Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gotwillk View Post
    i need this desperately to tether to my OG Droid 1. i want this more than anything out of webos.
    +1 +1
    I've installed your program via preware and was pretty excited when it connected to my Nokia E72 via JoikuSpot but to my dismay, nothing worked (mail, browser or chat), though it brought up an IP address and connected the phone.

Did the new 3.0.4 update mess something up for the program?

Thanks for your hard work. Looking forward to having a working system when I go away from home.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    so i'm assuming 3.0.4 doesn't have this natively built-in still? they still haven't enabled ad-hoc connections?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    In other news...

CM7 Android on the TP tethers very well over ad-hoc. Could those drivers be used for webOS?

Thanks
    Does the patch allow a touchpad to connect to an ad hoc network broadcast by my laptop?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I have a problem with my connection dropping with WMWifi, Windows Mobile and the ad-hoc patch. I got it to stay on by lauching the public radio app creating a constant WiFi steam. Is there a way to create a constant ping between my devices without using the radio? This is very close to being good. I posted this
    connected through the ad-hoc connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by skymann View Post
    I have a problem with my connection dropping with WMWifi, Windows Mobile and the ad-hoc patch. I got it to stay on by lauching the public radio app creating a constant WiFi steam. Is there a way to create a constant ping between my devices without using the radio? This is very close to being good. I posted this
    connected through the ad-hoc connection.
    If you have xterm installed you could create the ping from there, if that is a solution to the connection being dropped then it's certainly something I could add to the ad-hoc program in a background thread.

Can you confirm that you are on webos 3.0.4, because others have reported it not working at all, and I haven't actually had any time in the last week to test myself, but hopefully will get some time in the next week.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
    If you have xterm installed you could create the ping from there, if that is a solution to the connection being dropped then it's certainly something I could add to the ad-hoc program in a background thread.

Can you confirm that you are on webos 3.0.4, because others have reported it not working at all, and I haven't actually had any time in the last week to test myself, but hopefully will get some time in the next week.
    I used the script below to force a keep alive ping and it worked a couple of times. The addition of this to your patch with inputs for the time delay (e.g 5 below) and the ping site (e.g 8.8.8.8 below). Being able to input the time would help fine tune the pings needed. I have 3.0.4

#!/bin/sh
    while true
    do
    sleep 5
    ping -c 1 8.8.8.8
    done
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
    My PM inbox is starting to get full of requests. I've had a few testers say it is working for them and a couple say it's not. I've also spoken with others who are taking a different approach altogether and working with wpa_supplicant...

But for those who want to test further here is a beta release of my ad-hoc configuration tool, it doesn't really do anything different to what's in the scripts already posted here, so thanks to the various script authors for those.

Code:
    http://nicbedford.co.uk/files/uk.co.nicbedford.adhoc_0.0.4_all.ipk
    I'm happy for feedback, but I'm not sure how much more time I want to spend on this project, seeing as others are working on better solutions, HP have updates in the pipeline(although I've not read anything to suggest that read ad-hoc support is going to be included in them) and android is now in sight (at least for those that want it!)
    Hey bedrock thanks for the app! However I get a message saying could not find ip address. I have left my DNS server window blank as I have no idea what to put in?

Please help!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    use 8.8.8.8 that is Google's public DNS.
  11. z0g
    Quote Originally Posted by vimak View Post
    My PM inbox is starting to get full of requests. I've had a few testers say it is working for them and a couple say it's not. I've also spoken with others who are taking a different approach altogether and working with wpa_supplicant...

But for those who want to test further here is a beta release of my ad-hoc configuration tool, it doesn't really do anything different to what's in the scripts already posted here, so thanks to the various script authors for those.

Code:

how do you know that there are updates coming and do you approx when? And Android, is this touch droid you are talking of?
    This is quite good. Works great on my TP on 3.0.4, tethering to PdaNet on my iPhone4 (iOS 4.1). Thanks!

I don't think this has anything to do with this patch, since it happens with the manual shell scripts as well: internet functionality differs between apps. Some apps look for wifi services and refuse to work. Some nag you a little bit and still work. Some don't work and don't tell you why they don't work.

For example, the web browser mostly works fine. Email (my accounts are on gmail) doesn't load new mail. IHeartRadio won't work, but TuneInRadio works. Di.fm works. wIRC doesn't. It's hit or miss but this is workable until a better solution arrives (such as native support in webos, or just CM7)
    Huge step in the right direction. Thank you!

I'm using HTC TouchPro2 w/ WMWifiRouter. My HP Tablet will not stay connected for much more than a minute. Even with constant browsing. The connection drops and the tablet starts popping the message, "Error: No Internet Connection". To reestablish a connection the Ad-Hoc app and WMWifiRouter must be shut down and started again. Then it will resume for another minute or so.

Also found that most apps (Box, several games, pandora, etc..) needing internet connecton won't recognise the ad-hoc connection. They return the no internet connection error.

HP catalog and web seem to work as long as the connection stays up.

Hope this helps.....This a great app filling a sorely needed gap in the HP WebOS Tablet! Thanks again and please keep going!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Can confirm this works! thanks Bedrock!
    I want to use the App Backup mannualy,but my pre 2 can be set on or off.I do not want to use auto backup.Who can make a patch to add the manual preferences?
    Works on my TP connected to Touchpro2 however the connection is dropped about every minute. Need to try and add that ping script in to see if that will help it

Thanks for the easy program!!
    could not get it to work with my iphone 4 or samsung galaxy s
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    any further progress?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
    I was able to get my Motorola Photon 4G phone to tether with my Touchpad with these steps. I read these steps on xda-developers but I can't find the link.

Steps
    1) Download and install the wifi tether beta 6 apk from here:
    wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta6 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

2) Go to Settings -> Change Device-Profile -> Samsung Galaxy S

3) Go to Settings-> Change Setup-Method -> Netd (master)

4) Press the start tethering button

5) Profit

Hope this works for those that have the Photon 4G. Also there are other device profiles that are available (ex: Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Fascinate, DroidX, etc) but I had to select Samsung Galaxy S since there is no Motorola Photon 4G profile. Don't download the wifi tether app from the Android Market since its an older version that downs't support profiles but rather then beta versions from their website.
    this works well for me with 4G connection on Nexus S 4G. Anyone know why? Also, it only works if I connect my laptop first. Otherwise the phone continually loses its connection. I should mention it is a full data connection: browser, preware, email, and RSS reader have all worked.

this seems promising for making something that works easily and consistently to me.

Code:

how do you know that there are updates coming and do you approx when? And Android, is this touch droid you are talking of?
    Works like a dream, thank you so much! Unlocks so many doors for touchpad. Providing phone is a motorola cliq running cyanogenmod7 (recent nightly build) via open garden.

WEP didn't work (IIUC not supposed to) but using the manual access-control feature (of open garden) works around that beautifully for my needs... There's also some funniness with some of the more vanilla apps like the web browser and chat program, the chat doesn't seem to work at all and the browser complains about being offline yet generally is able to regardless. Preware works tho.

Seems like a VPN to the phone may alleviate both the lack of encryption and the connection issue, but that's just a guess til I try it (or more likely, when I find someone else who's tried it :P)
    My PM inbox is starting to get full of requests... here is a beta release of my ad-hoc configuration tool...
    Code:
    This worked for me flawlessly!!! Thanks so very much, vimak.

Somebody should add this to Preware!!!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast