsoft for PCs, I suppose the licensing cost for a simple WMA codec would not be such a big expense !

Who can pass the hint to the WEBOS 2.0 development team ???

LWI
    Quote Originally Posted by LWI View Post
    Understood, but some of us, in an office environment with voicemails delivered by email in wma format, are stuck.

Now that Palm is owned by HP, and HP having a serious business relationship with Microsoft for PCs, I suppose the licensing cost for a simple WMA codec would not be such a big expense !

Who can pass the hint to the WEBOS 2.0 development team ???

LWI
    I'm one of those people. But, there was an article (I'll try and find it for you) that broke down the cost of MS codecs and explained why so many companies are moving away from them... cost/volume is way too high to stay competitive. Even though a company like HP is large and may get a discount, that discounted price still adds up quickly on those larger volumes.
  5. LWI
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm one of those people. But, there was an article (I'll try and find it for you) that broke down the cost of MS codecs and explained why so many companies are moving away from them... cost/volume is way too high to stay competitive. Even though a company like HP is large and may get a discount, that discounted price still adds up quickly on those larger volumes.
    I would be prepared to pay for a compatible codec. How much could it go for ?

Louis