Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Jason, since the patch creates a backup of the uploadd file in the same event.d directory, won't it still try to launch the service using the backup file at boot?
    Correct, uploadd will be kicked off again after reboot via the backup upstart script. The current AUPT does not work nicely with upstart scripts.

The .conf changes I assume will keep the daemon from uploading anything, but patching the upstart script with AUPT doesn't accomplish anything due to how AUPT is currently designed.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckert21 View Post
    This is very interesting, after installing the patch I would periodicly loose Spint connection. I would have to toggle the Sprint Only and Automatic a few times and then restart the device to get signal again. This would happen a couple times per day. Very strange, once I uninstalled the patch I have had no more issues. Has anyone else seen this happen? Jason, what do you think?
    I don't see how that's possibly affected by his patch. I looked at what his patch does (as I'd already been modding that file myself) and what he does is tell the log uploader program on your phone to reduce log uploads from 20 times per day to 0. Then he tells the the daemon that uploads files to not run at boot, saving some resources. Also redirects the Palm server back to your phone. Doesn't seem like any of these could affect your phone connection, unless there was something that went wrong when installing.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    Correct, uploadd will be kicked off again after reboot via the backup upstart script. The current AUPT does not work nicely with upstart scripts.

The .conf changes I assume will keep the daemon from uploading anything, but patching the upstart script with AUPT doesn't accomplish anything due to how AUPT is currently designed.
    Thanks, glad to know I wasn't imagining things... I thought this was the case so I deleted the backup startup script right after installing the patch & posting my question & now all is happy with uploadd not running. Guess we need an exception location for where to store backups of startup scripts.

Just need to remember I did this if anything changes...
    Patch doesnt work for 1.4.5...
    I tried everything. But i still get an error that the patch has already being applied. "reserved" And stuff like that
    Last edited by Jason Black; 08/29/2010 at 12:11 PM.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Patch doesnt work for 1.4.5...
    I tried everything. But i still get an error that the patch has already being applied. "reserved" And stuff like that
    it does work with 1.4.5 i just installed it with no problem in my palm thats running 1.4.5
    It seems like im the only one who cant install this patch.

Weird...It just installed fine for me.

I am also receiving the patch install error. I have not done the "Setting your logging to "minimal" really speeds up Pre!" modification.

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/scriptFile.sh
    Reverse (or previously applied) patch detected! ...

Attempted patch install with latest WOSQI
    Pre running WebOS 1.4.5
    Installing the latest UberKernel turns off uploading of diagnostic information to Palm.

It does this by "chmod -x /usr/bin/uploadd"

This was actually requested by Palm, so that random crashes from extreme overclocking doesn't muddy the diagnostic logs that Palm uses to identify real issues in webOS.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Worth noting, however, that those who signed the Palm User Agreement, would probably be violating it in some form. Also worth noting that the logs collected by Palm help them in bugfixes, analysis of crashes, etc.

... this is probably an ethical dilemma for some. So I'd like to state in advance, that I'm merely providing the patch, not forcing you to use it.
    With regard to preventing the uploading of logs from devices that have been put into developer mode and had homebrew installed, there is no ethical dilemma. I have discussed the situation with Palm, and they would actually prefer that devices that have been heavily homebrewed (especially those with overclocked kernels) do *not* report data back, as it causes extra work for them to sift through spurious crashes to find the real problems.

Hence, the UberKernel now (in explicit agreement with Palm) permanently disables uploading of diagnostic data to Palm at installation time (i.e. it does not turn it back on again if you uninstall the kernel).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    hello jason,can this patch be used in veer 2.1.2??

thanks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12