Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    I would still like to see a patch as my phone will not run the newer version of of Android wifi tether it gets errors. My guess is that my phone will only support ad-hoc connections. With it running a custom rom, its fast and I have no reason to get a different phone but it would be so nice to connect my TP to it while on the road. ESPN 3 live football.
    Also, all symbian users are stuck with Joikuspot as the only option and that is ad-hoc, so we really need to get this working
    Dis and jukbee like this.
  3. Dis
    Maybe I'm misremembering but wasn't Ad Hoc networking in earlier versions of webOS ?
    Add me to the list of wanting ad hoc networking.
    OK I've now got a couple of very simple shell scripts which run on the touchpad. One disables the webOS WiFi service, sets up eth0 to connect to an adhoc hotspot on my Nokia 5800 running JoikuSpot (free version at this stage), runs dhclient and hardwires my phone provider's nameserver in resolv.conf. The other script simply restarts the webOS WiFi service which effectively undoes the adhoc config and resumes normal webOS WiFi behaviour. It also restores the default resolv.conf. I've been running the scripts via Xecutah. In fact I posted this via my adhoc tethered phone. I presume I can put these scripts in a Mojo(??) wrapper to make them easier to use but I'm not up to speed with software dev for webOS. I'll post tne scripts when I have access to a real keyboard. It's very tedious doing this on the touchpad.
    This is the script I use.

I can use the web browser but not the email or messaging app.

-----

iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc essid WIFINAME
    dhclient eth0
    echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 >> /etc/resolv.conf
    echo nameserver 8.8.4.4 >> /etc/resolv.conf

-----
    jukbee and zigzagable like this.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyDAVE View Post

-----

dhclient eth0

-----
    how do we use this exactly? what do we need? for the noobs among us.
    Quote Originally Posted by roymcd View Post
    OK I've now got a couple of very simple shell scripts which run on the touchpad. One disables the webOS WiFi service, sets up eth0 to connect to an adhoc hotspot on my Nokia 5800 running JoikuSpot (free version at this stage), runs dhclient and hardwires my phone provider's nameserver in resolv.conf. The other script simply restarts the webOS WiFi service which effectively undoes the adhoc config and resumes normal webOS WiFi behaviour. It also restores the default resolv.conf. I've been running the scripts via Xecutah. In fact I posted this via my adhoc tethered phone. I presume I can put these scripts in a Mojo(??) wrapper to make them easier to use but I'm not up to speed with software dev for webOS. I'll post tne scripts when I have access to a real keyboard. It's very tedious doing this on the touchpad.

Please post these when you do get a chance =D
    Im still using my Sprint TP2, only does ad-hoc and I have been waiting to find a script to allow me to connect my TP ---> TP2

-----

dhclient eth0

-----
    Worked like a charm!
    Web browsing working perfect, Facebook tablet working and even the App Catalog!

I'm using Nokia N8 with Joikuspot Premium!
    (Oh and I used Novaterm to apply the script)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotwillk View Post
    how do we use this exactly? what do we need? for the noobs among us.
    It is not Noob friendly yet.

I am not going to give you exact instructions as this is more for the advanced user.

But the general plan is.

1. Debug Mode
    2. Preware
    3. Some sort of terminal from preware.
    4. Run the commands.

Look up how to install preware and get Xterm working. This is not for the Noob.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    i have preware already, so i just need to install xterm and run those commands in xterm? xterm is in preware?
    Need to install Xexecuter, Xserver, Xterm
    It works! I can connect to internet through Joikuspot on Nokia N8 using the script though still have some consistency problem but it works.

Thanks, rattyDAVE, you are genius!

I hope someone can tweak it to a patch or an app for easy use.
    I am not going to give you exact instructions as this is more for the advanced user.
    there are advanced people on the forums you know...

Quote Originally Posted by jukbee View Post
    Thanks, rattyDAVE, you are genius!
    actually this information was posted a couple weeks ago in the larger ad-hoc thread

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3126420
    Touchpad, webOS 3.0.2, f15c eagle 1.728GHz
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 jailbroken

-----

dhclient eth0

-----
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO TRY THIS! i can confirm it works! i am running a samsung moment android 2.2.1 rooted. i am using wifi tether for root phones. good job RattyDAVE this is what i've been looking for since i got my touchpad! the only thing left for someone to do is to make it a patch to cut out having to enter the commands.

-----

dhclient eth0

-----
    hey im just curious, what do those last two lines actually do?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

-----

dhclient eth0

-----
    Only works for about 10 seconds before settings get messed up some how, I am guessing we need to turn off some process or server that is trying to keep the wifi setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absurdo View Post
    Only works for about 10 seconds before settings get messed up some how, I am guessing we need to turn off some process or server that is trying to keep the wifi setup.
    in order for it to work you have to go to your wifi prefs and forget you current wifi network, but keeps wifi on. then run the commands and you should be connected and able to use the internet. its a pain but at least it works
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    holy crap i got it to work with my OG Droid 1! was able to browse web. followed instructions from another thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3126420

but it only worked for about a minute before it stopped. sucks.
    I keep trying but its like there is no eth0 device. I can't figure out what the problem is.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsta1423 View Post
    I keep trying but its like there is no eth0 device. I can't figure out what the problem is.
    try wlan0 instead of eth0.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast