Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    There is a genius but no solution in production

Ad-Hoc Networking - WebOS Internals
    I have been looking for an ad-hoc patch as well so I can tether. Hopefully someone comes out with one soon.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vimak View Post
    There is a genius but no solution in production

Ad-Hoc Networking - WebOS Internals
    this looks promising. has anyone tried this yet?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    this is by far my number one request, I am loving the touchpad at home by out and about I really really want to connect to my ad-hoc on my iphone4 pre4.3.3 software that I can't update without losing jailbreak

please oh please
    Looks like someone on xda-developers is offering a $50 bounty (possibly more) for someone who can create a patch to support ad-hoc capability to wifi tether.

[webOS] $50 Bounty for Adhoc support - xda-developers
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    just posted this in the HP touchpad forum but here is my fix if anyone else is in the same boat I was, I can now tether to my touchpad with my jailbroken iPhone4 when I could not before

I have been playing around and doing a bunch of research as why I could not tether my jailbroken iPhone4 to my touchpad. I was running IOS 4.2.1

I came to the conclusion that MiWi (and of course Tetherme) was not showing up when it was reported by some other users it was because I had not upgraded to 4.3.3 when Apple introduced the personal hotspot, I thought I was stuck being forced to upgrade to 4.3.5 with no current jailbreak available to make my touchpad see my hotspot if I wanted to

After doing research I found that when you open Cydia at the very top of the screen on the home page in small font, it should list a bunch of IOS versions if you happened to click SAVE MY SHSH which Cydia prompted you to do on the home screen which it was doing for a while, I had a bunch of versions ranging from 4.0.1 - 4.3.5 which means I could put the firmware of any of those versions on my phone, I decided to do 4.3.3. because it has the personal hotspot and is supported by jailbreakme.com for a super easy jailbreak

so to upgrade to 4.3.3 from 4.2.1 (or any as long as Cydia lists the IOS version at the top) do this, don't forget to do a backup first!

Update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3 while Preserving Old Baseband with TinyUmbrella | Jaxov

then when you get the error after the restore almost completes, that IS TOTALLY EXPECTED and NOTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT, do this

Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) to Exit iOS 4.3 Recovery Mode Loop | Jaxov

ALSO NOTE when you do the above you might get another common error, it's listed in the instructions at the link above but just in case you see a

"missing zlib1.dll error"

it's totally fine and like I said the fix is in the steps, here they are anyway,

"file link is in the weblink above this paragraph
    pdate#1: Some users reported that they are unable to use TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) for iOS 4.3 because of some missing zlib1.dll error. To fix this error, download zlib1.dll from here and place it in same directory in which fixrecovery43.exe is present."

after that my iPhone booted, I restored it to the backup I did right before I started, went straight to jailbreakme.com, clicked FREE, it installed, I went to Cydia, downloaded PkgBackup, clicked restore, and had my iPhone exactly as it was before but at 4.3.3 with the personal hotspot available. note I have TetherMe and MyWi installed.

anyway, this all took literally 10 minutes to do (way less then it took to type this but I hope I can help people in the same position I was) and after doing this and using the paid PkgBackup from Cydia, I have everything that was on my 4.2.1 iPhone, will all my data, apps, settings, jailbroken settings, etc was exactly how it was before and now both MiWi and TetherMe both show the network and work perfectly with the touchpad, I can use it anywhere!

*note my paid PdaNet does not work in any mode at all, from hiding data with full security to not hiding data with ZERO security, only MiWi and TetherMe work*

hope that helps anyone else in my situation!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have an eco 4g and cannot tether. I'm using barnacles WiFi tether. Tried the new WiFi tether beta but that doesn't work, any ideas ?
    Waaant
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It's the kernel I use on my Evo. Can someone recommend a kernel with undervolting that suports WiFi tether? What about one with auto bump charge?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I would say we need an adhoc prepare patch as switching kernels on the eco back to stock degraded battery life.
    No update on this yet?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I had to switch kernels on the EVO to get this to work BUT the new kernel, while it doesnt have auto-bump charge is giving me REALLY good battery life.. I am fine with the way it is..... the kernel I am using supports under/over clocking and a LOT of other things so its working great!
    Just been reading this szym.net Ad-hoc Wifi in Android and given that the touchpad uses wpa_supplicant also, could the same patch be applied?

have any of the dev's tried this?

webOs 3.0.2 appears to have wpasupplicant 0.6.10 from what I can tell

thoughts?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    this is a lost cause..
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    this is a lost cause..
    This is a bummer, my phone will only do ad-hoc wifi (Android) so no other option for me. Was hoping to use the TP on my boat.
    I was able to get my Motorola Photon 4G phone to tether with my Touchpad with these steps. I read these steps on xda-developers but I can't find the link.

Steps
    1) Download and install the wifi tether beta 6 apk from here:
    wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta6 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

2) Go to Settings -> Change Device-Profile -> Samsung Galaxy S

3) Go to Settings-> Change Setup-Method -> Netd (master)

4) Press the start tethering button

5) Profit

Hope this works for those that have the Photon 4G. Also there are other device profiles that are available (ex: Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Fascinate, DroidX, etc) but I had to select Samsung Galaxy S since there is no Motorola Photon 4G profile. Don't download the wifi tether app from the Android Market since its an older version that doesn't support profiles but rather then beta versions from their website.
    add me to the list
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    anyone with a ROOTED ANDROID 2.2 or above phone just use WIFI ROUTER and set it for AP mode (I forget what it is called) and it works.. you can even PW protect the AP...
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
    I was able to get my Motorola Photon 4G phone to tether with my Touchpad with these steps. I read these steps on xda-developers but I can't find the link.

Steps
    1) Download and install the wifi tether beta 6 apk from here:
    wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta6 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

2) Go to Settings -> Change Device-Profile -> Samsung Galaxy S

3) Go to Settings-> Change Setup-Method -> Netd (master)

4) Press the start tethering button

5) Profit

Hope this works for those that have the Photon 4G. Also there are other device profiles that are available (ex: Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Fascinate, DroidX, etc) but I had to select Samsung Galaxy S since there is no Motorola Photon 4G profile. Don't download the wifi tether app from the Android Market since its an older version that doesn't support profiles but rather then beta versions from their website.
    Thank you so much! I've been trying to get my Photon/TP tethered for a week now! This works great.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast