Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Explanation:

The phone has a certain signal strength. This is measured in dBm

More Info:

dBm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This value is typically fed into the operating system and then displayed as the "bars."

Just as with the battery, it's nice to have a bit more accuracy.

This is the one thing on my friends Andriod phone that I envy.
    dBm is but one factor in what makes up the "signal strength" bars. You would actually be looking at less info if the phone only displayed the dBm value.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    dBm is but one factor in what makes up the "signal strength" bars. You would actually be looking at less info if the phone only displayed the dBm value.
    I don't think it would be terribly hard to combine the bars and the radio strength, or just put them next to each other.

If you could elaborate on other factors that would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    If you could elaborate on other factors that would be great.
    One example would be.....You could have good dBm levels but a high level of noise in the signal (for any number of reasons).

In this case your phone that displays only dBm would give you the impression that things are great. Where as in an algorithm based "bars" setup the phone would be considering a number of factors and displaying your relative capability to place a reliable transmission.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5.    #5  
    One example would be.....You could have good dBm levels but a high level of noise in the signal (for any number of reasons).

In this case your phone that displays only dBm would give you the impression that things are great. Where as in an algorithm based "bars" setup the phone would be considering a number of factors and displaying your relative capability to place a reliable transmission.
    90% of the calculation is dBm.

Knowing the dBm would for example tell you if you are simply too far from a tower or between buildings and experiencing noise echo.

After seeing Apple "upgrade" their algorithm for calculating bars I'm not particularly interested in just taking Palm's word for the quality of my signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    After seeing Apple "upgrade" their algorithm for calculating bars I'm not particularly interested in just taking Palm's word for the quality of my signal.
    I'm more inclined to believe that cop-out was a lie by Apple.

But I would imagine Palm would've reviewed the algorithm right after Apple announced that, possibly making any improvements into 1.4.5.

Still, knowing more specific values instead of bars, it's not like most people will have the ability to walk half a mile to improve signal.
    ...and properly understanding those values to the point that you could make a better determination about the quality of the wireless signal than the phones algorithm requires more then 15 minutes with Wikipedia :-)
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    can't the dBm value be displayed as a raw value, while allowing the signal strength algorithm to calculate and display the bars as normal?
    yes...as long as Palm code doesn't require changing and/or there is an API for that one day.

Can it be done today? No idea.
  10.    #10  
    ...and properly understanding those values to the point that you could make a better determination about the quality of the wireless signal than the phones algorithm requires more then 15 minutes with Wikipedia :-)
    Thankfully I have BS in Electrical Engineering.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Bump

I am interested in a top bar patch....
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    ^^Really there was no need for that post.

I am always "for" more info about the phone and how its working.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    bars means nothing. It's completely arbitrary. dBm is an absolute engineering unit. Better still would be both signal strength and SNR.

if you dont know what a decibel is then don't install the patch. But I would love it.
    just spotted how old this thread was. Must have missed it first time round. I guess it must be too difficult.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    just spotted how old this thread was. Must have missed it first time round. I guess it must be too difficult.
    I don't think it is, just that everyone argues its usefulness instead of discussing how to do it

Garrett92C, I'm looking at you....
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    I don't think it is, just that everyone argues its usefulness instead of discussing how to do it

Garrett92C, I'm looking at you....
    If I knew how to pull that data, I would have made this patch by now. :P lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    cheers Garrett,

It's really about time Palm started to flesh out it's very limited API's.

is it possible to reverse engineer minidm maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If I knew how to pull that data, I would have made this patch by now. :P lol
    It has to be somewhere, after all, it gets posted every now and then into /var/log/messages

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    It has to be somewhere, after all, it gets posted every now and then into /var/log/messages

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yea, it's definitely there somewhere. Just gotta find the right way to call for it. I'll do some poking around today.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    you probably know, but it will prob be called RSSI not dBm.

try the phone app. There is a hash code that should display rssi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast